Quantcast

New DH frame, trying to Make a Decision

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by bpatterson6, Nov 24, 2005.

1. bpatterson6

bpatterson6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Do I wait for the new Yeti 303 Frame for a March Delivery date?

Or Do I...

Go Ahead and get a Iron Horse Sunday...

I Love both frames

I have done quite alot of homework regarding both frames,
    but I want some other riders and Industry opinion...
    I can't decide which to get...

Please dont be an A-Hole and tell me to search, I've done that...

Thanks.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dirtjumper999

Dirtjumper999 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I've ridden the iron horse, and it is truly kickass, the only thing that i had wrong with it was that the size that i tested was a little two big, it is more of a race oriented bike. My friend just got his 303 (he works for yeti) and he said that it is an amazing freeride bike, you'll stick every landing you get. he said he had a little problem with the sliders on the back, they made some squeling noises at first but after some tri flow it was all good.
    the are both amazing bikes but if you want something that is more race oriented i would get the iron horse, but i don't know exactly how the 303 feels so, i'd say the sunday.

3. NateH

NateH Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    what type of rider are you? where do you ride? How much do you ride? How mechanical are you? More info pls

4. ride_fast

ride_fast Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    if i were you id get a sunday. its lighter and i t is also a simpler more reliable design. in my opinion the 303 is a bit complex and ive herd the sundays rock.

5. bpatterson6

bpatterson6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    It will be a DH race bike mainly...
    I have another DH bike that I'll ride for Freeride.

I am a former BMX racer and fairly smooth...
    I was a champion BMXer with 2 District titles and 2 state Championships Titles...

I race in the Expert class...
    I race both 4x and DH...

Oh yeah I race mainly in Colorado during the MSC series
    but plan on hitting some events on the Norba Circuit this next summer.

6. Dirtjumper999

Dirtjumper999 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Sunday, sunday, sunday! get the sunday man, just do me a favor, when you order it, don't get lime green, be unigue, everyone's getting lime green, get something good, and show us a picture.

7. zstyle_22

zstyle_22 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Nothing against Iron Horse, but the 303 is sick! You will not be dissapointed especially for the rough and fast msc courses.

8. dexter

dexter Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 29
    id go for the sunday. less **** to worry about breaking

9. DHracer1067

DHracer1067 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Just wandering where you would be ordering the sunday from and if it would really be coming right away? I was looking into one and I emailed go-ride about and 06 frame and they said they couldnt have one until late January.

10. konahucker43

konahucker43 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    are you limiting yourself to those 2 choices? ive never ridded the 303 but ive ridden a sunday. i was thinking about a sunday very much, but got a 05 v10 instead and i couldnt be happier

11. bpatterson6

bpatterson6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Yeah, I'm limiting myself to those 2 choices.

No V10 for me thanks. :blah:

12. zmtber

zmtber Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    from what i have heard i would have to recomend the iron horse sunday

13. BRIANBUELL

BRIANBUELL Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    What up Bri, i would go with the 303, nothing against the horse, the yeti's gonna be super, or the rails are gonna blow up but i doubt it. Maybe a Rotec in a year or two?

14. Bldr_DH

Bldr_DH Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    As much as I love the 303's design, I would give it a year for Yeti work out the little bugs that may come up.

15. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    Get what you want. If you want the yeti, wait.

I like the Foes DHS 2:1 myself. Plus you get a lot of stuff with it so its not a bad price.

16. wingman24

wingman24 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    in a little house at the top of a huge mountain
    get a canfield f1 sickest bike around

17. BKQuill

BKQuill Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    why don't you search it, oh wait you told me not to be an asshole, sorry. You know how us BMXer's are! I would vote for the Yeti. No particular reason other then I think it looks better.

18. caputo1989

caputo1989 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Too many Tourists COLORADO the place being taken o
    I hear the yeti can take a curb at 30mph and you dont feel a thing, but the sunday has proven itself.

19. RD

RD Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I would recommend the Sunday. I've had time on both, much more on the Sunday however. I too come from a bmx background (10yrs or so).

The Sunday is a fair bit lighter than the 303. In my opinion it also has a greatly superior suspension design and is incredibly flickable yet able to mow even the most nasty of rock gardens and off camber stuff (which you'll definitely see on the Mounatin States Cup). It has very refined geometry, braking and handling characteristics. Though, as with any bike it is all about set-up. Someone could get either frame, set it up horribly and think it is total crap. If possible try to get out and ride as many possible set-ups as you can. The more you have for reference the better off you'll be in terms of what suits your specific needs.

20. go-ride.com

go-ride.com Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 6
    Not many people have ridden both, but I have. I also sell both so I don't have a bias one way or the other.

I think both are cutting edge bikes. The DW linkage system is proving to be the real deal and from the runs I've taken on the 303 it will rival any DH bike. There are very few bikes that can even rival these two.

The differences:

The Sunday is lighter and has a very low BB. I corners very easily, is plush, but not as plush as some bikes (more race oriented), and the ultra low BB can be good for advanced riders and trouble for others. A lot depends on where you ride.

The 303 is super solid feeling, the faster you go the better it gets. It is low, but not like the Sunday and weighs more than the Sunday. This bike is plush, but I could bottom it on big hits. It handles bigger than I'm used to.

Ultimately:
    1. If you want a lighter bike that excels on twisty courses and you are good at avoiding hitting your pedals, the Sunday wins.
    2. If you want a very solid handling bike that gets better the faster you go, the 303 wins.

Note:
    I normally ride medium DH frames, but with both of these bikes I'd probably get a small.

21. dhmtbj

dhmtbj Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 1
    Another vote for the sunday...the bike just feels right when you ride it and I've never ridden a bike that feels good in as many different riding situations. Seems the only bad reviews have been cause by improperly tuned shocks. I absolutely love mine and will be riding it again next year and most likely for a good number of years after that. I'd be shocked if you didn't love the bike especially coming from a bmx background. Your pedalling ability should mesh perfectly with the super efficient dw link :thumb:

22. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    On the other side of your monitor with a baseball
    Get a Huffy or a Redline with the mag wheels.

Sunday...lower cost, less expensive parts to fail, proven. Save your money and buy something for your parents.

23. sbabuser

sbabuser Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 32
    How tall are you?

24. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    hey don't put down redline. they make some very good bikes

25. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    If the fit is anything like the 7point series they are small. The 15" 7point is tiny.

26. bpatterson6

bpatterson6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I went with the Yeti 303. I have wanted a 303 Since I first saw the prototype frame a few years ago. I gave the Sunday a thought because I have serveral friends riding Sundays, But I decided to do something different than my friends and hook it up with a 303.
    I'm told by Yeti that my frame is among the first 40 to be made and I'm told I should have it by Mid to late January. Should be sweet. and Another reason I went with Yeti is because the drive to Yeti is only about 45 Minutes for me across town. Yeti has made great products for years and I figure if there is a problem with the 303, they will be close by and no doubt about it, they make great products and always have great CS from what I hear and I know they that they will do whatever is neccessary to make it right.

27. bomberboy11

bomberboy11 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Having toyed around with both of them, I'd say it comes right down to what you will use the bike for more. Hairy rocky stuff for the 303 or bermy flowey stuff for the Sunday. Not to say that the 303 doesn't corner well, but the Sunday corners amazing and is more flickable for sure. However, I noticed that the Sunday feels like total **** through really rough stuff (maybe the one I was riding was set up wrong, but it could not have been very far off) and this is where the 303 is made to excel.

28. dhmtbj

dhmtbj Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 1
    ya you definitely rode a sunday with an improperly tuned shock...the sunday eats up rock gardens.