Quantcast

New company policy: No smoking

Jan 29, 2005
If you can actually ban people from smoking, can you stop fat people from eating? They certainly both pose serious health risks.

edit: oops someone beat me too it

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dropsdon'tlikem said:
If you can actually ban people from smoking, can you stop fat people from eating? They certainly both pose serious health risks.

edit: oops someone beat me too it
I think the problem is that being fat doesn't directly affect other people.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bluebug32 said:
It's a double-edged sword. Drug companies are great for developing life-saving medicine (and even better if you can develp something used directly by your family), but cornering doctors at gas stations and bribing them to prescribe their drugs, jacking up prices and trying to convince people through commercials that everyone needs their product is just a wee bit shady IMO.
cornering them at gas stations? sounds like a new jersey sorta thing.

jacking up prices is an interesting topic, one which i don't know all the ins-and-outs too, and i'd be surprised if you have greater insight. i will say this...have you ever worked in a regulated industry? do you know the overhead costs associated w/ one? take a guess as to the relative price per sq ft to run a biotech facility.

should we get rid of those regulations to make cheaper drugs? reduce testing so that it's not so expensive to run extensive clinical trials? or maybe not even do controlled testing, like some <cough> offshoots of medicine?

advertising is another heavily regulated aspect of the field; marketing claims, the literature in the package inserts, etc...it's not like there's free reign to sell snake oil.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
It's not like you walk thru a haze of FAT exiting a building.
what about when I am trying to get to a meeting quickly and a slow moving fatty is blocking the hallway so I can't get around. That directly affects me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I Are Baboon said:
what about when I am trying to get to a meeting quickly and a slow moving fatty is blocking the hallway so I can't get around. That directly affects me.
That kind of logic is like complaining about the slow moving biker who is delaying my drive.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
narlus said:
cornering them at gas stations? sounds like a new jersey sorta thing.

jacking up prices is an interesting topic, one which i don't know all the ins-and-outs too, and i'd be surprised if you have greater insight. i will say this...have you ever worked in a regulated industry? do you know the overhead costs associated w/ one? take a guess as to the relative price per sq ft to run a biotech facility.

should we get rid of those regulations to make cheaper drugs? reduce testing so that it's not so expensive to run extensive clinical trials? or maybe not even do controlled testing, like some <cough> offshoots of medicine?

advertising is another heavily regulated aspect of the field; marketing claims, the literature in the package inserts, etc...it's not like there's free reign to sell snake oil.
No wonder you're so angered by alternative medicine.

And controlled trial testing....vioxx, bextra? No trials are long enough. They need to be about 3 times as long.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:
No wonder you're so angered by alternative medicine.

And controlled trial testing....vioxx, bextra? No trials are long enough. They need to be about 3 times as long.
What does ANY of your post have to do with his post?

bluebug stated that perscription drugs were too costly. narlus replied that the costs associated with developing the drugs were probably higher than she understood - it's true, working in a regulated industry is pretty costly. I've worked there and both my parents are upper management in the drug/medical device industry.

So... what's your point?

You're right - there are some trials that clearly haven't been long enough. To extend them would require a big increase in the drug price; running clinical trials is extremely expensive. But what's that got to do with the post you quoted and responded to?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Anyway, in response to this original topic, I'm a little suprised that it's okay for them to regulate a legal activity so heavily.

I don't like smoke either, and find it ridiculous that smokers think that their addiction is an excuse to take 5 or 6 breaks per day, but as long as they're taking breaks at scheduled times and are confined to smoking areas... Guess I don't see what the big deal is.

Are the employees going to see a big cut in what they're paying for healthcare? Or is the company just trying to profit off it?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Are the employees going to see a big cut in what they're paying for healthcare? Or is the company just trying to profit off it?
I don't see how our company can profit from this. All of the employee assistance programs are free. From what I gather, this is purely an image thing.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
binary visions said:
What does ANY of your post have to do with his post?

bluebug stated that perscription drugs were too costly. narlus replied that the costs associated with developing the drugs were probably higher than she understood - it's true, working in a regulated industry is pretty costly. I've worked there and both my parents are upper management in the drug/medical device industry.
I'll stand corrected on the amount of overhead involved in putting a drug out, but my main beef against big pharma. is that drug companies use ruthless marketing techniques to convince and even bribe drs. to prescribe them and common people to feel like they need every new drug out there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
I don't see how our company can profit from this. All of the employee assistance programs are free. From what I gather, this is purely an image thing.
Talk to someone in H.R.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a decent healthcare discount for companies who actively attempt to ensure that their employees are non-smokers.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Talk to someone in H.R.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a decent healthcare discount for companies who actively attempt to ensure that their employees are non-smokers.
Ahh, I see what you're saying.

