Quantcast

New Cheaper iPods

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Man right when I get my iPod Mini, they decide to drop the price $50 and at more battery life to it. Damn it. They are also coming out with a 30 GB and dropping the price on the 60 GB that stores photo. Also they plan on creating a cable so you can transfer photos directly to you iPod from your camera. Sweet. Anybody else heard about this?

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
You can bet that the price drop of the 60G Photo model means there's another model coming out soon. But what will the added feature be? Bigger HD? Doubtful. Bluetooth? Maybe. Video? Probable...it's the next move apparently. We'll see.

I had a 20G, it crashed so my Fiancee bought me a 40G for Xmas. The 20 came back to life so I offered it to her (she declined) and then I sold it. I love my 3G 40G, but it's full and I love the idea of being able to connect it to my cameras so I think I'll wait a few months, see what they're offering and keep my fingers crossed that the cable will work with Sony cameras.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
McGRP01 said:
Yep. Trying to decide between a 30gb and the 60.
well, for music, I have the 30Gb, the old type. it's totally full and has about 5,900 songs on it. Aren't the 60's supposed to hold something like 15,000 songs? I mean, really, who has 2 months worth of music?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
rpk1988 said:
I dont know man. I just wish I would have held off on getting mine. My battery doesnt even last that long.
there will always be something better, so really no reason to wait.

60gigs....holy ****. i'm tempted to ask why the need, but know i'll get hounded. even 30gigs seem excessive to me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manziman said:
well, for music, I have the 30Gb, the old type. it's totally full and has about 5,900 songs on it. Aren't the 60's supposed to hold something like 15,000 songs? I mean, really, who has 2 months worth of music?
i've got 240GB of music on my home system right now, and am considering an additional hard drive.

it all depends on what fidelity you decide to encode to as well. for the fussy audiophile who prefers lossless, a huge hard drive like 60GB or more means you could potentially fit all yr collection in FLAC on the player.

i've got a full 20GB player and have somewhere around 3500 songs on it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i assume you use headphones that accommodate that level of sound?

and is it possible to actually get higher than cd-quality sound if you rip from a cd? i always wondered about that.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
the Inbred said:
60gigs....holy ****. i'm tempted to ask why the need, but know i'll get hounded. even 30gigs seem excessive to me.
Yea man, 60 GB would be way to much for me. But I guess the pictures them self help take up alot of that. How much battery life does that thing have with its color screen.

I would go with the 30 GB. I think Apple should make more color choices too for the minis and even the regular ones. That would be cool.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the Inbred said:
i assume you use headphones that accommodate that level of sound?
you can use ear buds which are very high quality:

http://www.etymotic.com

i've got a set of the Shure E2s which are nice and a lot cheaper (still kinda pricy though, about $90 or so).

you can also use your mp3 player as a source; my Karma has a docking station w/ RCA outputs which can go directly to your pre-amp or receiver. alternatively, you can use the headphone output and go 1/8" to dual RCA. i used this setup exclusively when i was in ireland, into a set of small powered speakers, as i didn't bother to bring my home stereo over w/ me.

the Inbred said:
and is it possible to actually get higher than cd-quality sound if you rip from a cd? i always wondered about that.
FLAC = CD. there is no loss of information, but you get about a 50% compression. with other compression schemes like mp3, musepack (MPC), ogg vorbis, etc, you *will* lose information but you can minimize that by using a higher bit rate during encoding. this in turn leads to a larger file, and also increases the battery usage by increasing the amount of work that the processor has to do.

www.hydrogenaudio.com has a lot of good info if you are looking for me.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Is it just me or do the earbuds hurt your ears. Dont get me wrong, they put out quality sounds but when you take em out after a good listen. Ouch! But it is totally worth it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it definitely took a bit to get used to. they still hurt a little bit, but not bad. my set came w/ 3 different plastic covers, so use the one which fits best.

one thing which i've found to be a minor annoyance is that if i sweat a lot (which can be quite a lot, esp if i am spinning), sometimes the sweat gets down to my ear canal and breaks the seal. getting the ear bud to re-seat is very difficult after that, even after trying to completely remove the sweat. this doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be a nuisance.

and no, i won't wear one of those fruity headbands.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
On the headphone note:
Look up the sony MDR-EX51LP. They seem pretty on par with the Etymotic Research ER6, but over $100 less.
On iPods. I hate my iPod right now. It has this new thing where it just turns off in the middle of a song. Another thing it likes to do it stop in the middle of a song and then either freeze or just search through the album unable to play anything. It's really damn annoying. The battery is shot too. I got 40 minutes out of it the other day.
40 minutes!!!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
N8 said:
Is an iPod worth the $'s???
I would say it is. It is reallllyyyy user friendly. I have used other MP3's and it is so hard to find where you are going. Wait until the price goes down, then invest in one.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I have a 15GB and can fill it since i have like 15 gigs of music and thats with me removing songs from my library now and then. I plan on just keeping all music now and i plan to get a 60gb photo eventually. Apple is always upgrading em my 15gb has been running good for a long time and the battery life is enough for me (about 8-10 hrs) i just charge it when im not using it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
i've got 240GB of music on my home system right now, and am considering an additional hard drive....
You and I need to get together with some blank hard drives.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
manziman said:

I have 53 GB of music, very few are repeats...if any. Gathering music from friends, old collections and internet radio adds up quick