Quantcast

New Bikey - from McDonald's

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I like the McTwist reference

Los Angeles Times said:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/sfl-617bicycles,0,131261.story?coll=sfla-business-front
McDonald's branding own line of skateboards, bicycles

By Claire Hoffman
Los Angeles Times

June 17, 2005, 8:40 AM EDT

There may be a new lord in Dogtown: Ronald McDonald.

As part of its recent campaign to revamp its image, McDonald's Corp. said this week that it would begin selling branded skateboards and bikes this year at retailers such as Target Corp.

The aim, the company said, is "to help make fitness fun."

"About time," said Dr. Naomi Neufeld, a pediatric endocrinologist at UCLA, who works with obese children. "They have the marketing clout if they can get these kids off the couch and onto skateboards and bikes."

McDonald's will market the items in a partnership with DIC Entertainment of Burbank, and the product line will include videos and clothing with vintage McDonald's logos.

The move comes as the fast food giant tries to deflect criticism about its alleged role in the country's rising obesity rate.

The company recently launched a full-scale makeover of Ronald McDonald, its longtime mascot. In a series of new global TV commercials, the clown wears a tracksuit as he juggles vegetables and shoots hoops with basketball star Yao Ming.

McDonald's also launched a salad line two years ago and now offers options such as apple slices and milk in its Happy Meals.

Still, some critics have groused that the campaign is just an effort to shift attention from the company's continued high-volume sales of calorie-laden cheeseburgers and French fries. And this year, McDonald's paid $8.5 million to settle a lawsuit that accused the company of not informing consumers about delays in its plans to switch to healthier cooking oil.

There's no word yet on whether McDonald's plans to acknowledge a well-known, extremely challenging skateboarding trick by bringing back to its menu the McTwist.
Copyright © 2005, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I still don't understand how people can sue McD's for making and selling unhealthy foods. That's like jumping in a pool and being surprised that you got wet.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
kinghami3 said:
Oh God, I can't even remember the last time I at at McD's
:stupid:

*Baboon stops and thinks for a moment*

Nope, can not remember the last time. The last fast food I ate was Burger King last May while getting lost trying to find BikeGeek's house.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
..and now this:

Can McDonald's be the next Starbucks?
MSNBC | June 14, 2005 | The Associated Press

OAK BROOK, Ill. - Just outside its wooded headquarters campus, McDonald's Corp. is offering sneak previews of its fast-food future.

Now playing at its new flagship restaurant: Digital-media kiosks for burning CDs, downloading cell-phone ring tones and printing photos. Dozens of plasma-screen TVs. Wi-Fi Internet access. New chicken sandwiches. Double-lane drivethrus. And an adjoining McCafe with gourmet coffees, fancy pastries and a fireplace.

Coming soon: Other menu items and concepts not yet released to a general audience.

Don't expect Starbucks-like makeovers like this one at the 13,600 U.S. McDonald's, or 30,000-plus worldwide; the Oak Brook restaurant, which opened late last month, doubles as public restaurant and test site. But the world's largest restaurant chain is tinkering with various possibilities in technology and design to try to ensure it is a hangout of choice in the future.

"It's unlikely you'll see this exact restaurant replicated," McDonald's spokesman Bill Whitman said. "But you will see elements of this restaurant in some of our new construction. It's all about keeping our restaurants more relevant for our customers."

(Excerpt) Read more at msnbc.msn.com ...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
PBV said:
McDonalds makes me feel like I swam in a vat of greese for an hour. Big Mac = sick

Totally! The last time I ate there.....years ago, I remember having to make an 'emergency' bathroom stop shortly afterwards :eek:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
The last time I ate Mc Donald's was right before I saw "Super Size Me." Ever sine then, I have done everything I can to avoid fast food...

