Quantcast

New Build...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm working on building up a new bike and was wondering what you all thought. Its supposed to be a do it all freeride, DJ, swiss army battle bike.

Soul Cycles Titan frame (flat black, Mmmmm)
Manitou stance flow (or if I have the extra $ sherman flick)
Husselfelt 22-32-bash
Husselfelt bars and stem
Truvativ DH BB
FSA DH-Pro head set.
SRAM x.7 shifters /derailleurs
Sun/Ringle Singletrack wheelset
Hayes HFX9 brakes <- other options around the same $?
WTB Weirwolf tires
Azonic Mag pedals
SDG freestyle saddle

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dave

Dec 21, 2004
Burlington, CT
Jd.... sounds like a sick ride... the only thing ive heard bad about the hfx 9's is that the cartriage will pop out of the lever if it hits something when you fall... maybe try some avid mechanicals or something. Other than that, should be a kick ass ride

(haha so cool :nuts: )

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I based my choice of brakes on the following thread:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105643

I guess I'll flip the coin and hope I get a good set. I'm thinking I might do the up grade to the flick to get the weight down a bit. I plugged everything into an excell spreadsheet and came up with 32 pounds +/- some amount of error based on manufacturer's listed weights. Sounds pretty good to me.

I'll probably order it up right after new years. :cool: Then I'll be back with lots of "where does this screw go?" types of questions.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
yeah my friend had that problem with the lever. it would pop out and you could put it back but it was really loose and came out easier the next time. and then one time he went to put it back in and the caliper got stuck in the lock position and the lever wouldnt go back. my other friend got the juicy 5's and those are sweet but im not too sure about the price.

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
you might think of the avid bb7 mechanical brakes i have a set of those that work almost as well as my hfx-9 but without the problems.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'll go with the Avids BB7's. I understand mechanical things. Fluid flow I'm not so sure about...

Here's what I've decided on:

Soul Cycles Titan Frame
sherman flick
Hussefelt 22-32-BG
Gigapipe DH BB
Hussefelt stem
Husselfelt bars
Sun Singletrack/abbah hubs
Azonic Mag pedals
FSA DH HS
Avid BB7's w/ speed dial 7 levers.
SRAM X7 Rear
SRAM X7 Front
SRAm x7 shifter
SRAM PC-950 cass
SDG Freestyle saddle
WTB Weirwolf tires
Cane Creek LO grips

I'll order it up next week. I can't wait - its driving me nuts! Ahhhhh!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I would suggest other tires than the Weirwolf. I have one that I don't trust very much. I've heard they're good for sand though...

-r

jdschall said:
I'll go with the Avids BB7's. I understand mechanical things. Fluid flow I'm not so sure about...

Here's what I've decided on:

Soul Cycles Titan Frame
sherman flick
Hussefelt 22-32-BG
Gigapipe DH BB
Hussefelt stem
Husselfelt bars
Sun Singletrack/abbah hubs
Azonic Mag pedals
FSA DH HS
Avid BB7's w/ speed dial 7 levers.
SRAM X7 Rear
SRAM X7 Front
SRAm x7 shifter
SRAM PC-950 cass
SDG Freestyle saddle
WTB Weirwolf tires
Cane Creek LO grips

I'll order it up next week. I can't wait - its driving me nuts! Ahhhhh!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Sweet build man! They new BB7 Avids are sweet. Avid mechs. have always been a good brake. Go with the Maxxis Holyroller. Thats a sick tire. It looks a little more street and little dirt though but it has a really smooth ride and nice tread on it. Good luck with the build.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yeah, I'll probably pick up a set of krads or holyrollers as a spare set. I ride a little of everything so I want a tire that will match. 5 more days...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
rpk: In regards to your question in the chase thread...

after consulting with Soul Cycles I decided on the 18" Titan. They also have a 15.5. If you just want to do street/DJ the 15.5 should be fine. There's a picture of one floating around RM. Do a search. The reason I'm going with the 18" is that I want an all-around bike, DJ,XC,urban,etc. I just thought it would be more comfortable. I asked about the standover with regards to DJing and sacking myself on the top tube and they said I should have no problems. I'm also 6-3. Honestly the geometry of the 15.5" frame looks more geared towards all-around riding too. Its looser than the chase or stp (another bike I looked at). I'll send you a note when I get it built up. I'll let you have a look at it. check out http://www.ridesoul.com/frames/titan.html
and http://www.ridesoul.com/auction/titan.jpg.

They say they are working on a steel DJ/Street frame for this year. That should be awesome.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Thanks for the input man. I am either thinking about getting the Chase 1 or a P.3. Any input is respected.

Send me a PM when the build is done, and of course with pics. Or just start a new post and send me the link.