Quantcast

New brake pads -- rubbing normal?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just installed new brake pads in my Hayes hydros, and made sure to push the pistons back all the way as per the Hayes manual. Despite this, my brakes rub lightly for nearly the whole wheel revolution, and no amount of adjustment seems to help. Did I do something wrong? (Things I've checked already: that the pads are in properly, in the correct inside/outside orientation, and that the springs on the pad backs are strong enough -- I gave them an extra tweak)

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
if it's just a slight bit of rub it's probably b/c it's not alligned just right. The calipers can be a real pain to get right, there are a good range of adjustments, but the design for getting it right is bad. After about 40 brakes the pads should break in a wear a little and that might do it.
Other than that it really sounds like the pistons aren't pushed back all the way. You have to push pretty hard, just make sure you don't bend the pad mount. I'd bring it to your LBS if i were you, so if it breaks you can blame it on them, lol.
hope this helps some

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm just going to wait until the pads wear down a little. These new ones (EBC) really looked thick, much thicker than the worn pads they replaced.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Toshi
I just installed new brake pads in my Hayes hydros, and made sure to push the pistons back all the way as per the Hayes manual. Despite this, my brakes rub lightly for nearly the whole wheel revolution, and no amount of adjustment seems to help. Did I do something wrong? (Things I've checked already: that the pads are in properly, in the correct inside/outside orientation, and that the springs on the pad backs are strong enough -- I gave them an extra tweak)
You just need to readjust the caliper.