Quantcast

new build: suspension forks

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
you folks seem knowledgeable so i thought i'd try to gather some info. i'm building a street/dirt bike -- not for anything too heavy-duty -- and would like to keep it reasonably under 30 lbs. my last bike of this variety was 39# stock so that's why it is my former bike hehe.

regarding (squishy) forks, i've found three that meet my target goal of 'not-much-more-than-five-pounds'. the Marzocchi 4x, Manitou Gold Label, and Rock Shox Argyle 409. they range from claimed scary-light 4.0 lbs, to 5.25 lbs with the Manitou right in the middle.

i've run a Dirt Jumper before and it did it's job, no fuss, no muss. i have no experience with the other brands other than the internet. if anyone has any real-world experience/feedback with the above forks for street riding and light dirt jumping, please chime in. thanks.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
How much are you looking to spend, this contributes a lot to the decision.

I got a brand new 07 Marz off ebay for cheaaaaap which let me lace up nice wheels.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I've got a 409 and really like it. After it broke in I might argue its the best fork I've ever had. Super smooth, its strong, and not to heavy. Check out for my thread on how to lower it, worked out super good and not a bad price to boot!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've ridden the daylights out of my Marz 4x. However, you have to keep an eye on the air/compression, or it will run out on you.

That being said, I love mine. Its simple, takes drops and me landing like a douche, and the white is bueno.

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
price is not too much of issue unless it ends up the forks are comparable performance-wise. in other words, i'll fork out more for a better fork if i have to.

DirtMcGirk: can you elaborate on the air/compression comment? just keep an eye on the pressure to prevent issues?

thanks for the replies.