Quantcast

New, crowdsourced, year round bike park on the BC South Coast.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd think the ideal lift would be one where the bike tray sits out wider than a normal 4 person chair and just ahead of a 2 seat chair. That way you walk up and roll your bike into a tray itself on your same chair, 2 riders in a chaur and bikes just ahead of you. Then, when you get off you can unload your own bike.

It would save money on lift operators.
Sounds like Bromont on the world cup side. One lift dude at the top and one at the bottom. You're on your own for loading and unloading the bikes.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
As long as it's a detachable high speed lift. I hate fixed grip lifts...so slow.
yep this makes a huge difference.

As for the transport-system I think the one they use in chatel is pretty good where you hang your bike in the back of the chair before you. In theory you'll need only one operator on the bottom and 1-3 on top.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hmm...we just sold an old high speed lift here this summer....From like 1988 or 1990.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
The old whistler fixed grip chair has already been sold. The major cost of used chairlifts is transport/installation. Old fixed grips also need to be brought up to code when they are recommissioned, this generally means a lot of safety upgrades adding to the cost. If they go the fixed grip option of an an old Yan lift, they'll be looking well over a $million.

The main difference between a winter ski lift and a summer bike park lift? Temperature and dust. Most lifts are designed to run in cold conditions, and we're never designed to deal with warm dust. The sealing on bearings is designed to protect from ice, not dust. The close tolerances and materials used change dimension when it's 50* warmer.

I'd much prefer to see a new Doppelmayr high speed quad, a much nicer experience for guests. In reality they'll be looking at around $10million.

Ps, lift operators are the least of your concern money wise, and you will always need them, they do more than you give them credit for.