Quantcast

New car time.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I just picked this up tonight. '99 Land Cruiser. 136k miles. 2.5" OME lift, factory rear locker, borla exhaust, the Yakima racks with two bike trays and a ski attachment, a sort of strange bumper made by a previous owner and every option that was available that year.

It was a salvage, so I got it for a little over half what one would normally cost. It has a clean title now, and passed inspections with two mechanics without a problem. It drives completely straight and smooth.

It's not in perfect condition. But it will do for an around town and mountain car. I'll feel better about beating on it than I would if it was in better shape.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Gas guzzler. But hey if you have the money... Also, the front bumper/brush guard thingy looks much better than the stock front bumper I think.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
It's not great on gas, but it could be worse. The seller said he was getting around 18mpg on the highway which is better than I was expecting, and better than a lot of older trucks I was looking at. It's also not far off from the Tacos everyone around here loves. I work from home and and usually ride my bike, so I don't drive much. Even when I was driving my in-law's 10mpg F150, I was only putting in about fifty bucks a month. I'll probably drive this more than their truck, but I expect I will still spend less on gas than what a lot of people do on more fuel efficient cars, so I don't feel bad about it.

It will serve our purposes well. Good offroad capability, tows a fair amount and has lots of cargo space. We've missed having something that will get us down the rougher roads to trail heads.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
my toyota truck sucked. too bad, cause even though I am a domestic supporter for the most part, I have always kinda liked the toyota trucks.

I used to wheel with a guy who had a newer (this was 2001ish) landcruiser like that on some super swamper boggers, 31-33'ish in size, it did pretty well, good all around car for beating around the ski hills, mountain bike trails, camping, etc.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
What does it have a dirty title from? I don't know what you paid for it, but I don't think I would ever buy a salvage title unless it was really dirt cheap. Resale on that will be nil. Not a big deal if you plan on driving it into the ground. I love my 04 Tundra and will most likely keep it running as long as possible. It will definitely get some aftermarket love instead of being traded in for something new.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
What does it have a dirty title from? I don't know what you paid for it, but I don't think I would ever buy a salvage title unless it was really dirt cheap. Resale on that will be nil. Not a big deal if you plan on driving it into the ground. I love my 04 Tundra and will most likely keep it running as long as possible. It will definitely get some aftermarket love instead of being traded in for something new.
It was run into a ditch. All damage was repaired and it's been driven about 40k miles since the accident. If it was something like flood damage I wouldn't have even considered it.

It wasn't dirt cheap, but I think half the price of a comparable clean-titled one is pretty decent. Even if after four years I had to pay someone a thousand dollars to haul it away I would be losing less money overall than I did with the Saab that I sold last year after owning it for four years (not purchased new). If I get five years of use and sell it for anything at all I'll be pleased.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Even if after four years I had to pay someone a thousand dollars to haul it away I would be losing less money overall than I did with the Saab that I sold last year after owning it for four years (not purchased new).
You could let DirtMcGirk live in that thing for a year and still get better resale than a Saab.

Nice truck, BTW.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
You could let DirtMcGirk live in that thing for a year and still get better resale than a Saab.

Nice truck, BTW.
Seriously. I thought it couldn't depreciate much from where I bought it, but then it went and lost 70% of its value. At ten years old it was worth less than a tenth of what it went for new.