Quantcast

New controls

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
after ordering these Easton EA50 bars from the UK, (props to www.merlincycles.co.uk) I picked up some Ritchey WCS bar ends from the LBS (wich I trimmed down a bit).

actually ended up saving 124g (if that will actually make a difference:confused: )

and if anyone's intereseted, a "220g cannondale" bar weighs 254g, which doesn't surprise me.

after though>> I will never, and I mean never, go back to non lock-on grips again.

luke3.14

Chimp
Aug 11, 2002
Ma
if you want to make your bike even better, the upgrade to full xtr, it might be alot of money but if you race then it is worth the money to upgrade to it.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
HMMM.........XTR....you send, I'll pay shipping !

slowly changing over to XT, XTR is too rich for my blood, just need shifters really everything else is XT, except hubs (hope) and brakes (avid).

anyone tried using xt levers with avids ? cos I like the one piece units.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by Evilmunch
I totally agree. I'll never use anything but ODI's again.
although, I must admit, I think I may need some new gloves with a slightly padded palm cos with bar ends, the outside lockjaw is a bit hard on the palms.

otherwise for maintinence, they're no.1

actually when I fitted the bars I though I'd try some regular grips that I had not used yet, ut after sliding them on with hair spray, half stuck and the other half slipped and I still needed to slide them up some more...ended up just cutting them off !

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by rockracing
anyone tried using xt levers with avids ? cos I like the one piece units.
I use LX with Avids. I dont know what the difference between LX & XT is, besides $$. But they work great for me.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
Despite what some people say, it really doesn't make a difference. Or not one that you will be able to notice...
you'll notice it in very very limited situations, but it's not rotational mass so of course you aren't going to really notice it

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by TN_Fred
I use LX with Avids. I dont know what the difference between LX & XT is, besides $$. But they work great for me.
bit OT, am going to get new shifters next week, do I go for LX or spend nearly double for XT.........is it worth it for XT, I've had LX before, which I was happy with, but not XT, I think I should really save the extra for other things ????????

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by indieboy
you'll notice it in very very limited situations, but it's not rotational mass so of course you aren't going to really notice it
do pedals and shoes count as rotating mass?

128 grams, whether in tires or at the bottom bracket, is still about 5 ounces. If you have a way to save that kind of weight without unduly sacrificing component life, performance or dollars, that's a nice "bike diet". Shave some more weight from tires, tubes, the bottom bracket, seat post skewer/clamp, seat, pedals or whatnot (same criteria as above, don't be a weenie) and you just might find your bike a pound lighter. Weight saved on the wheels has the most effect, but poundage is poundage and it all adds up.

Another way to look at it is, with a weight savings at the bars, you can afford to run more durable tubes... :monkey: