Quantcast

new blade

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
what threats does one encounter when float fishing?

that said, since it has a lock wouldn't it be more ergonomical if it was secured blade-up?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

that said, since it has a lock wouldn't it be more ergonomical if it was secured blade-up?
Fishing off a kayak. turtling and getting tangled in fishing lines, rigging, anchor lines etc. yeah blade up works put then the handle blocks access to my fly boxes and other fly fishing gear or spinning gear in the zipper pockets. Its a matter of what do I use all the time vs my what if gear, just like the waterproof marine VHF handi-talkie on my shoulder and the rescue whistle on a lanyard I have them, they are accessable but I hope to never need to use them

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It does resemble your typical Constitutional Expert's AR-15.
Pew-pew-paddle!

Whatever works for you Eric, there are no bad days on the water.
Other than the ones when you find yourself without Leslie at your side.

Be prepared.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
One can never have too many knives.
Nope. You simply can't. I make em and I still add to the collection.

Take a closer look and you'll see a blunt tip knife that isn't for 'threats' in the same way you'd think. This is for threats like entanglement instead. It's for safety.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
got any pics of your work you can share?

and yes, knives, like bikes, are an N+1 situation

www.AFisherknives.com

Have a lot to add to the site, but those three are where I'm at at the moment, with a few designs in the works including a hawk and a folding custom blade. They aren't cheap, but, they aren't cheap ;)

F02 was done in collaboration with some CANSOF SF guys and they are being used for that duty, which is kind of cool.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
www.AFisherknives.com

Have a lot to add to the site, but those three are where I'm at at the moment, with a few designs in the works including a hawk and a folding custom blade. They aren't cheap, but, they aren't cheap ;)

F02 was done in collaboration with some CANSOF SF guys and they are being used for that duty, which is kind of cool.
Beautiful.
What sheath options do you offer?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Beautiful.
What sheath options do you offer?
Thanks!
I form Kydex, 8-8 eyelets, and use paracord for loops as per the SF guys. The pocket recess in the blade (*right side) is actually for molding kydex into, so it 'clicks' in and has good retention. The Kiri I offer leather but even then the kydex is standard.

Can do or get other sheaths, but I think kydex is the best for actual use. it's a little hard on finishes but lasts a long time and performs well. easy to keep clean.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have huge respect for knife makers. I took an easy route once, bought a finished blade and added scales and a kydex sheath. Dad likes it.

I have a few custom knives (mostly folders), some Fallkniven pieces, and it is a great hobby, but what got me even more addicted to sharp steel is straight razors that open the door to a wonderful addiction of natural hones. Some of the Japanese naturals make MTBs look like a cheap hobby...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ beauty. I'd like to make a straight razor at some point. I have the steel I want to use (Vanadis 23 @64rc) already cut out but I'd need to wire EDM it to shape. Straight razors were actually the first thing I wanted to try, so I joined a forum, asked questions, and the amount of 'traditional' BS made me high tail it out of there within a week! They are so 'effn traditional. Must be O1 or W1 (Two pretty sub par steels compared to what I use), must have this shape, must have x, must have y. So I said fuck it and made knives. I'll make a few for myself and to sell, but man that's a tough 'crowd' in terms of brining something new and better to the table. They love things being the same as they were 100 years ago.

I hear you on hones. I've got so much invested in just tools/materials for the edges, with much more room to grow. Wicked edge system next. I finish up on whetstones and strops.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pretty knives are pretty, but you should never own a knife you aren't willing to use.

Always been a fan of the Gerber Gator Drop points. Can be opened with a flick of the wrist, always has some in some kind of good steel, Lightweight, relatively inexpensive and easy to put a sharp as fuck edge on it.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Yup. my knives are strapped to the chest rigs on CSOR, SEAL, and SWAT team guys. The hunters are used for hunting, fishing, etc. I think four are in 'collections' but I emphasize that my knives are tools first and foremost. That said, fixed blades > folders for actual hard use. Most folders have flimsy bushing or bearing systems that don't support load. I'll be using IGUS bushings with a very wide flange to keep 'hard use' as the M.O.

I'll post up some pics later. Got a few from Petra and Iraq.

Did I mention I love knives?

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pretty knives are pretty, but you should never own a knife you aren't willing to use.

Always been a fan of the Gerber Gator Drop points. Can be opened with a flick of the wrist, always has some in some kind of good steel, Lightweight, relatively inexpensive and easy to put a sharp as fuck edge on it.
I cut miles of line in the Navy with my Gator, still have it. That is the perfect deck blade. It keeps a sharp edge, too. 2 1/2" synthetic mooring lines can dull most blades in a few cuts, my Gator did it like butter. I made pretty lines, so I got to redo all mooring and deck lines while we were in the yards. Better than busting rust and chipping paint. :rofl:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I hear you on hones. I've got so much invested in just tools/materials for the edges, with much more room to grow. Wicked edge system next. I finish up on whetstones and strops.
I started with synthetic hones, but quickly switched to all naturals with the exception of coarse stones for bevel setting. Nothing beats a coarse diamond plate for that job.

I have a bunch of Belgian Coticules, some British stones (Charnley forest being the most interesting one), and two fine Japanese finishers that I spent too much money for, they are literally collectible items.

One more razor picture, this one rings and shaves like no other:

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Beauty. Are you using strops for keeping it honed? Old leather belt, strip of straight wood, glue, and some polishing compound will go a long way to a razor edge.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Beauty. Are you using strops for keeping it honed? Old leather belt, strip of straight wood, glue, and some polishing compound will go a long way to a razor edge.
I am not a big fan of loaded leader stops. The natural finishers give me more "comfortable" edge and more consistent results.

One more pic: a super thin ground Heljestrand in ivory scales.

Westy: I could if I did.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Really? I'm using magnification to review edge and leather always provides a cleaner micro edge than stones, as it's only honing vs removing material. granted I've got a few different stages, and o1 will behave differently than some steels, and what your are comfortable with will always provide better results

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I guess there is such thing as "too sharp" - double edge blades offer superb edges, yet they are harsh and do not glide over one's face as smoothly as straight razors. I used to use all kinds of magnifiers to look at edges (I have some nice loupes for focusing view cameras) but now I just look at the way the edge reflects light. In my naive opinion, pasted strops produce micro bevels that just make the razors feel a little differently. It is all a personal preference after all.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Ah. That makes sense. You are shaving with yours so that's what you mean by comfort. I'm ok with the secondary micro bevel because it makes a stronger edge, which is prime to me. Horses for courses!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
this is my latest knife. im still waiting on BH Knives to make me a clever with the scaling i want but theyve been dragging their feet.
ive always wanted to get my family's 300+ year old samurai swords sharpened but never found anyone i could trust to do it

Attachments

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this is my latest knife. im still waiting on BH Knives to make me a clever with the scaling i want but theyve been dragging their feet.
ive always wanted to get my family's 300+ year old samurai swords sharpened but never found anyone i could trust to do it
no weeb shit