Quantcast

New Bottom Bracket...?

Dirt Jumper

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Well, a week ago or so I posted a message about a crackling bottom bracket. Well I got a "tune-up" at the bike shop I bought the bike from, and they replaced it with a brand new FSA BB that is supposedly better than my other Truvativ BB. But on my old one, there was a little seal that screwed onto the bottom bracket on my frame, and with this FSA one it just goes right in. I asked about this and they said that FSA doesn't come with those, but could I put the Truvativ one back on there?? Because it looks like dirt will get in there, even though it's sealed.. I don't want dirt all in there. I'll post some pictures for better understanding once my camera charges.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
i HAVE HAD LOTS OF LUCK WITH BOTH TV AND FSA. THE TV COMES WITH AN O-RING BUT, i HAVE NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE FSA GETTING DIRTED UP. A GOOD TRICK IS TO COVER THE ENTIRE BB WITH A COATING OF GREASE BEFORE INSTALLING, THIS KEEPS WATER AND DIRT FROM GETTING INTO THE BEARINGS.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, you should always coat the threads of the BB with grease before installing, but wipe off any grease afterwards that may be outside the BB, as dirt will build up on it. Between the grease and a tight installation, it should keep 98% of the crap out of the BB. Frankly, it's not such a big deal if a small amount of stuff gets between the BB and the frame.

Don't install your Truvativ seal, just keep the FSA as it is. FSA makes good bottom brackets, don't worry about it.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
what binary visions said is right on the money. Also, if you want to learn more about the components on your bike, go check out the manufacturers websites.