Quantcast

new Canfield?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Does anyone else think that "traditional" top tubes belong only on road and XC racing bike? I'm so used to seeing the smarter/functional low-slung & braced style that that bike just doesn't look right. Nut cruncher.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
That bike with top tube/seat tube design of the F1 would be interesting. They'll do custom work, right? :)

toby

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Bulldog said:
Does anyone else think that "traditional" top tubes belong only on road and XC racing bike? I'm so used to seeing the smarter/functional low-slung & braced style that that bike just doesn't look right. Nut cruncher.
especially odd considering the stance of their previous models. Otherwise looks really clean :thumb:

Alejandro24

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
Could you give any kind of info?? or it´s just a picture?? this trail bike making company with an F1 in my garage.... hmmmmm......

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
That is pretty sweet except the top tube is rather odd looking(too strait) as someone else mentioned, I need more info!

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
It is a pretty sweet bike. 6" travel trail monster. Really nice geometry - it is going to fly down the hill. The frame is 4130 CroMo. The tires are Maxxis Swamp Things. I only got to sit on it at the show but it is on my short list for sure.

JTC

Chimp
Oct 10, 2003
I was lucky enough to ride a prototype of this frame. Here's what I know; 5" or 6" of travel, parallel linkage, rearward path, but not nearly as much as the F1 so that the upper pulley is not needed. Frame is going to retail for$1799 USD. DH geometry, chromoly front triangle, aluminum rear, adjustible drop outs, fits an 8" rotor.

The one I rode was set in the 5" mode, had a White Brothers fork and a Mavic 3.1 wheelset, but a MRP Bones Combo crank (4lbs). It was a small frame and the whole package weighed in around 34lbs.

Intent isn't really for trailbike use, more resort riding and the such. I found that the more I played on it, the more I started thinking I'd ride this more than my big bike!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
DHS said:
don't worry its only a 3 year wait for a custom one....
How long is the wait for an F1 or a Fatty Fat? I want to get one of the two next year. Anyone know if this is possible?

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
I was also told a few months ago it's a 3 year wait for custom, doubt they've churned out too many since :evil:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
WestCoastHucker said:
the F1 is a production bike, so your wait shouldn't be long. although, they won't make their production run until winter....
Hmmm... sounds like I may want to call them and put a deposit down now. What's it like dealing with them? Are they pretty on top of things or are they lagging slackers? Do you know... is the Fatty Fat a production model or would that be a custom order?

I really like the look of the bike. I need to find someone in SoCal willing to let me test ride it. Thanks a ton for the info, I am buying a new DH bike next year and the Canfield looks like it might be it.

JTC

Chimp
Oct 10, 2003
The new chromoly Formula 1 is supposed to be out the first of the year. The Fatty Fat is part of their custom line. You'll have to contact them to find out if you can get one. From what I understand, they aren't really doing them anymore as other models have better features. I'd get your order in for the Formula 1 though. From what I understand they have had really good response from Interbike, and are adjusting their production run as we speak (or post!) based on pre-season orders.

As for working with the Canfields, they're really down to earth and won't feed you a bunch of crap. They've let me ride several of their proto's. I've always had the impression that they'd rather be upfront and tell you how it is rather than kiss up just to get an order. I've known them for several years though, so maybe I'm biased...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
JTC said:
As for working with the Canfields, they're really down to earth and won't feed you a bunch of crap. They've let me ride several of their proto's. I've always had the impression that they'd rather be upfront and tell you how it is rather than kiss up just to get an order. I've known them for several years though, so maybe I'm biased...
I had the same experience. GREAT guys. :thumb: "iridebikes" on this forum is Lance - they seemed to reply to my emails quite promptly.

Took me a while to get my frame, but it was more of a Canuckistani border tard that was the holdup. :mumble:

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
ehh doesnt look like it could be pedaled around to easily, I would deffinately go for my F1 over it for DH.

Chris and Lance are awesome they dont talk sh@t they're really easy to talk to it's like they dont tell you why you should buy their frames they tell you the cool and not so cool stuff about them. Plus they always pick up the phone the number on their site is actually Chris's cell, I called when they were on a ride once it's cool to know your actually buying from people that really ride

Ciaran said:
Hmmm... sounds like I may want to call them and put a deposit down now. What's it like dealing with them? Are they pretty on top of things or are they lagging slackers? Do you know... is the Fatty Fat a production model or would that be a custom order?

I really like the look of the bike. I need to find someone in SoCal willing to let me test ride it. Thanks a ton for the info, I am buying a new DH bike next year and the Canfield looks like it might be it.
chris and lance are great for CS, i had a broken bearing on a new F1 and they sent me a full set of the bearings they use fo their signature bikes at no cost. once, i broke a derailleur hangar and had a new one in 2 days, definately not a couple of slackers. as someone else mentioned, i've called on a saturday and chris answered the phone and they were out of state in the middle of a ride. he just pulled over to talk to me....
you are sort of local to me, i'd be more than happy to let you pilot my bike off whatever your heart desires. my setup may not be the right setup for you, but you would surely get the idea. but be warned, you won't ever want to ride your current bike ever again, once i let you have a taste of the Canfield goodness.......

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
anybody have any new info on this thread regarding the balance? i missed this thread when it started, but caught info about this bike on nsmb.com today.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
I Tried To Get A Custom Canfield Bros. 3 Year Wait, So I Wound Up With A Brooklyn. Oh Darn!

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Production is sheduled to be out at the begining of the year. The F1 and the Balance will be available then. For a custom you would wait a long time but truthfully with the production bikes you get everything you would get with a custom, just a far better price.

The Balance is a 4130 front with a 7005 rear and links, 20mm pivots built like a DH bike, full length seat tube, front derailliur compatable, adjustable chain stay from 16.125 to 16.75.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
only took four months to get my fatty fat #14. could'nt be happier w/ that bike. you can really tell it's a custom cause after riding it for two years, everyone elses bike feels like dogcrap. bottomess travel, IT WILL NEVER BREAK!, i love her and will keep her forever! talked to chris for hours on the phone over the past couple of years. always has time to answer questions or b.s. about how crappy everybody elses bike feels once you truely know "rearward wheel path." i paid alot but their c.s is the best. met em at schweizer and they handed me two complete bearing sets for free. any questions about my bike or experiences, pm me , i'd be glad to help. i would send pics but they won't upload

singletrack

Chimp
Mar 9, 2004
Grand Junction, CO
flymybike said:
The Balance is a 4130 front with a 7005 rear and links, 20mm pivots built like a DH bike, full length seat tube, front derailliur compatable, adjustable chain stay from 16.125 to 16.75.
What size is that pictured there? What's the projected frame weight?

You can tell MTBR is broken 'cause I'm posting here.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
singletrack said:
What size is that pictured there? What's the projected frame weight?

You can tell MTBR is broken 'cause I'm posting here.
It is a small top tube but the seat tube is a medium size. We will have a sizing chart up at www.canfieldbrothers.com in a week or so. The frame weight is 10.25 lbs with shock.

As for the Fatty Fat frames we aren't building them any more but I have a line on two used ones if anyone is interested. PM me about it.

Fattyfat1 - I'm so happy to hear you're still ripping it up on your Red Fatty! What's it been? Three years?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Ok, the end of Feb is here, and these things are supposedly out and about. Who has one? I want a report.

BTW, what is the rear hub sizing on this beast 135/10mm standard, or something bigger?

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Talked to Chris last week the F1's and balances had just got to Utah and Lance was going to start getting the ALM Luckies started.
So if you want one call them.