Quantcast

New DW Link Turner DH

Just Davie

Chimp
Nov 25, 2009
Berwick, UK
Not availabile till April but speaking to DT they have 5 Prototypes still running at the end of the year and here is what he said

'I used less hard alloy in the lower link to see what would happen. It did not work, so 3 of the bikes are running with higher strength right now. Same frames, just new lower link and bolts.

Not many companies have 5 protos still running at the end of the year, the bikes have obviously been modified where needed but he was saying that every test rider has reported good things for the DW DHR. I think this is a testament to how commited Turner are at bringing out a bike that will not only Race well but will last, something i think you should expect when you pay all that money. There are a couple of manufacturers out there that produce bikes without proper R&D and this is well known in one big American company no names mentioned.

Attachments

happhazard

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
The new bike looks promising, hopefully all the testing yeilds a durable product. At 9.5# or so, its getting pretty damn light. So light that it cracks? -IMO, it doesn't matter all that much- that is, if they're warranty coverage is as good as it has been in previous years...
I won't be holding my breath regarding the April due date though.

It seems like Turner missed out on alot of potential sales by postponing the release date so far into 2010.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The is all good but it seems like there are tons of companies who can bring out new bikes and now even at some killer price points. I think the delay will make this frame even more a niece bike than before except if he can bring it to market at a reasonable price point.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I'll take durability over warranty support up to a point. If they can get my frame back to me in less than 2 weeks so I don't miss a race then awesome. Otherwise I'd rather ride a heavy bike that will last at least 2 seasons with no warranty needed.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
I am jonesin for one of these for next season. I had the chance to do several runs at mountain creek on that green proto (with the suspension set up pretty well for me) and was blown away by the performance of the bike. I literally could not fault the thing. Amazing traction and big bump absorption.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
There are a couple of manufacturers out there that produce bikes without proper R&D and this is well known in one big American company no names mentioned.
OK, let's just play devils advocate, because if your going to suggest a bike company is slapping **** together without r&d i want some proof

Prove your point with data suggesting any number of the large companies do not spend R&D Money on their DH bikes.

Revenue spent by Turner of R&D versus revenue spent by your claim on R&D

Seriously you arent helping Turner any by posting crap like this. Speaking of the bikes merits and not slagging competitors is what peaks peoples interest. You have 3 posts and joined this month. This smells of trolling.

Not that the DHR needs it, Turner's frame and rep combined with DW technology is a sure fine winner anytime.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll take durability over warranty support up to a point. If they can get my frame back to me in less than 2 weeks so I don't miss a race then awesome. Otherwise I'd rather ride a heavy bike that will last at least 2 seasons with no warranty needed.
You ever owned a turner and had to deal with them over a warranty issue?

It's pretty ridiculous how well they get new parts to you when needed.

I'd also be pretty surprised if this frame really does weigh 9.5lbs.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You ever owned a turner and had to deal with them over a warranty issue?

It's pretty ridiculous how well they get new parts to you when needed.

I'd also be pretty surprised if this frame really does weigh 9.5lbs.
The proto I tested was the medium and it was setup for me perfectly too and I agree with everything pip3r said. It amped me up big time. Oh, and when you see it in person, it's not a scantily built gram bike. It's stout construction that you can see in person immediately.

I'm pumped. If nobody else is, it won't change my real world testing opinion. E-ride that bike all you want guys. Me, Pip3r, IanCollins...we've all ridden it lots and know what it can do.:thumb:

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
9.5# with shock seems like a lofty goal. It seems a lot of companies talk about a super lightweight DH frame in pre-production, but when it comes down to it, you wind up with a frame that's at least a pound heavier. Not a bad thing IMO. I'd rather have a bike that doesn't dent when I put it in the back of a truck. Also, I'm guessing $3K + for this frame...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It seems like Turner missed out on alot of potential sales by postponing the release date so far into 2010.
Turner missed out on a potential sh!tstorm by waiting until the bike is ready for proper commercial sale. It's good to see DWDT taking steps to make sure the bike is ready for the slack jawed yokels like ourselves...I'm sure it'll be stiff and competitive when it finally comes out. I'll wait to tout any benefits until I can ride one, but one thing DW and DT are good at is polishing a product until there are few flaws.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
dont you guys think that turner bikes could be/look more refined?
i mean ,look at the ht gussets and st/tt brace on the new dhr ,it looks like something from 5 years ago (actually ,it looks exactly like on the sunday).
with todays tubing technologies ,i would expect a more "refined" look on turner frames (which i know are well handling and very durable).
by that ,i dont mean it has to look like a mondraker/glory/session... ,but just a bit more up to date (specially considering turner frames prices).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hell no. Hydroforming is a bit like tattoos...a little bit can go a very long way, but too much and it just looks like trash. I'm in love with round tubes, but am satisfied with a little bit of profiling for better strength. Leave the Flatline-esque pre-bent DT alone.

On that note...being/looking like the sunday is hardly a bad thing, in most instances.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
dont you guys think that turner bikes could be/look more refined?
i mean ,look at the ht gussets and st/tt brace on the new dhr ,it looks like something from 5 years ago (actually ,it looks exactly like on the sunday).
with todays tubing technologies ,i would expect a more "refined" look on turner frames (which i know are well handling and very durable).
by that ,i dont mean it has to look like a mondraker/glory/session... ,but just a bit more up to date (specially considering turner frames prices).
I don't know why you'd be concerned about this issue of looking "up to date." Talking about it makes you look like an e-rider.

