Quantcast

new canon coming

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well the canon community is excited about the news conference that's booked for later tonight (tmrw morning, Asia-time).

5D mkIII seems to be the model to be announced with plenty of rumors swirling about. specs from canonrumors:

22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
DiG!C 5+ Image Processor
ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)

High Performance Operation
61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles

High end features
Silent & low vibration modes
Dual card slots (CF & SD)
High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
Multiple Exposures
Comparative Playback function
Improved durability & water and dust resistance

SPECIFICATIONS
Available Colours – Black
Megapixels – 22MP
Sensor Size – 36 x 24mm
ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600
Autofocus Points – 61 points
Lens Mount – Canon
LCD Size – 3.2″
Liveview – Yes
Viewfinder – Optical TTL
Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec
Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec
Continuous Shooting Speed – 6 fps
Self Timer – 10 sec, 2 sec
Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial
Video Resolution – Full HD 1080
Memory Type – Compact Flash
Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)
Battery – LP-E6
Battery Type – Lithium-ion
Charger – Includes Li-Ion Charger
File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4
Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm
Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery+

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
it doesnt seem that long ago that the MkII came out

Let's start where the image-making magic happens: the sensor. The 5D Mark III's 22.3-megapixel, full-frame sensor is brand new. Discerning readers will notice that the slight bump up from the Mark II's 21.1 megapixels means more pixels in the same size sensor. Which means that the pixels are now slightly smaller. You might think that this could hurt image quality in poor lighting conditions, but Canon claims that just the opposite is true, that the pixels actually get more light now because of the way the new sensor is designed. Its gapless micro lens design supposedly lets more light in—we haven't tested this yet, but its the same tech as used in the 1 DX, and that thing is a low-light monster. The electronics of the sensor are also more efficient than before, which helps reduce noise.

The result is that the Mark III can now shoot full-resolution shots at a whopping ISO 26,500—two stops past the Mark II's ISO 6400 limit. What does that mean for you, the photographer? That the 5D Mark III will shoot comfortably when the the 5D Mark II has been pushed to its low-light limit. Then, if you hit the ceiling with the Mark III, the images won't be as noisy or distorted as before.
http://gizmodo.com/5889707/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-video-chompin-darkness-slaying-digital-single-reflex-camera-pr0n-bring-it

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Radio flash triggering built into the new Canon speedlight. How the FVCK did they beat Nikon to this?

Epic fail for the SBxxx series.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
canceled my 1Dx pre-order for the 5D3. meets most of the feature set from the 1Dx at half the price. i don't need 12 fps...granted the sensor is different, and 1Dx claims a one stop higher native ISO, but IQ can't be worth the difference to me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i can toss a grip on there...both of my other bodies are gripped. and if i want to, i can take it off to save some room/weight.

stevew, yes i'll keep the 5D2 and sell the 5D.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
or rather, staying the same at 1/200th.

plus, the native ISO of the D700 is 200 as compared to the 5Ds of 100. i'll take a full stop over a third of a stop any day :D

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
or rather, staying the same at 1/200th.

plus, the native ISO of the D700 is 200 as compared to the 5Ds of 100. i'll take a full stop over a third of a stop any day :D
We couldn't get a 5d2 to do better than 1/160th consistently. Was a problem for a guy who makes his mortgage payments primarily because of his work on the beach. :D