Quantcast

New dj/street build opinions.

Pete Malloy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
Guelph Ontario, Canada
Hello all, I'm currently building up a new custom dj/street bike and wondered what other people thought.
Here's a link for the frame:
http://www.fireeye-bike.com/spitfirexvi.html

The frame is a new Grey FireEye SpitFire. The rest of the bike is (so far), 2006 Rockshox pike u-turn, Truvativ Holzfeller cranks, Sun Double track 26" rims, FireEye fire bar and talon stem, RaceFace Diabolus headset, Avid BB5 brakes and Maxxis Holy Roller tires.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Unless you are a bigger guy, or going absolutly huge on it, I think the doubletracks might be a little to heavy and overkill IMO. I've run them on a DH bike, but I think they are to heavy for urban/dj.

Pete Malloy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
Guelph Ontario, Canada
I am a bigger guy, and am really rough on rims. Also, I had the option of buying hydro's but didn't want them on this bike. The Avid mech's are great for street/dj riding (I've rode them before) and I already have hydro's on my FS bike.:)

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
yeah ive never heard of fireeye either but they make some pretty sicky stuff i coud see myself riding one of those yeah im likin' your ride by the sounds of it

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
ThePriceSeliger said:
Unless you are a bigger guy, or going absolutly huge on it, I think the doubletracks might be a little to heavy and overkill IMO. I've run them on a DH bike, but I think they are to heavy for urban/dj.
it's as much about how often you case and/or under-rotate

Pete Malloy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
Guelph Ontario, Canada
no, I don't case or under-rotate alot. I wanted good strong rims that I knew I could trust, and Sun double tracks are a good, solid and not too too heavy of a rim. With this build, I'm not at all concerned about weight (within reason) to strength. I weigh a good amount and some tricks (like abubaca's) are pretty rough on rims. Double track's don't fold, and their good for not getting pinch flats. Also, to answer your question mobius, I don't tend to destroy front wheels much, but hate having mismatched parts, and for the weight difference, it's a non-issue. Yesterday I ordered a SRAM x9 Derailleur and shifters.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
CreeP said:
it's as much about how often you case and/or under-rotate
I weigh about 200, and when I learned 360's, I was on singletracks, and only put them slightly out of true. Nothing that 5 minutes of your time couldn't fix. I've had some nasty casings though.

Heman

Chimp
Aug 5, 2011
Germany
I've never heard of this FireEye company, but I like the looks of this:

I am actually building a bike from scratch using this frame, from what i have seen and done so far, it is great. It is also pretty light, and feels quite sturdy, should be fun to ride. :D