I know for a fact that our "powers that be" are trying like hell to lower employee premiums, so you might be right!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bluebug32 said:
my main beef against big pharma. is that drug companies use ruthless marketing techniques <snip> and common people to feel like they need every new drug out there.
I snipped out the bribing part since I've got no clue about that, but I agree that medicine is very over-prescribed. Hell, it seems like they'll give you narcotics for just about anything now - Jenn got part of her toenail removed and got about a month's worth of Darvocet to go along with it. She didn't even take an asprin after the "surgery" - it was totally painless.

Every kid who glances out the window on a warm spring day during class is diagnosed with ADD and is put on Ritalin.

However, everything is marketed to the broadest audience possible. Companies make money, that's why they're in business and that's how they continue product development. Sometimes people end up with things they don't need - how many people do you think buy Nikes? Many of them are poorly made shoes with no redeeming qualities, yet they are sold by the boatload. Should Nike be scolded because these people wasted their money, or should these people be held accountable for their bad purchasing decisions?

I can't see placing the majority of the blame on the marketing team. I see a lot of the responsibility as belonging to the people who are refusing to accept responsibility for normal, day-to-day problems that people have had to deal with for hundreds of years. Kids aren't always attentive. Sometimes, your back hurts. Every once in a while, you're just sad for no good reason. But now, you get Ritalin, Vicodin and Paxil for it.

Not that there aren't people with real problems who are taking these medications for good reason, but people just accept that if they're having an off day, they can be medicated for it instead of actually picking themselves up and coping.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
binary visions said:
Sometimes people end up with things they don't need - how many people do you think buy Nikes? Many of them are poorly made shoes with no redeeming qualities, yet they are sold by the boatload. Should Nike be scolded because these people wasted their money, or should these people be held accountable for their bad purchasing decisions?
But there's an inherent difference between a pair of shoes and a pill that changes your body chemistry, can fatally interract with other drugs and can have potentially harmful side effects.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bluebug32 said:
But there's an inherent difference between a pair of shoes and a pill that changes your body chemistry, can fatally interract with other drugs and can have potentially harmful side effects.
Agreed.

But in both cases, it started with an ill-informed choice, and someone unwilling to make the decision to live without something that they want.

I'm not really approaching this from the perspective about doctors killing people, though. I can't really even guess as to how often that happens. I'm talking more about the people who, say, insist that there is clearly a medical problem with their child who won't give 100% of his attention 100% of the time (imagine that? A kid who is easily distracted!), and feed the kid drugs because it makes them feel better.

Again, these are all good medications and as the son of someone who is severely manic-depressive, I understand that there are people who literally cannot live a normal life without medication. That's not everyone, though.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
The battery factory I worked at banned smoking on company property all together when I worked there. One of the reasons cited is that smokers had a higher blood lead level (it was a lead acid battery factory) than the non smokers. They also mandated that men couldn't have beards or goatees as it would also trap the lead particles in the hair and was easily ingested.

I think we're about to impliment something similar, we've just had several memo's about where the smoking areas are and if anyone is caught smoking anywhere else the company reserves the right to ban smoking on the property all together.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Andyman_1970 said:
The battery factory I worked at banned smoking on company property all together when I worked there. One of the reasons cited is that smokers had a higher blood lead level (it was a lead acid battery factory) than the non smokers. They also mandated that men couldn't have beards or goatees as it would also trap the lead particles in the hair and was easily ingested.

I think we're about to impliment something similar, we've just had several memo's about where the smoking areas are and if anyone is caught smoking anywhere else the company reserves the right to ban smoking on the property all together.
You worked at a battery factory? Why is that so funny to me?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I Are Baboon said:
Part of the issue our company has is that employees stand around right in front of the CANCER CENTER smoking cigarettes. This is not the image the company wants to have. They figure this is a hospital and we should be setting an example.
Do they get an employee discount on chemo?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
narlus said:

They might want to change the business model slightly. As it is now, most (most of the ones I've met...should have made that clear) phama reps are one small step away from being full on hookers. I've met a few of them, and it seems that qualifications are not closely looked at (unless you consider tit size and a bubbly personality qualifications to sell complicated chemical compounds...)

