Quantcast

new blade

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have what ended up being semi-cheap prototype boot knife that has some cool features. I got a little too into knives when I started training escrima with Al in his little ghetto studio in Portland back in the early 90's. He was the most humble guy I met until Westly Snipes got a hold of him. :rofl:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Here's a couple of knives that I lust after:

The Miyabi series which is commercially available.

I've tried this one and it is without a doubt the sharpest blade I have ever picked up. It was nothing to shave a paper thin slice off the end of a raw potato that you could see through. The corner edge towards the handle is actually so sharp that just barely touching your finger to it draws blood. If I ever buy one I will consider taking it to the studio and knocking that corner off.

This one I have not tried and probably never will as the master bladesmith is no longer making them. The Hattori KD Series:

moar

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Here is my fanciest folder, custom made to order by a Czech knife maker. The blade is only ~2" long so it is legal to carry in most of Mass. including paranoid Boston.

Blade and spring are bulat steel with wonderful grain (it is modern wootz - not folded / forged steel), scales are mammoth ivory, liners are blue titanium, bolsters are blued folded nickel steel IIRC.

I have couple more crazy custom knives, one with ratcheting lock of the spanish Navaja design.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
That's a beauty. Gentlemens folders are pretty cool. Nice for when you need to look dapper but still want to respect the cardinal rule of being functional: carrying a knife.

So when are you going to order one of mine? :butcher: haha

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Here's a couple of knives that I lust after:

The Miyabi series which is commercially available.

I've tried this one and it is without a doubt the sharpest blade I have ever picked up. It was nothing to shave a paper thin slice off the end of a raw potato that you could see through. The corner edge towards the handle is actually so sharp that just barely touching your finger to it draws blood. If I ever buy one I will consider taking it to the studio and knocking that corner off.

This one I have not tried and probably never will as the master bladesmith is no longer making them. The Hattori KD Series:

moar
So I have to ask, have you made any blades or played with the process at all?

Those are damn fine knives.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
So I have to ask, have you made any blades or played with the process at all?

Those are damn fine knives.
Yeah, a little bit. I made a bench knife several years ago from an old file. Nothing fancy;

Tool making is actually a point of pride among smiths. I've made stakes, mallets, hammers, and countless jigs over the years. Any young metalsmith with a little cash can go out and buy every tool they need, but the really good ones make their own.

An interesting fact about blade making is that tool steel is non-magnetic when heated to a specific temperature during the hardening process. You hold a magnet up to a red hot piece of steel and it won't stick, cool.

I have a nice piece of 1/8" thick ebony that would make a great handle. Might have to make another knife some day.

As far as Damascus (woodgrain pattern), I have not done any of that. Smiths that produce either Damascus steel or Mokume Gane (the non-ferrous counterpart) tend to focus solely on that one technique as it is insanely time consuming and takes many years to master.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
For blades with a standard US angle, which escapes me at the moment, I prefer a Crock Stick for sharpening:

Been using one since I was 10. Keeps the blade clean and sharp if used often. However if a blade has been neglected, then I have to break out the wetstone.

Remember kids, a dull knife is a dangerous knife.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Remember kids, a dull knife is a dangerous knife.
words to live by and tell my wife this every time she sees a "cheap, pretty knife" at a gun show. ive seen more people hurt while trying to cut with a dull knife then with a sharp knife. i use Lansky's stones for my knives and have had great luck with them.