Quantcast

new bits on the pdc

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i couldn't resist the sexy svelteness of the (oh so fashionable) wc/ali combo. also added a carbon seat & post for kicks. currently sitting at 37lbs even.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
did you also get the red pots for your hopes? maybe some red reservoir caps too?
also, red pulley bolts on that rr. der?
i mean, if youre gonna go with a theme like that...you might as well not go half arsed...

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
If light is the ultimate goal, why the boat anchor cranks? Middleburns would trim a bunch off that rig.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
sikocycles said:
How do you like the fork. I will be ordering on next week
i haven't had the fork out yet. it squishes nicely in my livingroom though. they're not fibbing on the weight, for a change - mine is 6.0lbs (trimmed steerer, no bumpers, including axle).

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Zoso said:
If light is the ultimate goal, why the boat anchor cranks? Middleburns would trim a bunch off that rig.
the atlas cranks weigh about the same as middleburns (with a decently burly bb), have an x-type bb, kickass warranty, are built locally, and are cheaper. (i'm guessing you thought those were diabolus).

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
damn nice ride man, and damn 37 is light as **** for that rig. ohh and it looks like a cane creek db to me i dont know though. very nice ride.:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
bballe336 said:
Nice bike. But why no fork bumpers? You are going to dent the hell out of the frame.
the cables double as bumpers. i'm all about minimalism.
Ciaran said:
Where can I get one of those? That's a damn sexy bike. I love the red components.
i bought mine direct from the man (kyle):
http://www.pdcracing.com/
Thrillkil said:
have fun with your PDC Disco Volante :). That looks like a sweet build.
yeah - (apart from the shock location) it's a surprisingly similar linkage configuration. definately works well, though; the full length seattube & low cg are nice improvements as well.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How does that thing pedal?

Karpiels would extend/stiffen under pedaling, much more so the smaller chainring you'd use.

I'm wondering what they would feel like in full granny 22/34.

I know they might actually be very different but I'm intrigued.

R

Rabie

Hey, could you tell me your weight and what spring rate/sag you're running? Thanks.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
kidwoo said:

Karpiels would extend/stiffen under pedaling, much more so the smaller chainring you'd use.

I'm wondering what they would feel like in full granny 22/34.

I know they might actually be very different but I'm intrigued.

never tried one with a ring smaller than 36 but they react very well to pedalling, the only time i noticed a trait like youre describing was when i used it with an extra long avy that modified the sag point a bit and had way too little compression damping, but in general they are excellent in the power transfer department.

btw tomorrow ill try see if a roco fits, the 8to5 deserves a better performing shock, trust me on that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
vitox said:
never tried one with a ring smaller than 36 but they react very well to pedalling, the only time i noticed a trait like youre describing was when i used it with an extra long avy that modified the sag point a bit and had way too little compression damping, but in general they are excellent in the power transfer department.

btw tomorrow ill try see if a roco fits, the 8to5 deserves a better performing shock, trust me on that.
The old discos got wierd around 36, the newer ones more like 32.

I had an old one with a front derailleur mount that I tried to use with a triple ring setup. It extended to a tolerable degree in the 32 but was an absolute nightmare in the 22. Your ass would rise up about 3-4 inches with every pedal stroke. It was funny to watch someone climb on it. Thankfully I usually ride alone.

It was kind of intentional in the design as a dh bike from what jan told me though (unintentional side effect?:clue: ). With a 36-44t ring it stiffened up and made the bikes accelerate pretty well before platform shocks.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
kidwoo said:
The old discos got wierd around 36, the newer ones more like 32.

I had an old one with a front derailleur mount that I tried to use with a triple ring setup. It extended to a tolerable degree in the 32 but was an absolute nightmare in the 22. Your ass would rise up about 3-4 inches with every pedal stroke. It was funny to watch someone climb on it. Thankfully I usually ride alone.

It was kind of intentional in the design as a dh bike from what jan told me though (unintentional side effect?:clue: ). With a 36-44t ring it stiffened up and made the bikes accelerate pretty well before platform shocks.

yup yup

you should fly down here so we can trade old karp stories

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
kidwoo said:
very well. i was actually surprised by the lack of (perceptable) suspension movement when hammering out of the saddle. its got a "surprisingly plush" feeling, in that the decent pedalling & lack of excess suspension movement / wallowing makes it seem like there's less travel than there is - yet it sucks up the big stuff really well - which i guess is the intention of these newfangled vp-esque designs.
Rabie said:
Hey, could you tell me your weight and what spring rate/sag you're running? Thanks.
160lb/400lb/~2.5"

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
danm sweet build man.
what rims are those? i think i see alu nipple too? and i asume you are running getto tubeless too?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
dhkid said:
danm sweet build man.
what rims are those? i think i see alu nipple too? and i asume you are running getto tubeless too?
thanks. they're rhyno xl's, alu nipples, ti spokes front, db steel rear. i'm running regular tubes - i've yet to be convinced that the minimal weight savings of ghetto is worth the hastle/mess.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
The major advantage of tubeless is NOT weight savings. It decreases rolling resistance and helps absorb small bumps. But if ya gotta have tubes to feel comfortable, by all means...

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
sbabuser said:
The major advantage of tubeless is NOT weight savings. It decreases rolling resistance and helps absorb small bumps. But if ya gotta have tubes to feel comfortable, by all means...

why does tubeless reduce rolling resistance?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Due to the friction created between tube and tire.The bikes weight has to push against this resistance as it rolls forward,so in effect its like constantly rolling over something small or up a slight incline.Can't say I can notice it and I think my brains what mainly slows me down but. Tubless is better for pinch flats,I'm just running Mavic 823 and Michelin tyre(tubless) on the rear for that reason,and Xc tube front.

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
Thats pretty sweet, mines currently around the 38lb mark but there is plenty of weight still to shed, running 03 WC's with ti axle and springs so not much to be saved there but will soon be switching to revox rear shock, middleburn cranks, gamut chain device, maxm bars, 2.35high roller up front and saint brakes which should loose me about another 3lbs :)
Id imagine your frame will be wee bit lighter too as im running the 12mm version, whats the QR one like stiffness wise?

p.s get your linkages ano'd black ;o)

R

Rabie

Moominator said:
Thats pretty sweet, mines currently around the 38lb mark but there is plenty of weight still to shed, running 03 WC's with ti axle and springs so not much to be saved there but will soon be switching to revox rear shock...
I don't think that the Revox will fit. Neither the Fox RC nor the DHX will fit because the reservoir sticks out too far, too close to the eyelet, and I think the Revox does this even more severely. When I asked Kyle about the Cane Creek DB, he said even that would be tight, if it fit at all, and the reservoir on that is angled a lot like the Swinger. I'm going to steal one (the DB) from a friend of mine and try to cram it in there, though, so we'll see.

Also, good call on the ano linkage. I was thinking about doing that, but I'm sure that when my frame gets here, I'm just going to want to ride it. Looks nice, though.

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
im pretty sure the cane creeks fit as the ride central gumball team are running them on their 825s. Ill have a measure up on the revox again, if not i may just have to go for a remote res dhx and mount the res on the back of the seat tube.... need to get that swinger out of there tho :)

eddiegold

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
moominater have you tried sending the manipoo off to tf tuned mine felt tons better after he had done a few bits to it.
My pdc has got to be pushing45lbs with a full saint build and shivers, hopefully when i've got some dosh i'll try and get the weight down