Quantcast

new brodie

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Hey.... never got the final on your bug bite at Whistler..what was the final outcome or ???....Dude...only you!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
if only they could just setup the chain guide correctly there....

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm waiting for the day that paul brodie comes out of exile, stops messing with vintage m/c roadracers, and starts building bike frames again. i'm envisioning something sexy, retro-tech, & fillet-brazed. Paul built some nice bikes back in the day.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
xy9ine said:
i'm waiting for the day that paul brodie comes out of exile, stops messing with vintage m/c roadracers, and starts building bike frames again. i'm envisioning something sexy, retro-tech, & fillet-brazed. Paul built some nice bikes back in the day.
Wasn't there a frame from 1998 or 99 that had the Rohloff hub in the swingarm pivot? That was neat. I saw a pic in the older bike pic thread.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
xy9ine said:
yeah. i believe he had a nexus hub in there. i used to race with a guy who had one; it was pretty crazy at the time.
Nexus eh??

Man, Shimano better get an f-ing clue and make a MTB version of that hub. Something somewhat light, trigger-type shifter, 8 speed.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
ahh - here it is:

the current nexus seems to have durability issues in offroad applications; but if anyone is in position to introduce gearhubs/boxes to the masses, you'd think it'd be shimano. now if rohloff would come out with a lighter / cheaper 8ish speed hub, i think they could do some decent numbers in the fr/dh market. their current hub is pretty well sorted - its just a pig.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The Rohloff has too many gears for downhill riding. Having only 8 speeds gives a better range between each shift instead of 14.

They could keep the aluminum casing, just reduce the amount of guts inside...that's what weighs a lot.