Quantcast

new computer time

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just picked up an Acer Aspire one from Costco for $299
http://www.acer.com/aspireone/

After my brand new $1500+ dell got stolen last year, I wasn't in the mood for a high-end machine. I gotta say, this thing is 90% of what the Dell was.
Fast enough to stream netflix via Wi-Fi on my couch and light enough to take anywhere (>2.5lb)
Battery life is pretty good too for having a real HDD.
I was half shopping for a GPS, but this was only $50 more. Through some GPS software on it and I'll get a way more useful toy.
Just thought I'd share.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Congrats. I've always wondered if those cheap computers were worth anything. Let us know how it's doing in 6 months or so.

I say if it does all you need it to do for $300, that rules!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Exactly what Bigmike said. I saw one of those at Staples the other day and then laughed. I then though about the people that need something small, cheap and light and don't need to do too much on a machine besides email, internet and watch some movies.
Very interesting little machine.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
You lost me at "watch some movies". Most of the $299 netbooks don't have DVD drives and their video controllers can't handle decoding movies in real time so they look like flip books.

I agree on the internet and email, but movies, not really.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
You lost me at "watch some movies". Most of the $299 netbooks don't have DVD drives and their video controllers can't handle decoding movies in real time so they look like flip books.

I was referring to the netflix streaming bit said above not actual DVD's.
A DVD is 2x bigger than the Acer machine.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

Yeah, this thing is tiny. Only about 2" bigger than my hand. Takes some learning to type fast, but I'm adapting. I'm impressed with the video so far. Netflix and Youtube play just as well as they do on my hotrod desktop with a fancy video card. With a 160GB HDD, I could rip movies if I wanted to travel with them, or use my portable HDD.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm using mine right now, but I paid $350 :(

Mine is the flash drive running Linux, I added a 1G stick and a 4G card and it's awesome. It fits in my tank bag and I can take it with me without knowing it's there.

Normal laptops seem HUGE now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

I mapped my drive (same share I used for my Media Lounge) and stream over the wireless to my Aspire One. My wife and I watch movies on the bed and it's perfect. I can run full screen (8" screen on the Aspire One) and stream all day. Battery lasts about 90 minutes streaming, so it works out nice.

I also compile Java, documents, spreadsheets, Ride Monkey, you name it.

Maybe the Windows XP version sucks for graphics, but mine works awesome running Linux. 8G flash drive, 1.5G RAM, and a 4G SD card is all I've needed.