Quantcast

New Cross Country Design Feedback

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
My friend just showed me this new design. He would like some feed back and he wants to know if anyone would buy it. It looks pretty good to me but its mostly for cross country and i think it would work well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
His train of thought isn't that bad, but he neglected to consider one major factor of mountain biking:

a mountain.

His video shows a dude riding on flat ground, with an occasional 2 foot dirt pile. This does not represent real mountain biking in anyway shape or form. As soon as you point a mountain bike down a reasonably steep decline, a seat that high is a recipe for going AOTK.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
not me. i guess he could be onto something but some things bother me. one being that sprint position. how often do you sprint on a mtb? i think that feeling of the saddle being up my ass would be distracting. second is the climbing. when he's climbing i noticed how straight his leg becomes on the down pedal. don't know if that's a design problem or not but the possibility of hyperextending my knee isn't something i would look forward too. and i'll have to assume that he has set up his position for himself correctly. if that's the case then that climbing position is bad.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It appears the design is based upon the assumption that people remain seated at all times. Not true of course as one must shift the centre of mass forward and back between the wheels to maintain traction, not go over the bars etc.

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
i think that feeling of the saddle being up my ass would be distracting. second is the climbing. when he's climbing i noticed how straight his leg becomes on the down pedal. don't know if that's a design problem or not but the possibility of hyperextending my knee isn't something i would look forward too. and i'll have to assume that he has set up his position for himself correctly. if that's the case then that climbing position is bad.
I noticed that too...no thank you

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
Interesting. I think the thing that freaks me out is that the seat is moving around - I always like to know exactly where my seat is (and I do when it's fixed to the seat post). I think with this bike I'd always have to look down to see whether the seat was actually under me everytime I want to sit.

It would be really painful if you thought the seat was way back and it turned out to be right below you.