Quantcast

new bits on the pdc

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
sbabuser said:
The major advantage of tubeless is NOT weight savings. It decreases rolling resistance and helps absorb small bumps. But if ya gotta have tubes to feel comfortable, by all means...
well 2lbs saved in rotational weight seems alot doesn't it if you are runnig dh tubes.:oink:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Moominator -
Did you get the links/dropouts anodized yourself, or is kyle rolling them out like that now? If/when I get one that'll be the first thing on the list, looks so much more professional.

xy9ine -
Looks fantastic as always. Looks so much nicer than with the WB fork too. Measured the BB height? Curious. Looks highish but only thanks to the small guide/bash, guessing it's around 14.4".

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
dhkid said:
well 2lbs saved in rotational weight seems alot doesn't it if you are runnig dh tubes.:oink:
I don't think anybody runs DH tubes in the front(XC) and not sure how much a geto set up would weigh.
I added everything up between Mavic 823 running tubless and 521 running tubes and 521 was lighter by at least half lb maybe one lb(can't remember).

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
xy9ine said:
~8.7lbs without shock (with qr dropouts). mine is 10.5lbs with the 6way & ti spring.

hi
i got a different figure for that weight

3,8 kilos for the frame w/o shock but with shock bolts and qr dropouts
thats 8,38lbs
3,9 kilos with t/a dropouts and axle (stock axle is alloy) thats 8,61lbs

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
Udi said:
Moominator -
Did you get the links/dropouts anodized yourself, or is kyle rolling them out like that now? If/when I get one that'll be the first thing on the list, looks so much more professional.

xy9ine -
Looks fantastic as always. Looks so much nicer than with the WB fork too. Measured the BB height? Curious. Looks highish but only thanks to the small guide/bash, guessing it's around 14.4".
I got the links and dropouts anodized myself not sure if kyles got the equipment to anodize but its maybe worth asking, it does make them look an awful lot better (imo) particularly if your main frame is black or white.

My bb is 13.75 inch, but i do run a slightly steeper than normal head angle due to the nature of most uk dh tracks so with the forks pushed through further 14inch is about the norm with 7inch boxxers. I had 888rc2xs on first (which were crap) and the bb was about 14.3 with those.

no skid marks said:
I don't think anybody runs DH tubes in the front(XC) and not sure how much a geto set up would weigh.
I added everything up between Mavic 823 running tubless and 521 running tubes and 521 was lighter by at least half lb maybe one lb(can't remember).
Think your maths is wrong there mate. I switched from 729rims to the 823s saved roughly 100gs per rim, 200g front tube, 400g rear tube. Ran the same michelin 2.2 comp16s at first so no weight gain there. Thats a immediate saving of 800g which is knocking on for 2lbs. That is of course unless your 521s were made from a material which has negative mass :o)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Udi said:
Measured the BB height? Curious. Looks highish but only thanks to the small guide/bash, guessing it's around 14.4".
it's a lowrider - sitting at about 13.5"; the michelin 2.2's & flush reducer headset drop things down a bit. i've got a 25mm rise bar on the way to replace the high protaper - it does feel a bit tall right now with the ali (i had an inverted / reverse rise stem on there previously). i :heart: low bikes.

moom - those black links look great. i just happen to have an anno shop a block away from work. hmmm...

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
yeah they are worth getting done, main reason i got mine done (other than the fact im not a big fan of silver) is so that i didnt have to worry about the bare alu getting tarnished/pitted and having to polish them.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i think they're clear anno'ed. they still look new after 6 months. regardless, the black would match my fork crowns, presenting a cohesive unified aesthetic which is of course the most important thing in the world.

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
xy9ine said:
i think they're clear anno'ed. they still look new after 6 months. regardless, the black would match my fork crowns, presenting a cohesive unified aesthetic which is of course the most important thing in the world.
ah bugger if id know that.........

id still have gone ahead and done them black :)

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
sbabuser said:
What makes you say that? How long did you try them b4 swapping?
had them on for about 2 months, and thats riding a minimum of 4 times a week. 3 oil changes and loads of adjustment and they just still wouldnt work as well as the tftuned 04 888r's i had previous.