What really amuses me is that doctors seem to fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Yeah Dr. Creepy, that little blonde thing visits you every week because she enjoys your jokes...

splat

Nam I am
robdamanii said:

that is unfortunatly the Double edged sword that the Pharm companies have to deal with ( I used to work for one, Chiron ) And if you knew How long it it takes to develop a drug go though all the ittirations , and testing , and go back to square one , it is amazing that Medicine is not as expensive as it is. so it cost a boat load of $$$$$$$ to Just get a single drug to market . then they have to watch out for other companies doing the same/similar things , so you haveto try to make the $$$$ back that it cost you to develop it. and then there is only so long ( i forget how long ) till other companies are allowed to make generics. and lets not forget how many Drugs never make it to market , even after years of research and testing. it is all very expensive.

Then you get groups ( Some of the AID's Groups come to mind ) that claim that bitch and complain about how slow the process is. Bitch and complain to Political figures who then get on the FDA , who then Get on the Pharma to Speed things up .

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
DRB said:
You worked at a battery factory? Why is that so funny to me?
Yep for 8 years...........worked evening shifts while I was in college, then when I graduated I was offered an engineering position in the department that designed the equipment that made the batteries.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
splat said:
that is unfortunatly the Double edged sword that the Pharm companies have to deal with ( I used to work for one, Chiron ) And if you knew How long it it takes to develop a drug go though all the ittirations , and testing , and go back to square one , it is amazing that Medicine is not as expensive as it is. so it cost a boat load of $$$$$$$ to Just get a single drug to market . then they have to watch out for other companies doing the same/similar things , so you haveto try to make the $$$$ back that it cost you to develop it. and then there is only so long ( i forget how long ) till other companies are allowed to make generics. and lets not forget how many Drugs never make it to market , even after years of research and testing. it is all very expensive.

Then you get groups ( Some of the AID's Groups come to mind ) that claim that bitch and complain about how slow the process is. Bitch and complain to Political figures who then get on the FDA , who then Get on the Pharma to Speed things up .

Last I read anything about it, I think it was neighborhood of a couple billion to bring a drug to market, from inception to release, and I think it's a 5 year exclusive patent on it?

I'm no doubt saying that it's outrageously expensive to produce them, and I appreciate the time required (some take up to 10 years, yes?) to get them out there, but I think things like the vioxx disaster should make people look and say "holy crap, this could kill me, maybe we should do more and/or longer trials on these things".

Then again, society has a problem with looking for the "quick fix" all the time. Give me a pill to make it better. God forbid you eat right or exercise or take care of yousrself in the first place. :rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
robdamanii said:
Then again, society has a problem with looking for the "quick fix" all the time. Give me a pill to make it better. God forbid you eat right or exercise or take care of yousrself in the first place. :rolleyes:
True, we should all take responsibility. But our society also has a problem resisting marketing and the advice of self-dealing "care givers" who are supposed to be looking out for our interests but who (with exceptions) instead spend their days trying to simultaneously make money from insurance companies and cover their asses against litigation from the same insurance companies.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
my mother-in-law took Vioxx for arthritis before it was pulled off the market. i'd like to see another ~70 y/o woman who takes care of herself better.

:clue:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
robdamanii said:
You do realize some diseases are hereditary don't you? Modern medicine is a wonderful thing, like it or not. I can see it now..............

Rob & Beth are having a romantic dinner at the finest restaurant in town, The Red Lobster.

All of a sudden some guy screams out.......I'M HAVING A HEART ATTACT!!!!!!!! and drops to the floor. His wife frantically calls out for help.

Then out of a cloud of smoke Dr. Rob D. Moron arrives, tells her he's a Dr. and can revive him so quick he'll be eating is coconut deep fried shrimp, Jumbo prawns with his 12oz sirloin within 5 min.

While the poor guy just lays there Dr. Moron, manipulates his back and neck knowing this is all it takes, while carrying on to his wife how neurosurgeons & cardiologists are a bunch of quacks. You can hear his back and neck popping throughout the restaurant, as far back as where the janitors are shoveling the grease from the grease trap.

After 5 minutes have gone by, the poor guy just lays there, his dinner getting cold. All of a sudden the Paramedics race in, and were able to revive him within a matter of seconds. They cart him off to the ambulance and take him to the hospital.

Dr. Moron looks at the mans wife and said................................

They got lucky they were able to revive him, as they are not nearly as qualified as me.

Quickly after the wife leaves, Dr. Moron looks over his shoulder as the busboy is taking the mans plate away. In a flash Dr. Moron races over and snatches the plate of coconut deep fried shrimp, jumbo prawns with the 1/4 eaten 12oz steak. He brings it back to his table where Beth was just amazed on how he was almost able to save this mans life plus score the rest of his meal:thumb: