Quantcast

New Build - Gearing Dilemma....

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I've almost collected all the parts I need for my first build, and I've run into an issue with my gear selection. I've done a search on the subject, but I wasn't able to find the opinions I was looking for. My question is - in your opinion, what would be a good compromise between simplicity and usefullness on the trail when it comes to gear selection?

Realistically, this bike will be used for urban riding a large portion of the time - however, it will definitely see some trail time. I originally intended to run it SS, but then realized that I'm not interested in having my heart explode during a climb...

The current plan is to run a single ring up front, with a 9 cog cassette at the hub. I figure I'll have make it easier on myself while trail riding, while saving some weight and avoiding unneccesary (?) complexity.

What are your thoughts? If you run a simliar setup, how what size rings/cogs do you run?

Thanks!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
34 tooth with a 11-43 cassette should give you a good range. You'll want a chain guide though, to prevent the chain from dropping. E13 SRS is a nice choice for that.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
34 tooth with a 11-43 cassette should give you a good range. You'll want a chain guide though, to prevent the chain from dropping. E13 SRS is a nice choice for that.
Good suggestion, but ironically, isn't that more weight than just going as typical?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Thanks for the response, I'll definitely look into that. I've spent virtually all my riding time on BMX bikes, so when it comes to derailleurs and gearing i'm pretty clueless... :huh:

When running a single ring setup, is it always a good idea to run a chain guide, regardless of ring/cog size?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
When running a single ring setup, is it always a good idea to run a chain guide, regardless of ring/cog size?
Yes. Its not like a single speed setup you need something to tension and retain the chain, because the chainline and tension is changing depending on what gear you are in.

And Yes L'Opie, a triple ring with a front der may be a lighter setup.

EDIT: I meant an 11-34 cassette. There isn't an 11-43 cassette!