Quantcast

New canon 550D, T2i

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Looks like a cheaper way to get to the 5D MII/7D video capabilities. Definitely not on par in the stills department.

Looks interesting to me at least.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos550d/

Review is multi-page. Click the next buttons at the bottom for the whole thing.

I've been counting pennies for a 7D and the video capability is the main reason.....I'm not going to lie.

I'm expecting you serious camera geeks to tell me why I shouldn't buy this :p

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
...'cause it's a Canon ;)
You lose. Canon's slr video output punches nikon in the pussy right now. I agree something like the D90 does likewise in the stills department to this thing and the 7D, but let's keep our priorities straight here.

DSLRs are for 35mm lens VIDEO.

In all seriousness though, other than the meager 3.7 fps burst, I really don't see any glaring shortcomings of this thing over the 7D.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You lose. Canon's slr video output punches nikon in the pussy right now. I agree something like the D90 does likewise in the stills department to this thing and the 7D, but let's keep our priorities straight here.

DSLRs are for 35mm lens VIDEO.

In all seriousness though, other than the meager 3.7 fps burst, I really don't see any glaring shortcomings of this thing over the 7D.
Build quality, sealing, ease of use, AF speed.

If those don't matter, go for it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You saying over the 7D because you know something or over the D90 because you're a nikon brand whore?
I'm saying that because it's generally the difference between Canon xD/xxD and xxxD bodies.

Nikon brand whore I am not, and would never suggest a D90 for serious video work.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm saying that because it's generally the difference between Canon xD/xxD and xxxD bodies.
Gotcha.

But it could mean the difference between getting something next month vs. god knows when, for the exact same end result........

Tough call if there really is that much of a difference. Whatever I get will be stuffed into a backpack and skied/biked with regularly so that kind of thing could matter.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Gotcha.

But it could mean the difference between getting something next month vs. god knows when, for the exact same end result........

Tough call if there really is that much of a difference. Whatever I get will be stuffed into a backpack and skied/biked with regularly so that kind of thing could matter.
Traditionally Canon has stuffed their technology (video, MP, etc) into their XXXD bodies while leaving the build quality and size at the cheaper level. So you're probably never going to get a pentaprism, better build quality, metal body, etc on the XXXD, but they will keep stuffing megapixels, video, and any of the other technology from the higher end cameras.

I'm a little bummed that they kept the 9pt focusing, but otherwise it looks like a pretty damn fine little camera.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
woo, for your purposes, I see no reason why this camera shouldn't do everything you want it to do.

Build quality is going to be a little bit down from the 7D series, so if you're regularly using your camera in the rain without a rain cover or something, it may behoove you to hold out for the higher build quality. You can use a rain cover in the nasty weather, though, and it may mean you're up and using something sooner.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not a whole lot of rain but snow is a definite. I imagine some more samples (including video) from this thing should start to surface over the next few weeks. If it's on par with the 7D, it's going to be tough to justify literally twice the price for just a better built body.

I am used to protecting my 5k video camera in those conditions though.......

One thing in the back of my mind is that I do want a capable still camera that I can do good timelapses with. I used to shoot a lot of film and the worst camera I've ever owned was an early generation EOS rebel. But that was a long time ago and most of the DSLR tech really is over my head these days. If the 7D is a significantly superior still shooter, that's of value to me.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Traditionally Canon has stuffed their technology (video, MP, etc) into their XXXD bodies while leaving the build quality and size at the cheaper level. So you're probably never going to get a pentaprism, better build quality, metal body, etc on the XXXD, but they will keep stuffing megapixels, video, and any of the other technology from the higher end cameras.
yup, its easier to put to the internals form one camera into another than it is to redesign the whole chassis