Quantcast

New DJ rear wheel... need some input please

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
So, I'm building a new rear wheel because I'm officially tired of the crap freewheel hub I'm running on my xenia. I'm pretty much set on the DMR revolver cassette hub that comes with the 13t cog and then am just going to switch out the 13 for a 12t.

My two questions are:

Am I retarted for lacing this hub to the Rhyno Lite XL I already have? I haven't had any problems with the rim yet but I've heard horror stories about them. I'm 180 and not the smoothest guy on the block but the wheel will be built by a VERY good wheel builder with lots of spoke tension. Should I just sack up and buy a new rim too? Should the Rhyno Lite XL hold up if built properly? (considering a supra bh for the cheap factor)

Other question is am I retarted for contemplating using DT competition (double butted) spokes? I'm not a dj guy and I know my double butted spokes hold up fine on my dh rig... I would like to keep the wheel semi light but I'm not sure what the concensus of the DJ people is about double butted spokes.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Id say a rhynolite would hold up fine for the front, but I personally would try to get a new rim as well. 721s are light and hold up really well. As for spokes, I would go with some regular 14g.