One of the main problems i had was that they were really unbalanced on the pdc, it just wanted to nose dive everytime i jumped it, i even ran my rear rebound far slower than i would prefer to to counter act this. They also felt really dead, i didnt seem to get anyfeedback through the forks as to what the front wheel was doing, i got dumped on my face a few times when i didnt even realise that the front wheel had been sliding until after i had picked the twigs out of my teeth.

I dont think the frame helped much with this either as it makes so much rear grip. Even with a 2.5 front and high psi 2.35 rear the front end was always letting go first (not confidence inducing).

I got fed up and tried the boxxers, didnt touch the settings on them, and inside one day at my local trail was knocking about 6 seconds off my average run time on a 2min track.. 888s were sacked, boxxers bought and i havent looked back since.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Moominator said:
had them on for about 2 months, and thats riding a minimum of 4 times a week. 3 oil changes and loads of adjustment and they just still wouldnt work as well as the tftuned 04 888r's i had previous.

One of the main problems i had was that they were really unbalanced on the pdc, it just wanted to nose dive everytime i jumped it, i even ran my rear rebound far slower than i would prefer to to counter act this. They also felt really dead, i didnt seem to get anyfeedback through the forks as to what the front wheel was doing, i got dumped on my face a few times when i didnt even realise that the front wheel had been sliding until after i had picked the twigs out of my teeth.

I dont think the frame helped much with this either as it makes so much rear grip. Even with a 2.5 front and high psi 2.35 rear the front end was always letting go first (not confidence inducing).

I got fed up and tried the boxxers, didnt touch the settings on them, and inside one day at my local trail was knocking about 6 seconds off my average run time on a 2min track.. 888s were sacked, boxxers bought and i havent looked back since.

interesting

how tall are you?

my point is that since the 8to5 is med/long front end mated to a VERY short rear end bike, it tends to have the effect you describe on weight distribution for people my size and under

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
im 5'10 and size wise it feels pretty much bang on, i see where your coming from about the geo of the frame though. Still it works a treat now, and feels far better all round.
Be interesting to hear how you get on with the roco!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Moominator said:
My bb is 13.75 inch
xy9ine said:
it's a lowrider - sitting at about 13.5"; the michelin 2.2's & flush reducer headset drop things down a bit.
Wow. Are you guys measuring from ground to centre of BB? (not bottom)... those figures sound too low.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, low is good.

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
on mine thats to the centre of the bb, just measured it again with someone holding the bike vertical (not trying to do it myself and measure at the same time), it was a little bit higher but still sub 14inch. Also now running a 2.5 high roller up front not a 2.35 as when i measured it last time so a bit of difference from that too.

Its pretty much bang on anyway, my mates pdc dh-one is around the 13inch mark and its just that bit too low (epsecially with another 1.25inch of travel) and just grounds out a little too much for my liking :(

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Udi said:
Wow. Are you guys measuring from ground to centre of BB?
yes. coming from a bike with an inch higher bb, i was surprised how noticable / beneficial the lower cg was. definately a low bb convert am i .

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Moominator said:
Think your maths is wrong there mate. I switched from 729rims to the 823s saved roughly 100gs per rim, 200g front tube, 400g rear tube. Ran the same michelin 2.2 comp16s at first so no weight gain there. Thats a immediate saving of 800g which is knocking on for 2lbs. That is of course unless your 521s were made from a material which has negative mass :o)
edit, sorry got the weights wrong, the 729 is like 20g heavier.
no skid marks, i run dh tubes in the front. but i am trying out lighter tubes from time to time, still cont get my self round to run anything other then dh tubes for races.

Moominator

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
UK
I run a 2.35 maxxis or a 2.2 michelin. Ive had a 2.5 michelin comp24 in there too but there wasnt a vast amount of mud clearance. Its pretty much the only niggle ive got with the frame as i like to run a comp32 or for my annual month trip to france. Guess ill just have to take 2 or 3 comp24s instead :o)

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
dhkid said:
edit, sorry got the weights wrong, the 729 is like 20g heavier.
no skid marks, i run dh tubes in the front. but i am trying out lighter tubes from time to time, still cont get my self round to run anything other then dh tubes for races.

