Quantcast

New cranks...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm on a hardtail 29er and I occasionally ride on the ride between different trail systems. With a 33t x 11t I max out at about 28mph which is plenty for how short I'm on the road. And the 33t x 34t is just low enough that I haven't found a hill I couldn't climb yet. Give us an update after you get some miles on the crankset. As long as your out there riding I could care less what your setup is. :thumb:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I'm on a hardtail 29er and I occasionally ride on the ride between different trail systems. With a 33t x 11t I max out at about 28mph which is plenty for how short I'm on the road. And the 33t x 34t is just low enough that I haven't found a hill I couldn't climb yet. Give us an update after you get some miles on the crankset. As long as your out there riding I could care less what your setup is. :thumb:
A 32 or 33 single would be absolutely perfect for me on the trails but I'd be spinnin pretty fast on the pavement. I think this will work pretty well. I probably won't ever use the lowest gears on my cassette when I'm in the 27.

One thing I may do to steepen the gears a bit is swap the cassette out. The 29er came with an 11-34 cassette. I'll probably swap in a standard 11-32, or maybe even an 11-28.

Edit... my bad... the 29er came with a massive 12-36 cassette. So moving to an 11-34 for this double setup will probably be the bees knees.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Here's the crank installed:

And here's the naughty 29er Epic:

Now that I look at that photo I realize I need to remove the lizard skin from the seat stay. When I first got the bike I had crazy chain slap... took a link out and solved that. Probably wont be slapping the stay anymore.

Anyway... first ride on these after work. I should be able to judge what kind of gears I need to fit in the back afterwards. I'm guessing I'll be geared a little high, but like I said above an 11-34 or 11-32 should fix that right up.

To the defense of Specialized the 12-36 that was fitted originally was almost identical to the 11-32 ratio when on a 26er.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Got a ride on these cranks yesterday... they shift very well, as well if not better than the Shimano cranks that they are replacing, and better than the Raceface Deus cranks that I had on the old bike. Lateral stiffness is very good as well.

Of course the most interesting part is the new gear ratios that I have now... I definitely I never found myself looking for a gear that wasn't there, and only 1 time did I feel the need to change rings in the front at an inconvenient time (knowing that I was about to go crosschain). Ordering a new cassette now that should take care of that... going with 11-34 which should make this crank a home run.