Quantcast

New Cane Creek product

This seems like a pretty dialed set up. From what I understand, only the top cup changes for the different angle options - the lower cup has an orbital-style interface that self-adjusts based on the top cup. So, bottom cup stays the same and you just swap out an insert in the top cup for different angles. The other nice thing (again, from my understanding) is that you can use a normal headset press, which is apparently not the case with some of the other angled cups.
can anyone confirm how this headset actually works, I.e. How is different to what k9 offer. It sounds great but I can't see how they offer so many angle options in one headset. I find it hArd to believe it's only the top cup That changes as achieving the 2 deg would be hard with a centralised bottom cup. Also with the tapered HT it can't be only the top cup that changes.

Anyway enough of the Amature speculation, how does the bloody thing work?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
can anyone confirm how this headset actually works, I.e. How is different to what k9 offer. It sounds great but I can't see how they offer so many angle options in one headset. I find it hArd to believe it's only the top cup That changes as achieving the 2 deg would be hard with a centralised bottom cup. Also with the tapered HT it can't be only the top cup that changes.

Anyway enough of the Amature speculation, how does the bloody thing work?
Someone else can confirm, my source is pretty reliable but it is second-hand info. (If I'm wrong I will accept a thousand e-smacks on the wrist.) By "orbital" interface I meant that components in the lower part of the headset have mated convex and concave surfaces (kinda sorta like avid disc brake mounting) that can cover a range of angles as dictated by the top cup. And if you think about it, the range of movement needed to get the angle change is not that huge at the bottom, so while it won't work with a full 1.5 steer tube, it should be fine for tapered.

Someone else can confirm, my source is pretty reliable but it is second-hand info. (If I'm wrong I will accept a thousand e-smacks on the wrist.) By "orbital" interface I meant that components in the lower part of the headset have mated convex and concave surfaces (kinda sorta like avid disc brake mounting) that can cover a range of angles as dictated by the top cup. And if you think about it, the range of movement needed to get the angle change is not that huge at the bottom, so while it won't work with a full 1.5 steer tube, it should be fine for tapered.
Thanks for the clarification. It sounds reasonable and I suppose the tapered headtube version could work with the top cup being the fixed one and having numerous bottom cups.

You'd think they would picture the entire kit in the press release. It would clarify quite a bit

Sounds bloody expensive if there are multiple cups.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I'm glad I read that clarification. I have been wondering for the last few days how they could make it adjustable, but TBH they havent. They have just made a few different versions. Thats like saying my frame is adjustable because you can get it in small medium or large :D

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
what about warranty info...will the added stress mess with the warranty on my frame? also, i read all the threads...i still dont get it, what about the trek session 88? and the giant? should be cool...175 is steep though... HA pun

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
that's because the new Glory's don't use traditional 1.5" lower cups. it's a semi-integrated setup (~ 56mm)
That's the 3rd option:
AngleSet ZS44 – ZS56/30 (Fits tapered head-tubes – 44mm [1-1/8” Zero Stack standard] ID top, 56mm [1.5” Zero Stack standard] ID bottom with an 1-1/8” straight steerer)

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
That's the 3rd option:
AngleSet ZS44 – ZS56/30 (Fits tapered head-tubes – 44mm [1-1/8” Zero Stack standard] ID top, 56mm [1.5” Zero Stack standard] ID bottom with an 1-1/8” straight steerer)
thanks for pointing that out. At first glance I had not seen that option.

Go Cane Creek!! :thumb: