Quantcast

New Body Armor

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
Most of you already read my thread about graduating 8th grade. I'm using the money I got to buy new body armor. What would you reccomend out of the following suits. 661 Comp Suit, RockGardn Flak Jacket and the Fox Launch suit. I'm new to dh so I will proably be taking a few bad crashes.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Glad to see a young'n see the value of armor. I see way too many groms at the races get thrashed for the fashionista "Too cool for armor" look.

I've got an '06 Roackgardn flak jacket that's served me well and didn't break the bank. Have fun out there.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
psht
he's young.. when I fell when I was that age. it was always right back up

getting old sucks

but props to for wearing the armor!

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
I just got a RG FlakJacket., first use will be this weekend @ diablo. But fits extremely well, and is pretty comfortable.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
The flak jackets a pretty beastly suit, it protects well but its a little bulky. Saved my liver/intestines once at Plattekill.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm currently running the '07 RG Flak Jacket. It rulz. Ran the '06 for a season and then upgraded...they seem to be getting better and better year after year. I love mine. Saved me so many times at Whistler last year it's not even funny.

The '07/'08 version breathes way better than the '06 for sure.

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
i think it is great that you are wearing armor! so many people do not understand all the value that it has.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have the old style flak jacket. It works well, but is definitely warmer than the new style. They all fit a bit different, so try a few on. All the 661's I tried on were too big for me for some reason...

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
Its not one that you listed, but my Core Saver is sick. It doesn't limit my mobility at all and I barely notice it while riding. My parents make me wear it I'd rather not, but with the core saver its not really that bad.

TJMX133

Chimp
May 3, 2006
santa barbara
motocross chest protect is IMO better with some elbow pads. my 661 pressure suit was hot, restrict movemnets, and had some flimsy pad for chest protection. I now have have the 661 chest protector and fox comp elbow pads, and its been perfect. i've crashed multiple times, and the chest protector has been awesome! it even save me from a possible bad injury at angelfire race, i hit a stump that taco'd my wheel and I landed on another stump on my chest. I think that the hard plastic of my chest protector is the only thing that kept me from breaking a rib or something else! but is all my opinion. just a suggestion

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Wearing a roost guard is the stupidest thing i have ever herd of. There is no padding it it at all. I will stop a rock from a 450 from breaking a rib but when in dh was the last time you go hit in the chest with a rock from a 450. I will stop you bars from going through you but i will probably not stop a major impact the way a pressure suit or something similar. It is better then nothing but it is a false sense of security

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
Wearing a roost guard is the stupidest thing i have ever herd of. There is no padding it it at all. I will stop a rock from a 450 from breaking a rib but when in dh was the last time you go hit in the chest with a rock from a 450. I will stop you bars from going through you but i will probably not stop a major impact the way a pressure suit or something similar. It is better then nothing but it is a false sense of security
:clapping:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
dainese all the way!

they are a bit more expensive, but if your parents pay for the armour then cost really can't be an issue

"it's SOOOOO much safer mom! and it's only 100€ more expensive!, Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, mommy!"

this works with my wife too. everything bike-related i buy lately is safety related, even my new wheel set, don't ask me how. :-)

Anyway: dainese make great stuff, it worked very well for me in the past. my safety-jacket is ca. 4 years old and its only flaw is, that it stinks like a dead animal (despite washing it regularly).

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
rock gardn elbow pads come off to wear alone, turtle back comes off, I ride with a camelback and a 100liter bladder for spine protection.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I have used 661 Rockgarden and Dainese, the Dainese is hands down the most comfortable and least restrictive.