Quantcast

New digi SLR

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've been looking at getting a new digi SLR for my bday.

I have no aspirations of becoming a pro photog, so I hardly need to spend the big bucks on kit like most of you have.

I have been looking at a comparison table to compare the Canon EOS 1000D (the budget beginner's camera), the 450D and the 40D.

Now I can't see why I would pay out more for the last two when the 1000D seems to be able to do all the others can. The only major differences I can see is the other 2 can do slightly more frames per second and have a slightly higher pixel count.

Then I notice the more expensive 40D has less pixels than the cheaper 450D and the same as the budget 1000D.

I'm confused a bit, so can anyone shed some light on why the 1000D shouldn't be for me?

:monkeydance:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
MP count isn't everything. If you see yourself shooting quite a bit and building a nice lens collection then the 40D would be my pick. Plus it is more robustly built than either of the two and it is a touch bigger so depending on the size of your hands it might feels better to hold etc. For example I like playing around with my wife's 30D much more than the older Rebel XT (350D) cause it fits my hands better.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I like playing around with my wife's 30D
I'm sure there is a sig for someone right there! :biggrin:

I'm checking out some online reviews at the moment and they seem to say the same thing: Quite capable cameras.

Not much really to differentiate from the 450D anyways...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Damo, one big difference between the XXD and XXXD series cameras is the quick dial wheel on the back of the camera body

the wheel gives you the ability to change exposure (and ISO) very easily while still holding the camera to your eye. if you shoot manual, you will appreciate having this ability.

the rebel series (XXXD) cameras do take good photos, but they don't share all the features.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the 450D has more MP's because its a newer cam, but dont get fooled into thinking its a better cam than the 40D because it has more megapixels.