Quantcast

New camera

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
We were recently robbed and out of the many things taken our rebel (from 1995) was taken. So now we have $1,000 for a new camera. I myself have a Fuji S5100 which I am very happy with...but it doesn't have a hotshoe, it's 4 megapixels, and I can also spend $150 on a new wideangle. So my parents are getting my S5100, and I get to use the $1,150 on a new camera and wideangle. I pretty much only use it for taking pictures of riding, Downhill, dirt jumping, street park etc. Would a new Rebel XT be the best to get? Or something else? Also could someone point me in the right direction for a nice wideangle fisheye? Thanks A LOT!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
do you want wideangle or fish eye?

In any case, decent Wide anlgle or fisheye lenses for an EF mount will run you about $400-600. (Sigma 15mm Fish, Canon 17-40mm Wide).

If you manage to get the kit EF-s lens, it is an 18-55 and isn't AS bad as people tend to make it out to be. That said, it isn't fantastic by any means.

Best bet for your budget will be an XT with kit lens.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The Rebel XT has one key advantage you should look at, it's compact. otherwise I would look for a used 20d if you don't mind a used camera. You will like the frame-rate I beleive it focuses faster and it is more profesionaly featured. As for wide angle, look fo a Tamron or Sigma, anything in their pro level line-up or the next step down will be pretty affordable and sharp. Nothing beats Canon "L" series glass but they should fill your needs very well.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maxyedor said:
I forgot one thing, the 20d is less suceptable to dust and moisture than the XT
I find that highly unlikely. The only difference are software and size of body.

There is absolutely NO weather sealing at all in a 10d or 20d.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Pentax makes some nice DSLR's. I also really like the Canno RebelXT. I got to play around with one at school today. It is very nice and pretty inexpensive as far as DSLR's go.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D70. Actually, you could swing the Nikon D50 which would be an excellent camera and have more money left over for lenses. That might be the route I'd take.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Transcend said:
I find that highly unlikely. The only difference are software and size of body.

There is absolutely NO weather sealing at all in a 10d or 20d.
It's not the sealing that does it, the 1D is the only camera Canon seals. The people I know that shoot XT's have found the autofucuse sensor realy fidgety when it gets a tiny bit of dust on it.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
in all honesty, i've used a the rebel, the d70 and the d50 and the nikons really feel much more sturdy and solid. yea, i know the rebel's got two more megapixels on the nikons. unless you want the 1/3 step adjustment options of the d70, i'd say go with the d50 (a bit smaller and lighter) but pick up the nikon's 15-77 lens. it comes with the d70 and lists as a package around 1200, but you could drop a few hundred with the d50 (probably to around 1000). the lens itself is really amazing...overall a lot nicer than the canon's

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maxyedor said:
It's not the sealing that does it, the 1D is the only camera Canon seals. The people I know that shoot XT's have found the autofucuse sensor realy fidgety when it gets a tiny bit of dust on it.
The people you know with XTs really have no clue. It has the same AF sensor as the 20d. Just the same as the 300 has the same sensor as the 10d.

As for the seals on the 1d, I am quite aware. I own one.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D70. Actually, you could swing the Nikon D50 which would be an excellent camera and have more money left over for lenses. That might be the route I'd take.
Is that the camera you used to take those pictures of our browsers with?

Yo know my Opera is lonely without it's fox.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I just bought the Nikon D50 and so far I LOVE IT:love: but I already have a Nikon F4 35mm that the lenses are interchangeble on. The D50 was in budget for me, and the camera shop said the few added features of the D70s weren't enough to warrant the extra$$$.

I would have loved to have the ability to purchase a Rebel xt. 8mp and 3fps vs 2.5 with the D50.

you cant go wrong with the XT or the D50-70. depending on where you buy your gear, if they offer an added warantee program that might be a good thing to look at. $100 for the D50, and I can have it cleaned as many times in the next 4 years for free!

the 18-55 with most kits is pretty nice for wide angle, but its not a dedicated wide angle or a fisheye.:cool:

good luck, it can be a hard descision to make. here is a site that helped me out a lot.
www.kenrockwell.com
he reviews the cams back to back.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Don't know whether (sp?) to take that as an insult or compliment, but I was going to try the video thing. Kind of more my style....

Dan

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not really sure myself. ;)

i was curious to see if you felt a camera body upgrade was needed, but looks like you are changing direction.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
narlus said:
not really sure myself. ;)

i was curious to see if you felt a camera body upgrade was needed, but looks like you are changing direction.
I can post some of my better pics for the monkies to judge....

Dan :love:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
By the way, don't bother with Ken Rockwell. He's a complete windbag who somehow thinks he's important enough to review products that he's never touched or seen.

He's got exactly one piece of useful information on his site: your equipment is a lot less important than your eye at getting good pictures.

Everything else is trash. When someone starts a review with the words, "I've never used one of these, but..." or constantly claims that the aperture of a lens isn't important since you can just increase the ISO...

