Quantcast

New crankset

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
I'm not sure where to put this since it's about DS racing....
I'm guessing here since its probably the closest to it.

I have FSA V-drive cranks and have bent both arms and the non-drive side comes loose off the BB (it's a crank issue, Ive tested it out with another BB). The non-drives pedal thread is also demolished and metal shards are sticking out... this was all from just riding on it, not even banging them against anything (ie. trials use).

My question is what cranks should I go for? Weight is obviously an issue since I will be racing so cromoly is out of the question. I also dont have much money to spend currently but even if it's expensive, tell me about it so that I have that option if I somehow am able to afford to spend more.

I'd like it to be ISIS since I already have a BB and its all installed great, but this isn't mandatory.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Sounds like you're pretty hard on your stuff. I bit the bullet a long time ago and went steel and I'll never go back. They look hot, feel stiffer than anything else, and I never have to worry about them. If you're really that concerned with weight you can spring for a ti spindle. A decent set of used profiles and a new spindle would probably be in the same price range as another aluminum set which you're going to have to replace again.

If you've got connections with a shop that deals their stuff, profile has a lifetime warrantee on their arms and steel spindles, which they take care of pretty well. I know this sounds like a commercial for profile, but I bought one set in the fall of '98 and I'm still using them. Make sure they're set up right and they won't disappoint.

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
I actually consider myself a fairly smooth rider and am not rough on my parts.
And it's not just what I think, others say that also.

I'm thinking about getting some Truvativ Holzfellers or Middleburn RX-7s

I work at a shop, so I guess I have 'connections' with a shop.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hmm. What about XTR's? Maybe some Truvativ Stylos? (spelling?) If your smooth like you say ;) they should hold. I'm 'semi' smooth... and my XTR's have been holding up fine on my DH bike.

-J

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
w00dy said:
Sounds like you're pretty hard on your stuff. I bit the bullet a long time ago and went steel and I'll never go back. They look hot, feel stiffer than anything else, and I never have to worry about them. If you're really that concerned with weight you can spring for a ti spindle. A decent set of used profiles and a new spindle would probably be in the same price range as another aluminum set which you're going to have to replace again.

If you've got connections with a shop that deals their stuff, profile has a lifetime warrantee on their arms and steel spindles, which they take care of pretty well. I know this sounds like a commercial for profile, but I bought one set in the fall of '98 and I'm still using them. Make sure they're set up right and they won't disappoint.
I agree with woody, Steel feels much better, its cheap, litterly indistructable, and you can get a ti spindle to keep the weight down!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Truvativ holzfellers hold up really well, the hussefelts (spelling) are similar to the fsa v-drives.. but much more durable since they have the pedal thread inserts.

To avoid the crank coming loose at the bb, always make sure the crank bolts are tight. If you run it loose for even a little while the softer aluminum on the v-drives gets deformed and won't fit right.

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
scurban said:
I agree with woody, Steel feels much better, its cheap, litterly indistructable, and you can get a ti spindle to keep the weight down!
ti will also bend faster than steel, only weight weenies worry about weight, dont be a weenie.

I weigh 225, and i have had my profiles for about 3 months now and i love them, no problems at all, and i can say that i am not a light rider. i beat the sh!t out of my bike. steal is real

Lennox

Monkey
Mar 27, 2003
Toronto, Ont. Canada
I'm 230+ ... so not easy on my parts :D

I thought some Shim XT cranks would solve the same prob ur having... nope...

buddy of mine tried the Truvativ holzfellers ... nope...

sooo... i got myself some sweet a*s DMR Chieftain cranks... not a prob since... the stiffest, strongest crank ive ever felt... never comes loose.... just a bit of a hassle to install... but when done right.. they will stay that way..

my buddy got the Block 8 cranks.... pretty much the same as DMR ... strong as hell.....

good luck... and go steel...

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
urbanhuckbot said:
ti will also bend faster than steel, only weight weenies worry about weight, dont be a weenie.

I weigh 225, and i have had my profiles for about 3 months now and i love them, no problems at all, and i can say that i am not a light rider. i beat the sh!t out of my bike. steal is real
I run steel too, I could care less about weight, it was just a suggestion for the guy who started this this topic, he's the weight weenie, I run On-One Reetards, with a steel spindle, and they rock! I also run a steel hardtail frame, Single speed too! don't accuse me of being a weight weenie

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
saint?

Deus ..er Atlas?

Pounder? (isis ver. of x-drive)

Smackdaddy? oh they're too heavy, boohoo. Actually i'd never run them as they're so goddamd frickin huge.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
on my dh bike im runnin the new xt hollow type cranks with the 1 piece bb and crank arm and they rock. i also have stylo ss's (no granny bosses) on my mtn cross bike, then the hardtail had profiles but they are entirely overkill and not needed for street and dirt if you know how to ride a bike decently, it now rocks holzfellers