Quantcast

New Downhill riding.. over 100 Mph

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Instead of wearing that aero helmet which magically disappeared after landing, he might have worn a real full-face, even a moto gp helmet. Maybe he would not have 500 feet of road rash on his face.

I wonder what kind of bike that was....

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
sanjuro said:
Instead of wearing that aero helmet which magically disappeared after landing, he might have worn a real full-face, even a moto gp helmet. Maybe he would not have 500 feet of road rash on his face.

I wonder what kind of bike that was....
:stupid: Though I think any helmet might fly off at that speed

And I wonder what bike it was too.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It was in Nicuragua. The guys name was Eric Grone or Glone or something like that. I remember that video from 5 or 6 years back.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kinghami3 said:
:stupid: Though I think any helmet might fly off at that speed

And I wonder what bike it was too.
Somehow, I think these kinds of helmets are designed to stay on at even 170kph crashes.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
The first run was done on an aluminum frame, which is why he survived. But then for some reason he swapped to a carbon Trek frame that was not designed for this and when the volcanic rock hit it at that velocity it snapped the frame/that and the impact of going over the bump at the same time was too much for the frame to handle and viola...belly flop at 100mph. Ouch!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
The first run was done on an aluminum frame, which is why he survived. But then for some reason he swapped to a carbon Trek frame that was not designed for this and when the volcanic rock hit it at that velocity it snapped the frame/that and the impact of going over the bump at the same time was too much for the frame to handle and viola...belly flop at 100mph. Ouch!
Did he use a carbon frame to lighten up? I would think 200 grams are critical when descending at 170kph. Otherwise he would only be going 175kph.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
sanjuro said:
Did he use a carbon frame to lighten up? I would think 200 grams are critical when descending at 170kph. Otherwise he would only be going 175kph.
Wouldn't more weight make him go faster. He wasn't pedaling.

Air resistance would be the biggest limiting factor at that speed.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Crazy, ti and carbon fiber failure is so scary since it just snaps like that.... Just another reason for me to stay away from it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wumpus said:
Wouldn't more weight make him go faster. He wasn't pedaling.

Air resistance would be the biggest limiting factor at that speed.
Sarcasm alert! Sarcasm alert!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
About the Helmet coming off.... Let me just leave it at this. There is a reason why Bicycle Helmets are Illeagal for Use on a Motorcycle. Those darn plastic clips just dont handle speed well. a Most wonderfull example of why you need the proper gear for the task at hand

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
kinghami3 said:
Goodness sakes! let me rephrase that: [lightheartedly]I don't think too many mt. bike helmets will stay on during a crash like that.[/lightheartedly]. I could, of course, be wrong. :mumble:

Would depend on teh retention system. Alot of people are Running DoT approved Helms now that use a D ring style strap Vs a buckle. D ringd take a Whole lot more to remove. Fact is he had a Very wrong Helmet for what he was doing. SHould have had something made for a 100 mile an hour plus impact

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
gawd that gp vid was sick! one of the best race compilations i've seen ever! now i'm gonna have to go out and buy another sportbike and hit up some trackdays again :help: nothing like an 80mph drift on two wheels :thumb:

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Wow that is pin gnar! He should have been wearing a car or motorcycle racing helmet nevermind a moto helmet. The guys lucky he was able to get up after that one. Pretty crazy and cool to see people pushing the limits of our sport!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
gangstamaxx said:
Wow that is pin gnar! He should have been wearing a car or motorcycle racing helmet nevermind a moto helmet. The guys lucky he was able to get up after that one. Pretty crazy and cool to see people pushing the limits of our sport!
It was more of the everyone-there-was-helping-him-along type of get up....I doubt that guy knew what century he was in or what planet he was on.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Obviously, it was his approaching towards bikes. I bet he was some kind of roadie/TT freak who thought going fast on a paved surface translated to riding down a mountainside.

Think of it this way, the Red Bull Road Rage riders were mostly from the DH school, and they had pads and full face helmets (most of them).