Quantcast

New Classifieds

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
The new classifieds are live:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/

Why: The old software sucks and is full of bugs.

What's new: The new software wasn't designed specifically for classifieds and its more basic than what we were using. It is robust, well supported software that should be relatively bug-free. Future versions of this software are said to have more classified-specific features - but I think it works pretty well the way it is.

The new classifieds will be banner free for premium members.

You: Please help by doing some test ads. Report bugs and suggestions in this thread.

Thanks!

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
nah, more like its own category. Possibly just put with the frames and bikes section. It would be easier to list 29er parts/frames/wheels all clumped together rather than being spread out. I bet it would get a lot of use...

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
I take it we lose our "Seller Feedback", and start all over?
Yup sorry. And there isn't going to be seller feedback in the new system for quite some time. We had to sacrifice that to go to software that fixed a bunch of other problems.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
29er section would be fantastic if we can have it.
You do have it :) If you select "29er" from the product type dropdown, then people can search for 29er specific products. Also coming in the future, the ability to browse by product type like 29er.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Some schmuck didn't set up the classifieds permissions correctly :rolleyes:. God, I hate incompetence.

SYSTEM NOTICE: THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Well smart guy, I'm about to install another instance of this software and maybe I'll leave the setup to you :busted:

Z2adambomb

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Raleigh/Durham, NC
when I go through the ads all I see are pics and price, location etc. I don't see a title or any link that'll get me to the text of the ad for more info. the link to the image works though. I'm using firefox 2.0.0.11

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Not a big deal, but if I click on a picture in a category before going into the ad itself, I get a log in window, not a larger verison of the picture. If I'm already logged in, the picture enlarges just fine.

FWIW, I liked the old index better, especially for complete bikes vs. frame only sales.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Is there an archive of the old ads so I can copy and paste an ad I had in the old system? It was pretty long and I am lazy.

It was also written one night when I was visited by a muse that was a literary inspiration allowing me to write the most poetic description about a beat up Big Hit for sale.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
when I go through the ads all I see are pics and price, location etc. I don't see a title or any link that'll get me to the text of the ad for more info. the link to the image works though. I'm using firefox 2.0.0.11
So, your listing doesn't look like this?

Not a big deal, but if I click on a picture in a category before going into the ad itself, I get a log in window, not a larger verison of the picture. If I'm already logged in, the picture enlarges just fine.
Fixed.

complete bikes vs. frame only sales.
Will discuss w/ DirtyDog and implement something.

Z2adambomb

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Raleigh/Durham, NC
that's interesting... the page loads just fine using the same version of firefox on my work computer, just didn't see it as shown above on my home computer. guess I'll have to do all my postings at work! :busted:

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Is there an archive of the old ads so I can copy and paste an ad I had in the old system? It was pretty long and I am lazy.
It had been my intention to make the old classifieds available to browse, but the whole thing just fell apart when I moved it to a new directory. Sorry for the trouble.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what happens if I have a free crackpipe to give away? My mind is blown...

Seriously though, I'd really like to see a mandatory size section, like location or whatever. Too many retards leave out the size of their bike, requiring an extra email and blah blah blah. I'd love to be able to see S M L or whatever. I'd also like to see it applied elsewhere..., like forks (travel), hubs (12x135) etc. It's so hard to search for a 12x135 hub, since everybody types it differently (135x12, 12mm by 135mm, 12 on 135), so I manually have to search. A locked dropdown menu would be awesome, but I know that's difficult to do.

It would be neat to search by frame or complete bike, but I really REALLY like seeing them in the same heading. I have a lot of parts and could either buy a new bike or frame and build it up...saves me from extra clicking.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Seriously though, I'd really like to see a mandatory size section, like location or whatever. Too many retards leave out the size of their bike, requiring an extra email and blah blah blah. I'd love to be able to see S M L or whatever. I'd also like to see it applied elsewhere..., like forks (travel), hubs (12x135) etc. It's so hard to search for a 12x135 hub, since everybody types it differently (135x12, 12mm by 135mm, 12 on 135), so I manually have to search. A locked dropdown menu would be awesome, but I know that's difficult to do.
There are probably too many categories and sizes of items to lock it into a drop down menu but a size column is a good idea and can be used generically (e.g. a frame would be small or a fork could be 135mm) - however, it's not going to help your search problem much.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I understand...I don't think there's any good way around it besides having somebody sit there and program it...but if somebody is willing to sit and program it...cool.

As long as there's a size category of some sort, I think it will be very beneficial.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There is now a size field and a way to search by frame only/complete bikes. Please note, though, that it only applies to new ads being listed - the old ads will still lack both fields.

Keep the suggestions coming (if they're reasonable, that is; "I liked the old software better" comments will be met with a jab to the gonads).

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Is there button to click on to see ads from the last day, last 7 days, ect? Something like the old site had.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Alright....I'm probably tarded and blind, and feel free to tell me so after you fix my issue, but should I be getting "reply notices" from comments to my ads? I've clicked on and selected every "subscribe to this ad" links I can find... yet I just checked on my ads and found a few replies from a week or so ago...

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Alright....I'm probably tarded and blind, and feel free to tell me so after you fix my issue, but should I be getting "reply notices" from comments to my ads? I've clicked on and selected every "subscribe to this ad" links I can find... yet I just checked on my ads and found a few replies from a week or so ago...
I'll look into that this week.