Quantcast

New Commuter

fartmungerer

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a commuter bike for college. I'm going up to Chicago, so I don't want anything too expensive ( around $200 preferably but not exceeding $500 ). A hardtail would be nice, but a fully rigid fitness bike could work too as long as it can handle curbs and some poor road/weather conditions. My inseam is around 17 inches I weigh about 135, and I currently live in Chattanooga, TN.
Thanks for any help, Tyler.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I'd look at where you'll be locking the thing up and how you'll be locking it up. If you buy something flashy, it'll get took (you're going to have to learn how to speak like Common if you're moving to Chi). So find a low key, maybe used rig and run that. The nicer it looks, the faster it gets taken. Single speed (or fixed) will keep things low maintenance when it gets knocked around in racks and in route. Don't want to be late for class because you ripped your der off.

For new bikes, maybe Specialized globe san fran 1, kona HUMU looks tough too, Trek Soho and district. I like all kinds of new bikes, but I'm a sucker for rehabing cool old bikes.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
It's pretty popular, solid frame, ok components, it'll get the job done. They're reasonably fast and have a comfortable riding position.

fartmungerer

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
After searching on the Atlanta craigslist, I found and purchased an old Motobecane Outcast 26. Here are the specs:

- Frame: 6061 Aluminum
- Chain: Single Speed
- Rims: Weinmann XP2002A
- Tires: Michelin Transworld City Tires 26”x 1.75”
- Crankset: TruVativ
- Pedals: Wellgo
- Saddle: WTB SpeedV
- Brakes: Tektro Aluminum V-Brake
- Brake Levers: Tektro Aluminum for V-Brake

I paid $275 for it, so hopefully I got a good deal. Thanks for all your help everyone ( zebrahum and MTRider ).