Quantcast

New Car help

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well I decided to sell my loved truck for something a bit smaller with more power. My dad came across this. I can get it and still make a little bit of money when I sell my truck. It runs around $22,000 for 4x4 Automatic.

Linky

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
ThePriceSeliger said:
Well I decided to sell my loved truck for something a bit smaller with more power. My dad came across this. I can get it and still make a little bit of money when I sell my truck. It runs around $22,000 for 4x4 Automatic.

Linky
:banghead:

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
i saw that truck at the auto show although it looks cool but there is no room inside the truck for gear. tacomas are far more usefull imo

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the gas mileage isnt gonna be any better if it holds true to landcruiser fashion. also you may want to wait a couple of years to let them work any bugs out of the vehicle. you should look at the Tacoma or at the nissan frontiers or x-terra or something and hold off on the LC.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
do you really need all that off roadiness? Good fuel mileage and trail worthiness really don't work well with each other.
I just got an xB it gets 33 miles a gallon and is fun to drive, and true I can't even think of taking it off a paved road, but thats what mountain Bikes are for.

Good luck on whatever you choose and please get a vehicle with as many airbags as possible........

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
ThePriceSeliger said:

Linky

Hey man just to tell you that car is a really bad land cruser, unless that is a hybrid that i don't know of. the gas millage is horrible my friends dad bought one and sold it in three months because of how bad the gas milage is. Due yourslef a favor and look into a used WRX or something. or even a nice jeep.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
SXtrailrider said:
Hey man just to tell you that car is a really bad land cruser, unless that is a hybrid that i don't know of. the gas millage is horrible my friends dad bought one and sold it in three months because of how bad the gas milage is. Due yourslef a favor and look into a used WRX or something. or even a nice jeep.
It is a Hybrid. And I can drive a manuel, but really don't like it as much.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ThePriceSeliger said:

Linky
Why don't you start drinking martinis and ride a 29er if you want to kiss up to N8?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
IMO it looks metro. But that's just me. What are you really looking for? More utility? Better gas milage?

For utility and storage you can't beat a pickup and for mileage a small car is *generally* better. Maybe look at a wagon as a compromise. Same storage as an SUV and smaller/faster/better milage.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Buying a new car at 18 was the worst decision I ever made. Thank goodness for my dad pointing that out and helping me bail out of it before I was too far upside-down on the payments.

There are so many better things you could spend money on. If you can't buy the car in cash, then you're going to have expensive payments. In that case, buy used, knock those payments down and only have to make them for a short time. If you are buying the car in cash, then buy used - take the money you save, put it in the bank, and think about buying a house some day that won't depreciate and destroy itself like a car will.

Not trying to sound like a curmudgeon here, but seriously, the need for brand new vehicles at such a young age is irrational. I understand it, of course, and gave into it myself, but it's just not a good decision.

Just MHO, of course.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
ThePriceSeliger said:
I'm not from Avon first of all, and how I make my money is my business. Yes, I normally work 2 jobs over the summer, among other things.

Yea, your parents didn't help you at ALL. :rolleyes:

I don't know of ONE kid that could buy one of those trucks with their own money unless they were dealing crack or something.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
binary visions said:
Buying a new car at 18 was the worst decision I ever made. Thank goodness for my dad pointing that out and helping me bail out of it before I was too far upside-down on the payments.

There are so many better things you could spend money on. If you can't buy the car in cash, then you're going to have expensive payments. In that case, buy used, knock those payments down and only have to make them for a short time. If you are buying the car in cash, then buy used - take the money you save, put it in the bank, and think about buying a house some day that won't depreciate and destroy itself like a car will.

Not trying to sound like a curmudgeon here, but seriously, the need for brand new vehicles at such a young age is irrational. I understand it, of course, and gave into it myself, but it's just not a good decision.

Just MHO, of course.

Well once I sell my truck I will have plenty of cash.

The only thing my parents(dad) is paying for is insurance because he does that through his job.

I have the money, don't worry about it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
He's just trying to say you should save your cash for later when you need a house, ect. I think it's a good idea. I'd rather have a nice apartment when I'm 22 than a bling car in HS. That's just my opinion though. I say get a used beater truck and drive the hell out of it. Something like a mid-late ninties Toyota that gets decent mileage.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
**** the FJ, dude. you need a Z71 Tahoe with a system, body lift, some 34" BFGs, and some chromie wheels.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
ThePriceSeliger said:
Like there isn't much trunk room? My bike rack will be roof or a hitch rack. I didn't see details on the website, but would it be roomy while driving?

