Quantcast

New brakes?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am thinking about getting new brakes to replace my 05 Hayes. I ride mostly DH here on the East coast with 2-4 minutes down hills. I am 160 lbs. without gear and I don't drag my breaks.

Tried Saints one day and they were great, Formula The One looks very nice and light.

Let me know what you suggest and why?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Avid Juicy 7's. Awesome power, adjustable, light and pretty cheap.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Shimanos or Formulas are the only brakes I'll use anymore. Avids are made like complete crap and fade badly. Hayes Strokers also fade and have zero power to begin with.

The Formula 1's are pretty much the baddest brakes around, but you'll pay for them. Saints are strong as hell and as someone else said, easy to maintain and set up. I ran them for a season and had no problems and I would run them again. I can't say the same for Hayes or Avid or Hope.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am not crazy about the lever feel and the lever itself on Avid Code and Juicy. I like the lever feel on the Saints as they better not to big hands.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I absolutely LOVE my Codes, and Juicy 7's.

The Saints on the other hand I completely and utterly hate. They are a small step up in feel and performance from my hayes 9's! I never understood all the hype the Saints got......

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Shimanos or Formulas are the only brakes I'll use anymore. Avids are made like complete crap and fade badly. Hayes Strokers also fade and have zero power to begin with.

The Formula 1's are pretty much the baddest brakes around, but you'll pay for them. Saints are strong as hell and as someone else said, easy to maintain and set up. I ran them for a season and had no problems and I would run them again. I can't say the same for Hayes or Avid or Hope.
Are you kidding????? Strokers have a ton of power, As far as fade, I need to put a real good DH run on them to really account for it, But I have seen a problem yet, And Defently feel better than My avids.

P.S. Not trying to bag on the Formulas, great product

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Eh, I've ridden 5 pairs of new/broken in Strokers. Pretty much b@lls.

Everyone I know with them is taking them off in favor of anything else.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Eh, I've ridden 5 pairs of new/broken in Strokers. Pretty much b@lls.

Everyone I know with them is taking them off in favor of anything else.
Not to Derail the thread..... But May I ask where your riding and the average run time your in??? I mean If I am going to have a problem with these, I would like to know where tis going to be.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
FORMULAS! :thumb:
I have Biancos and I bought "the ones" today.
I came from mono 6tis to biancos and they have been slowing my big self down flawless for a year. The ones are more powerful outa the box and STUPID SICK lever controls as far as contact and adjustment.
I have my biancos on my F1 and my ones are on my jedi F1. SICK BRAKES! I weigh 220lbs btw and have had some serious long steep descents in the NW on them and Mt wilson here. No issues at all.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
FORMULAS! :thumb:
I have Biancos and I bought "the ones" today.
I came from mono 6tis to biancos and they have been slowing my big self down flawless for a year. The ones are more powerful outa the box and STUPID SICK lever controls as far as contact and adjustment.
I have my biancos on my F1 and my ones are on my jedi F1. SICK BRAKES! I weigh 220lbs btw and have had some serious long steep descents in the NW on them and Mt wilson here. No issues at all.
It amazes me how you keep talking about those Hopes for a full year but then you go buy new Formulas :D

The One's are the shiat :monkeydance:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
It amazes me how you keep talking about those Hopes for a full year but then you go buy new Formulas :D

The One's are the shiat :monkeydance:
Ive been running formulas for over a year (biancos) and now the ones. Im ordering the goodrige ss line kit tomorrow with red fittings/clear hose for these as well. Same as whats on the biancos! :D
My Hope mono 6tis were my benchmark by which all other brakes had to match and the formulas have so far.
Formulas :thumb:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Seriously, with all the time and money you spend on these bikes you could be actually getting fast....

DM, I've ridden them on some steeper trails around SoCal. They just fade real quick and real bad and the "bite" is inconsistent. Run times haven't been over a few minutes...

I'm not a fan of where the levers and fasteners are on them too. Just really really prone to breaking off in a crash. I don't like where the lever is at, but that is just personal preference. All this was on a fresh bleed btw.

On the same note, I've felt older crap Hayes that were set up really well with a complete and thorough rebuild (100% teardown and rebuild), but out of the box the new ones still suck.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting. I used to hate Hayes, for the lack of adjsutability. Thats why I went to Sevens about 4 years ago, I really liked them, Alot, The strokers were the first set of brakes I have felt where I didnt want to change anything right out of the box, I really like the lever myself, like you said though, thats personal preferance. So far I have had a pretty consistant feel, and havent had any fade yet. Were Bombing down Angeouls oaks tommorrow night, pretty good descent so I will see how they do there.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Iv'e got to say some 7's too, iv'e been running them for about 5 months and have had no problems with it but it you can get The Ones i say go for never ridden them but they sound great.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I ride the Formula The ones for a while now and they are awesome,never head a brake that is so powerfull,modulation is fantastic and it's looks sick.Formula for ever

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Five reasons i love my Gustavs. They have the most stopping power of any brake, They have a five year warrenty against leaking, They never over heat. The design is proven hell the caliper design has not changed in 10 years. I have bleed mine twice in five years and I am picky about how my brakes feel. Once set up right you are set.

Two things I dislike the caliper adapters are not cheap and the oem pads are expensive.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Most of the brakes are good these days. I will put in a good word for Hope as people tend to like to bash them on this forum. My modern M4 are as good as my Saints and contrary to popular myth modern Hope brake are perfectly up to alpine riding. But saying that I would still recommend going for the Saint as there easily good enough and are a very good price.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Saints hands down win. If you have the cash get Goodridge hoses for them, will make them even better.
-Cheap
-Light
-Good power
-Easy to bleed
-Parts are cheap
-Parts are very easy to come by
-You can make them even more powerful, with Swiss stop pads and Goodridge hoses..
-Dont pump up, no matter what people say!!!

lol if you have even more cash, then Formula are the best, but like people say, you pay to be top dog..

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Five reasons i love my Gustavs. They have the most stopping power of any brake, They have a five year warrenty against leaking, They never over heat. The design is proven hell the caliper design has not changed in 10 years. I have bleed mine twice in five years and I am picky about how my brakes feel. Once set up right you are set.

Two things I dislike the caliper adapters are not cheap and the oem pads are expensive.
They heavy too? yes? or no?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Formula One if you have $$$ if you have less cash go oro k24. I fitted mine with goodridge hoses, ebc red brake pads and motul 5.1 fluid. They feel great and my previous breaks were gustavs so I should be complaining on the lack of power ;) Also great weight.

Magura Luise is also a good option. Not to popular but works extremely well.

Also I hear a lot of good things about Strokers.

Avids and Saints seem outdated now.

Go formula ;)

And about gustavs they are great - to fade them you have to weight a ton and use your brake 100% time falling from a cliff. Also incredible power. Some don't like the feel but that can be corrected with goodridge hoses - Use them with any brakes.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Except for hope, pretty much all brakes rule nowadays.:D

I use shimanos on all my bikes. I'm over dot fluid.
ePound

:pirate2:

Pick a brand and set em up right. Im currently Avid equipped -- wouldnt turn my nose up at Shimano, Formula, Magura, Hayes (new stuff)

I like my Codes - the originals, a bit heavy, but so am I! Seems like the DH brake god is the Formula 'The One' right now.

Strong disagree - Avids are still pretty dominant, Code is a remarkable brake. Shimano brakes work great, and Saint is also a top performer.

People always overstate the case for and against - back to what Woo said: Everyone makes great brakes now (Excepy Hope -- lolz - ok maybe the V1 can get a pound.)