I just can't put any kind of reliability on his ability to review equipment he's actually used, with the amount of stupid crap on his site which is actually harmful to new users.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
BV, sorry but
The Nikon D70 is the second best digital camera I've ever owned. I love my D70 to death. In December 2005 I got my D200,
sounds more like the guy owns the thing, and if you look at his photos, credentials, and how much he gets paid to do workshops I think you will find he is more than just a "Windbag" as you suggest.
His critiques are his opinion based on his experience, if you differ in oppinion, you cant just say
He's a complete windbag who somehow thinks he's important enough to review products that he's never touched or seen.
I find it hard to believe that you have even looked at his site because his only reference that I found in the 6 reviews I read of his that remotely resembled your statement about him not using equipment etc. was this on his review of the F4 (a camera which I own)
Everyone thinks I hate this camera simply because I never listed it. Actually I'm a photographer, not a reviewer, so some cameras I simply have not used in depth. Since you all insist, here are my thoughts:
I disagree with anyone that makes a statement about the disregarding of a lens' aperature, but I have not seen on the reviews I have looked at by him any such reference! I have not dug through all of his reviews on lenses etc. but still I do not come to the conclusions that you do about the value of the site.

don't make YOUR OPINIONS sound any more valid than someone with more credentials than you, you just sound like your spewing sour grapes!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
mtbpaint1,
that XT kit looks like a great kit for the money! everything you were asking for right there!!! the one thing I would purchase in addition is a higher speed memory card, the speed of the card will be important if you are taking highspeed shots in succession. IE your action shots of biking!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
brungeman said:
BV, sorry but sounds more like the guy owns the thing, and if you look at his photos, credentials, and how much he gets paid to do workshops I think you will find he is more than just a "Windbag" as you suggest.
His critiques are his opinion based on his experience, if you differ in oppinion, you cant just say
I find it hard to believe that you have even looked at his site because his only reference that I found in the 6 reviews I read of his that remotely resembled your statement about him not using equipment etc. was this on his review of the F4 (a camera which I own)
I disagree with anyone that makes a statement about the disregarding of a lens' aperature, but I have not seen on the reviews I have looked at by him any such reference! I have not dug through all of his reviews on lenses etc. but still I do not come to the conclusions that you do about the value of the site.

don't make YOUR OPINIONS sound any more valid than someone with more credentials than you, you just sound like your spewing sour grapes!
I work as a photopgrapher.

It's a well known fact that rockwell is a douchebag. Hand hime 2 identical products (a and b). If one ha sa nikon logo, it is instantly better.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
brungeman said:
BV, sorry but sounds more like the guy owns the thing, and if you look at his photos, credentials, and how much he gets paid to do workshops I think you will find he is more than just a "Windbag" as you suggest.
Credentials don't mean he writes valid reviews. You didn't read my post that well - I said, given the amount of crap on his website, I can't take his actual reviews very seriously.
You don't read very many of his lens reviews, then. Yes, I have read almost his entire site.
So... You freely admit you've only looked at a portion of his site, yet I'm the one who hasn't "even looked at his site"? :rolleyes:
Sour grapes, nothing. Hiding behind credentials is bullsh*t. If the guy had a simple site about his photography up, I wouldn't even be posting. But he passes off very poor information as factual.

My uncle is a very talented photographer. But he doesn't know s**t about equipment. Credentials don't necessarily make someone the best choice to review equipment.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Here, let me pull some gems from his site:

On the 17-55mm f/2.8 said:
Buy one if you need to look tough and have a lens you can use for self defense. Personally I prefer the lighter 18 - 55 mm lens, which gives about the same results optically for digital, even the D2X.
On aperture said:
a stop means nothing today, since you can just increase the ISO of the D70 with little to no penalty in image quality if you run out of light.
Don't even consider second and third rate brands like Sigma or Tamron simply because you can get genuine Nikon for about the same price.
It offers fantastic performance at about the same price as some people pay for used or garbage like Sigma
80-200mm f/2.8D ED said:
I have only shot with it a couple of times.
I have not used the 50mm or 65mm lenses. I would suspect that they are just about perfect, too.
70-180mm f/4.5-5.6 said:
This lens is a sleeper. I have not used it
Sharpness ought to be more than adequate for any digital camera. In fact with the number of elements I suspect this will be really, really good... I have no reason to doubt that it will be flawless.
His site is full of "I have not used this" and "I suspect" tidbits that simply steer many budding photographers the wrong way.

And your claim of sour grapes is just plain pathetic. I don't begrudge him his photography. There are plenty of people who are more successful than I who I have nothing but respect for. Rockwell is simply a douche. I wish him the best in his photography but there is too much garbage in his website to take him seriously.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Make sure you hold the rebel xt i found it small for my hand and didn't like the feel. I ended up getting a nikon d70s because im a nikon man but if you can find a used 20d go for it.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Transcend,
I respect your work, and like the publication, Douchebag, Ken may be, but why would the pair of photographers shooting the wedding I was in 2 weeks ago (both shooting Canon 1D's) tell me to look on his site for comparisons, and the other photographer that was at the wedding (cousin of the bride who shoots with Nikons) also suggest to look there?
I've been using Nikon for decades and just got a D70 a few months before the announcement of the 20D. I love the 20D, and after using it they are similar cameras, and each is a little better depending on what you want to do. Neither is better on an absolute basis. No one pays me anything for my opinions or sponsors me, I have to go buy stuff the same way you do.
although there may be difference in opinion you can not say he always pics one over another! and as for his choice in lenses the 2 camera shops I usually use say the same as he about the quality of "glass" in lenses... and although the Tamron lenses are fine for what I do he is right in saying the same lens by Nikon or Canon has a better lens set in it and if you are looking to buy the best... !!!

PS... what do you use to get the great shots you do?