Quantcast

New DJ/Park/Urban Bike

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Well I've decided i want a new one. I've been looking heavily at the Transition Trail-or-Park complete bike but am open to other bikes as well. My only two conditions are that it has to be a Steel frame and build up or be priced at $1600 or less. Any opinions would be great.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
that's a nice budget for what you are building. It will be phat I'm sure...

I like the USBs but you are bound to 24s for the time being with those. My DNA was my favorite "big-wheeled" bike of all time...

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I would much prefer 26" wheels over 24". I think dual 24's is taking a little too much away from the "mountain-bike" aspect of it, imo.

Also, i forgot to mention that weight is a factor as well. Having something in the lower 30's would be great. Fiddy, how much is your ToP weighing in at?

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I have looked at the D.O.C. but not the Sovereign. What is the difference between the two?

And I have looked at the Black Market as well, but it's a little too pricey. It's a badass frame though.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
black market has another cheaper frame coming out.. called the Riot. single speed only though.

The ToP is one of the heavier frames out there.. ive swapped a few parts to lighter ones, and went single speed since last weigh in. but it was like 33.5 then. current guess would be around 32.5 lbs..

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I understand the comment about the 24s and not being mtb enough. My bike now is as close to a bmx without being a bmx as possible. It really is the best of both worlds IMO because I can run a jumper and not crash my wrists...

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Is anyone familiar with 24Seven frames? They seem to be pretty good as well.

Also, if anyone knows where i can get one, I would like to know where I can get a Dobermann Pinscher frame...

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
WKC said:
I would much prefer 26" wheels over 24". I think dual 24's is taking a little too much away from the "mountain-bike" aspect of it, imo.
IMO, you should buy a bike that fits your riding style and conditions, and not worry about what to call it.

Whats wrong with your Banshee Scratch?

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
escapeartist said:
Whats wrong with your Banshee Scratch?
Nothing is wrong with it. But it's heavy (almost 39 pounds), and is really big. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike, I would just rather get something a little smaller and definitely lighter rather than spend hundreds trying to lighten up the Scratch and still want a smaller frame. But hey, I could always buy lighter parts for the Scratch, and then if I still can't get it the way I want in terms of size, just get a different frame. If I can get the bike at least down to about 34-35 pounds, i'll be happy. Lighter is even better...I'm just tired of getting worn out on urban rides trying to do anything other than a gap.

It's probably stupid to buy another bike already anyway since I've only had that one for 9 months.

How 'bout I do this:

Switch out the old parts for new...

Marz. DJ-3 for a Manitou Gold Label 2
Wipperman 1G8 for a KMC BMX chain
36-18 gearing for a Microdrive setup
Ti spindle for the BB
Rhyno-Lite XL's for Bombshell Fatboys

Then I can get a feel for the bike with a good build...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
WKC said:
Also, if anyone knows where i can get one, I would like to know where I can get a Dobermann Pinscher frame...
I just got on that frame a couple weeks ago. (I won it so I couldn't tell you how to buy one) Competed on it the same day. It's everything I wanted coming from a minuteman frame. Lower, lighter, steeper head angle. I love the way it rides. The chain tugs work great too, they're a nice touch.

email Alain directly, I'm sure he would be happy to tell you where you can get one.

dobmaster@dobermannbikes.com

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
24Seven make really great bikes. They're out of the UK though so I don't know where you can get them in the US.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
.243 racing makes some good steel stuff. They make a great BMX/DJ seat too, just so you know. As far as an Evil Sovereign goes, take a look at the Evil Imperial too. That frame is sick!

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
WKC said:
I have looked at the D.O.C. but not the Sovereign. What is the difference between the two?
The Sovereign is Reynolds 853/725 steel made in the USA
The DOC is made from 631 from somewhere other than the USA so it's more affordable. Both are damn nice.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The DOC is slacker. I had a DOC for a while but it was too slack for my liking. Look into the Black Market Mob, the Sovereign, the Nemesis Project Death Mobile, or the Nemesis Project Secret Agent.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
escapeartist said:
IMO, you should buy a bike that fits your riding style and conditions, and not worry about what to call it.
QUOTE]

Precisely!!! You already said it wanted a park/dirtjump bike so why care if it is MTB enough? A pure race XC sled and a DH bike are also polar opposites... you should get the right tool for the job.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Jenson was selling them last year, not sure about this year. For 1600 you could build up a mob pretty decent as long as you shop for an 06 closeout fork and aren't going blackbox on the drivetrain.

WKC said:
Is anyone familiar with 24Seven frames? They seem to be pretty good as well.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Again, pretty slack. Run a 3" fork for DJ/Urban IMO, on pretty much any bike.

I really liked my bud's steelhead with his 4" fork in ETA mode w/ like an inch of travel. It was harsh but it was steep and low, how it should be.

If I were you I'd cut down the springs and lower the DJ to 80mm and go from there.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
untitledsince89 said:
anyone ride a steelhead and any comments on how they ride for dj urban with say a 100mm dj?
Stewdogg rides one with a Shiver SC in the front. It's pretty sweet, especially for the price, and he is a local NC rider, so if you come out to Country Park on the right day or go ride in Chapel Hill you might be able to get in a test ride.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
yea I;ve ridden with him before and its def a solid bike, how much travel is the shiver, idk 100 mm will be fine idc if its too slack or not I'm not that picky when it comes to bikes, at all as long as its solid and feels good

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
yea 100mm fork will been fine on there then Bicylist u must think that a lot of bikes have super slack ht's then becuase on both the steelhead and seemed fine for me, maybe for more of a park street aspect, either way just an opinon thanks for the help

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
I was in my local shop the other day and he has a Black Market MOB frame on sale for a great price. I don't know if it's a large or small- might be worth giving him a call. Cool guy and a great little shop.

Call Joe @ Joe's Bikes- 303-666-1400

http://www.joesbikeshopco.com/