Food for thought, A roof rack on something like this, means your lifting your bike Over your head, and seting it into a rack. Not so bad when the roof rack is shoulder height like on a passenger car, tall truck though...Kinda ****ty, also adds the possibilty os Pedals raping the paint as you lift and it slips!!!

Hitch racks Fix all that, but add a whole new world of trouble, In the Fender bender world. Not so much anything your doing as a driver, but what others are doing. Remember A small rear end collision can destroy your bike, without ruining your Car.

Just a few things to think about, i agree with those who suggested a Pickup with a bed, The ridgeline is a great choice, gotta love the Inbed trunk, that or a tacoma is a nice choice also!!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Okay, try putting your bike on my buddies jeep, we have to take a step stool and one of us generally climbs the door to get up high enough, the vehicle pictured is every bit as tall as a jeep, But was just food for thought is all

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
This is true. But this new/used car is just an idea. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I'm going to go dealership surfing tomorrow and look around.
I've put bikes on cars such as 4-runners, but not a jeep, don't know anyone that has a hardtop jeep.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Price, don't spend millions of $$ on a car, especially at your age. Just buy a nice used one and use the cash for a nice pad or the down payment on a house. Do you have a pension yet?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Changleen said:
Price, don't spend millions of $$ on a car, especially at your age. Just buy a nice used one and use the cash for a nice pad or the down payment on a house. Do you have a pension yet?
wow. how witty.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like the FJ, but I wouldn't spend the cash on one. I have built better Toyota 4x4 trucks for less than you would spend on the down payment. Unless you have nothing left to spend cash on, a new truck should be last on your list. But I would rather build it than buy it, but that's my style.

But it's your dough, right?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bicyclist said:
He's just trying to say you should save your cash for later when you need a house, ect. I think it's a good idea.
Exactly.

Just because you have the money, doesn't make a brand new car a wise investment.

I'm not trying to lecture, just providing you with some insight from someone who went ahead and bought the brand new car at 18, and has regretted it since. I poured several thousand dollars into the car before I finally got rid of it, and have nothing to show for it now. That several thousand dollars could be a down payment on a house in a few years, or could buy me most of another used car when my current vehicle goes. Or, hell, it could buy me a kickass vacation somewhere that I've always wanted to visit. Just think, you could buy a cherry 02 or 03 Toyota Tacoma for half the price of the FJ, and put another ten grand in the bank to spend as you see fit.

Do whatcha want, just providing food for thought :thumb:

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
The FJ is on it's first model year. If you like visiting the dealership service dept. a lot, buy it. Even Toyota doesn't get it right the first time. If you dig a little, you can find that the new Tacoma had leaky windshields and roof seals among other problems. Buying the first year of anything isn't a good idea if you're into reliability.
You'll also pay a premium since the hype is at it's peak and the dealers will be charging more.
If you've got tons of cash that we just can't comprehend, then perhaps this doesn't mean anything to you so go for it but since you're concerned about making money on your truck, my guess is you're not quite independently wealthy. You're paying cash for the FJ correct?
Here's a little lesson in making wiser decisions with money at your age than buying a depreciating asset.
If I had purchased Microsoft stock the same month I bought my first car for $650.00, and just forgot about it and never added anything to it, that $650 would be worth ~$4 million today. Would have been $10 million about 8 years ago.

Check your reasearch. I'm pretty sure the FJ isn't being released as a hybrid right out of the chute. Also, we've covered this in the N8 FJ thread but unless the majority of your driving is in the city, you really won't be seeing any gain in fuel efficiency. Do a little math on any hybrid and you'll realize how cheap gas really is.
For the premium you pay on a hybrid compared to the actual amount of gas you save ends up taking 6-12 years (depending on your real world driving cycles) to recover that cost in saved fuel expenses.

It's probably a capable rig but like I said, unless you're wiping your ass with money, there are many better choices you can make with your money right now and still have a decent rig.
Getting rid of the Dodge sounds like a good idea but if you don't want a manual transmission, why even bother with any type of enthusiast vehicle?
Just buy the Buick Lucerne and get it over with.