Quantcast

New Bike

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
Hey guys I just picked up my first new 2009 Mongoose Fireball mountain bike yesterday. I really like the bike alot and looks really good. I used it really briefly as I only did a short commute on it. I will be taking pictures tomorrow. There are only a few things about it that I really didn't like and hopefully will be changing.

1. Seat is very hard and uncomfortable.

2. The front and back brakes aren't too good. When I press them both in fully it doesn't fully stop me on the spot. I would have liked to tried some rolling stoppies, but there is no way that I will be able to do this with these brakes. I hope that it can be adjusted or maybe I will have to buy better brakes. Any suggestions on this or upgrading to good brakes without breaking the bank (I would like to do some rolling stoppies)?

3. The bike is really a little heavier than I wanted. Can you guys give me any suggestions to lighten up the bike a little. I know switching to single speed could knock off some weight, but I like the different gears as I will also be using this bike for some trails and a little commuting.

I can't complain about nothing else. I will have to now put the bike to it's real use and hit some jumps, stairs, and trails. I will appreciate any feedback. I don't really know if this bike is considered a DJ bike or Freeride or DH, so excuse me if I posted in the wrong section.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If it still has the RST launch I'd ditch it before you kill yourself. Won't talk about the rest but you would do better if you bought something used of higher quality.

BTW. why would the seat on a dj bike need to be comfortable? And why the only guys who don't complain on the hard seats are the guys who actualy sit on them (ie. road and xc guys)

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
1) The seat is a dj saddle, it's not suppose to be comfortable.
2) The brakes suck because they probably aren't burnt in yet. Give them a ride or two and they will be burnt in and have full power.

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
1) The seat is a dj saddle, it's not suppose to be comfortable.
2) The brakes suck because they probably aren't burnt in yet. Give them a ride or two and they will be burnt in and have full power.
Thanks for the info...I will be getting a better more comfortable seat though as I will use the bike to travel some distances some times. Ok I didn't know that about the brakes I guess I will give it time and work from there.

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
If it still has the RST launch I'd ditch it before you kill yourself. Won't talk about the rest but you would do better if you bought something used of higher quality.

What is RST launch? I'm sorry I'm a newb.

As far as the bike I know that I didn't buy the best bike out there, but I think it's good for what it cost me, and I'm not going to be doing any competition racing or dirt jumping. I will mostly use for street and trails. Who knows if I get into the sport more, I will upgrade my bike and spend thousands on my next bike.