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
Snacks said:
Totally! The last time I ate there.....years ago, I remember having to make an 'emergency' bathroom stop shortly afterwards :eek:
one of my friends did his thesus on the direct cooilation beetween fast food and having to dump a load
he did a study and could almost time it to within 30 seconds depending on what value meal you ate

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Yup, after "Supersize Me" I swore that shait off forever....and I hate how they cater towards young children. Man, i would trust Michael Jackson more with my kids than Ronald McDonald.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Raaar said:
Yup, after "Supersize Me" I swore that shait off forever....and I hate how they cater towards young children. Man, i would trust Michael Jackson more with my kids than Ronald McDonald.
Maybe jackson should be the mcdonalds mascot.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I can't digest a single thing on the menu. It results in painful stomach situations every time ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
PBV said:
Wow that looks really good. Mmm...
Haha your honesty is noble. There are tons of other monkeys on here going mmm that looks good too, but won't post it. :D

There cannot be great pleasure without pain. :dancing:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Meh, As long as its not an everyday meal the worst food in the world cant do that much damage, no worse than the many other things we all do. Im proud to say I had a Saus Mc Muffin with egg today! The worlds most engineered food product. How do they do it? No other breakfast sandwich is like it... even the over priced ones from starbucks that taste like they are made from fake eggs.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
oly said:
worlds most engineered food product
I think that would be the McRib, the "pork" thing they used to sell that was just random bits of unidentifiable meat they molded into the shape of bones.

I can't remember the last time either, but maybe that's because I need to be really drunk to do it. Hell, it could have been last night for all I know.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
OGRipper said:
I think that would be the McRib, the "pork" thing they used to sell that was just random bits of unidentifiable meat they molded into the shape of bones.

I can't remember the last time either, but maybe that's because I need to be really drunk to do it. Hell, it could have been last night for all I know.
Last night one of the simpsons episode that had the Ribwich was on..... so funny when they poke fun at Mc D's.

Voice-over: Like a rib, it tastes like liberty. Like a rib, with a bun of sesame. We start with authentic, letter-graded meat, and process the hell out of it, till it's good enough for Krusty.
Krusty: Try my new Krusty Ribwich. Mmmm. I don't mind the taste.
Marge: Oooh, a new hamburger sandwich.
Homer Simpson: Wow, I can't wait to pack that into my colon!
Bart: Dude, take it easy on the fatty foods. You're running out of leg veins to transplant into your heart.
Homer Simpson: I've got arm veins, don't I?
Bart: Yes sir.

Ribwich mascot: Hey, hey, the Ribwich is back.
Homer Simpson: (Gasp!) The Ribwich! The commercials have come to pass.
Ribwich mascot: Try the new Ribwich. It's so good you'll croak.
Homer Simpson: You seem like an impartial observer. But I've been fooled by so many people in costumes.
Ribwich mascot: Try the sauce. I'm soaked in it.
Homer Simpson: Oh, I could lick you all day long.
Ribwich mascot: And yet my children think I'm a failure.
Homer Simpson: One Ribwich, please.
squeaky-voiced teen: Uh-huh.
Homer Simpson: ''Now without lettuce.''
[Homer eats Ribwich after Ribwich after Ribwich and then becomes delirious.]
squeaky-voiced teen: Sir, are you all right?
Homer Simpson: I have eaten the ribs of God.
squeaky-voiced teen: Drool clean-up at Register 4.

Homer Simpson: Three Ribwiches, please. And instead of a shake, I'd like a blended Ribwich.
squeaky-voiced teen: I'm sorry, sir. The Ribwich was for a limited time only.
Homer Simpson: Not again! First you took away my Philly Fudgesteak. And then my Bacon Balls. Then my Whatchamachicken. You monster!
[Lenny and Carl help a sobbing Homer walk toward the Krusty Burger's exit. Then Homer comes running back to the register.]
Homer Simpson: I'd like a large fries please, in a collector's cup.
ribhead: Dude, if you still want the Ribwich, they're testing it in other markets. Check out the tour schedule.
Homer Simpson: Oh, this is amazing. I could follow the Ribwich from town to town.
ribhead: That's what we do. We're Ribheads.
Homer Simpson: Maybe I should hook up with you guys. After all, how long do any of us have to live?
ribhead: Well, if you like the Ribwich, not very.

[The ribhead holds up a Ribwich container, which has a warning from Krusty: 'Will cause early death!']