Quantcast

new cranks ?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
so I need new cranks/BB, advice required please

1. New XT 760 combo, good price, great looks, but you can't change crank or BB at at a laterstage cos of the intergration.

2. Race Face Evolve XC, don't know too much about them, price is OK, like ISIS cos of many diff co.'s using this interface, gives you some options

3. Truvativ Stylo, know nothing about them, ISISI again.

any other suggestions, would love Middleburns but too pricey

thanks

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What price range are you looking? Aren't the XTs significantly more than the Evolves (like $100 more?). For $280 or so you can get FSA Carbon MTN cranks... something like 580g. They are ISIS as well.

That's what I'm getting for my bike.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Last year's xtr's had problems with bearing cup failure. I don't know if they fixed it this year.

The FSA carbon cranks with the ti bb are actually lighter than xtr. But probably more costly than what you're looking for.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by jacksonpt
What price range are you looking? Aren't the XTs significantly more than the Evolves (like $100 more?). For $280 or so you can get FSA Carbon MTN cranks... something like 580g. They are ISIS as well.

I will be shopping over at www.chainreactioncycles.com and they have the XT crank/bb combo for about GBP 93.00, the evolves are like GBP 68.00 for crankset only, BB is about GBP 34 I think, so similar price all together.

saw XT's and Evolve's at the LBS today, XT's win hands down

FSA is way too expensive, would rather go Middleburn's if I had the cash.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!

I have the FSA Carbon team issue cranks for my race bike. They are nice :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
From the little bit of shopping I've done... there are 2 versions of the XT crankset on the market right now... the M752 and the M760. I believe the 752 is last years version and the 760 is the 2004 crankset. Anways... the 760s are $10 less than the FSAs... at least over here they are. The 752s are $140 less and 220g lighter.

The 752s look like a heck of a buy.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Anways... the 760s are $10 less than the FSAs... at least over here they are. The 752s are $140 less and 220g lighter.

The 752s look like a heck of a buy.
te weight they give fro hollowtech II 760 series cranks includes the BB, so they are actually a few grams lighter than last years 752's if you include a UN72 hollowtech BB

CRC have the carbon FSA's for GBP 221.27 for arms and rings, XT 760's are GBP 93.61 (incl. BB !!)

but that in the UK and its far cheaper to post to SA from there than it is from the States, juts want to make sure I'm not overlooking some great cranks that I'm not too familiar with.

btw they got the 752's for GBP 68.08

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Race face turbine lp's
Hadley square taper ti BB.

Splined bottom brackets are stupid for XC, It is still almost impossible to find a splined setup that comes in lighter than the lightest quality square taper bb's and cranks. The stifness difference is incosequential, maybe 3-5 watts at most, and lots of places are blowing out high quality square taper bb's and cranks.

For 90% of the stuff out there in the MTB world newer= heavier. more complicated and less reliable.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
well, my cranks arrived today, 3 cheers for DHL !

XT M760's, weighed them in at 880g (including BB), so not the lightest, but not too bad either, have to run around tomorrow to find the tool to install 'em.

nice thing is they fit both 68mm and 73mm BB's so when I change frames (by the end of the year I hope) compatibility won't be a factor.

Originally posted by rockracing
well, my cranks arrived today, 3 cheers for DHL !

XT M760's, ...
Good call, those will be great cranks. However, the rumors you heard about bearing problems were true --but easily resolved before you install the cranks. Pop the seal of one side of each bearing and lay a bead of grease in, then pop the seal back in. The bearing problem is that many were shipped nearly dry, so they self-destruct. A simple bead of grease resolves it.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by EBasil
Good call, those will be great cranks. However, the rumors you heard about bearing problems were true --but easily resolved before you install the cranks. Pop the seal of one side of each bearing and lay a bead of grease in, then pop the seal back in. The bearing problem is that many were shipped nearly dry, so they self-destruct. A simple bead of grease resolves it.
thanks for that, will do when I install tonight, a mate of mine had XTR's last year and the bearings f'd out after about 3 months, so will definately lube 'em before installation.

Attachments