Dont forget about the weight of 32 steel eyelets, they are not included in the rim weight. The tubeless setup is still lighter but the 823's are heavier when you include the eyelets.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah I just used mavic specs for my calculations so I'm more than likelly wrong.
I used Mavic specs(**** no I think I did actually weight them with the srew in nipple holders).
I weighed DH rear XC front tubes
Can't remember what tires i was figuring on using,maybee Maxxis with some slime.
Unfortunatelly I can't remember weights or exact details but thye were heavier to run the 823s,I'm sure I did it accuratelly but yeah I could well be wrong.
I'm running 823 rear with Michelin and the tyre pops on so nicelly,1st go with track pump,pro set up.
Just running single track with tube front I think.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if i remeber correctly, the mavic weights are with the eyelets. the rim is something like 570 grams with out the eyelets.

dame1chesco

Chimp
Aug 19, 2005
vitox said:
never tried one with a ring smaller than 36 but they react very well to pedalling, the only time i noticed a trait like youre describing was when i used it with an extra long avy that modified the sag point a bit and had way too little compression damping, but in general they are excellent in the power transfer department.

btw tomorrow ill try see if a roco fits, the 8to5 deserves a better performing shock, trust me on that.

a rocco sifredi on antonios bike?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i ve been watching this thread since it s birth... gotta say thats a crook ride :thumb:

if i could rail that with a dialled 888 and a couple of other personal changes i d be stoked...

damn, there is so many nice frames out there... makes selecting a new ride hard(er)...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
xy9ine said:
yes. coming from a bike with an inch higher bb, i was surprised how noticable / beneficial the lower cg was. definately a low bb convert am i .
same here went from a 14.8 bike to a 14in bb bike, but now i run more sag too. soo low and fast... untill it comes to pedaling.:dead: need shorter cranks.
i heard the 825 is really responsive? it that true? coz the only thing i hate about the vpp is the dead feel, makes you go too fast.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
Rabie said:
I don't think that the Revox will fit. Neither the Fox RC nor the DHX will fit because the reservoir sticks out too far, too close to the eyelet, and I think the Revox does this even more severely. When I asked Kyle about the Cane Creek DB, he said even that would be tight, if it fit at all, and the reservoir on that is angled a lot like the Swinger. I'm going to steal one (the DB) from a friend of mine and try to cram it in there, though, so we'll see.

Also, good call on the ano linkage. I was thinking about doing that, but I'm sure that when my frame gets here, I'm just going to want to ride it. Looks nice, though.
I'd love a report on your findings with the Cane Creek DB, as that's the one i've got my heart set on.

R

Rabie

CreeP said:
I'd love a report on your findings with the Cane Creek DB, as that's the one i've got my heart set on.
UPS says my frame will be here next week, but I'm not sure when my friend will be getting his shock. As soon as it's all here and I can give it a try, I'll let you know.

Just weighed up all the parts I have and I should see my PDC sitting at about 43 lbs., which I'm happy with - light enough to go fast, strong enough to sent it without worries. Here's the build, should have the frame in about a week, and hopefully the brakes to finish it off soon after that.

PDC Frame with Swinger (blue)
Fox 40R
D521 (silver) on Abbah 20mm front
D521 (silver) on Chris King (gold) rear
Sram 8-speed X-7 Shifter/Der.
Avid 7" Juciy-7 brakes
Diablous cranks (silver)
Diablous bars
Thomson 30.0 post
SDG freeride seat
Dangerboy 36T ring/guard (black/pewter)
E.13 chainguide
Tompson X4 stem
Chris King headset (pewter)
Kenda Nevegal 2.5fr/2.35rr DH casing, DH tubes
NYC Freeride flat pedals

I'll get some pics up in here as soon as I can.
Dave