Quantcast

new cranks, yea!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
the Inbred said:
snapping BB spindles for one, rounding out the tapers from normal use. Not as stiff, tendency to loosen up over time. They have been surpassed by splined cranks in every way.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Zark said:
snapping BB spindles for one, rounding out the tapers from normal use. Not as stiff, tendency to loosen up over time. They have been surpassed by splined cranks in every way.
Isis -- snapped spindles, rounding out of the crank arms, coming loose, crappy bearings.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Wumpus said:
Isis -- snapped spindles, rounding out of the crank arms, coming loose, crappy bearings.
You must live in Bizarro world. The only problems I've encountered with ISIS were bearing life.

I've seen square tapers skewer people too many times to ever ride that stuff again.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Funny stuff! I just got rid of some 4 year old square taper North Shores. In 10 years of racing DH (225# expert) I only broke 3 spindles. 2 were Shimano UN70, one was a UN50. I only replaced them b/c I wasn't sure how much longer they would last and knew that they would go at the worst possible time. Threw on a set of Hone's.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I didn't think you could still find a square BB/crankset. The isis bottom bracket is pretty standard across the board these days. Even my BMX race bike came stock with an isis BB. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had a bike with a squared BB. Either way, if you want to run one, it's all good.