What matters is how it rides, not whether it has the latest design fads incorporated.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
We have actually had a couple people put down deposits on these frames, i just told them "don't sell your current bike!" These were both customers that have Turners allready and are willing to wait however long it takes.

Krispy

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
I don't know why you'd be concerned about this issue of looking "up to date." Talking about it makes you look like an e-rider.

What matters is how it rides, not whether it has the latest design fads incorporated.
i totally agree that how it rides is the main concern !!! however ,cant a 3k frame ride great and use more up to date tubing technologies and offer a little sleeker lines ? (though i guess it is a matter of personal taste)

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
It looks like there is no mud clearance on the back end. Seems like the shock will eat lot of mud\things…

No?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I've seen the bike at diablo before. I don't remember what the chainstay looks like, but you could probably just put a tube where mud would get flung up into the shock.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
Its a beautiful bike. Nice clean strait lines are refreshing after looking at all these bikes that look like they sat too close to the fire and melted slightly.
Besides, it is all about; how well it rides, customer service, and keeping the revenue in America.
Win, Win, and Win......

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That proto is NOT going to be production as it sits. DW has made some changes to the kenematics and the pivots/shock will move a little to provide more tire clearance. What you and everyone else has seen to this point has been a test mule...proof of concept.

The best place to get real info about this frame (from either DT or DW) is the turner board on MTBR.

From DW, 3 weeks ago: "I finished the latest production tweaks to the suspension and chassis layout a few weeks ago, and the bike is in final engineering now. I'm not sure what that means for actual production (David would have a much better idea there), but rest assured that we are all working hard on it and thinking about the bike a lot. We learned a lot about the mechanical parts of the design this summer and there are quite a few structural improvements planned for the production model that I think are going to end up being really significant. It's going to be one heck of a race bike."

From DT, 3 weeks ago: "As DW pointed out the kinematics were revised, largely due to the limited tire clearance, and to get more tire clearance without increasing the rear end length the linkage and shock had to be moved forward a bit, this required DW to do his math once again as it pertains to rider and wheels and ground etcetc with an eye on what we learned from the protos. This change is allowing my engineer Todd, to beef up the link and bearing system from protos. More stiffness and less weight are on the short list for the revision, oh, and we threw the latest shock files in from Rockshox, Fox and Marzocchi to make sure we had clearance on everything they planned."

I think you will also find that DT is dead set against over-manipulated, swoopy, 'fashion forward' frame designs. Much more of a work horse, minimalistic, industrial design kind of a guy when it comes to frames. Personally, I like it and am glad someone is bucking the 'melted plastic look' trend.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Second that. Really gives me less to worry about and I'm sure I'm gonna feel more comfortable knowing that there is little risk that I'll trash my frame.

Just Davie

Chimp
Nov 25, 2009
Berwick, UK
OK, let's just play devils advocate, because if your going to suggest a bike company is slapping **** together without r&d i want some proof

Prove your point with data suggesting any number of the large companies do not spend R&D Money on their DH bikes.

Revenue spent by Turner of R&D versus revenue spent by your claim on R&D

Seriously you arent helping Turner any by posting crap like this. Speaking of the bikes merits and not slagging competitors is what peaks peoples interest. You have 3 posts and joined this month. This smells of trolling.

Not that the DHR needs it, Turner's frame and rep combined with DW technology is a sure fine winner anytime.
Fair comment mate i dont have any data all i have is bikes that come out from one of these companies that i have bought bikes from and 1 year later they are getting HA changed, new links, new droputs sent out, misalignments cracking frames....etc etc..

And im not trying to help Turner but hey any publicity is good publicity!
Im showing the People the new DHR im excited about it, i cant wait..so whats wrong with sharing that info?

Just cause i have 3 posts and i joined this month oh im sorry i never new you could't talk about this kind of stuff until you had posted 20000 posts. I tell you if people like you spent as much time on yer bikes as you do on these forums you would be WC quality

PEACE

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
i totally agree that how it rides is the main concern !!! however ,cant a 3k frame ride great and use more up to date tubing technologies and offer a little sleeker lines ? (though i guess it is a matter of personal taste)
That's what I always said about Turner, but after seeing how a lot of companies have no taste or sense of style when it comes to curvy tubes, I've changed my mind.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh, and when you see it in person, it's not a scantily built gram bike. It's stout construction that you can see in person immediately.

I'm pumped. If nobody else is, it won't change my real world testing opinion. E-ride that bike all you want guys. Me, Pip3r, IanCollins...we've all ridden it lots and know what it can do.:thumb:
I don't know why you quoted me but I rode the damn thing before you did :rofl:

Yeah I've seen it in person and yeah I'll still be surprised if it weighs 9.5lbs.

The only way I'm NOT buying one is if it's not ready by june or if I just can't afford it. That's the best dh bike I've ever ridden. Of course I haven't ridden that transition TR250 though.....:D

Last edited:

Chimp
Nov 13, 2009
Its a beautiful bike. Nice clean strait lines are refreshing after looking at all these bikes that look like they sat too close to the fire and melted slightly.
Besides, it is all about; how well it rides, customer service, and keeping the revenue in America.
Win, Win, and Win......

I don't live in America so, no, not really. :)

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I think you will also find that DT is dead set against over-manipulated, swoopy, 'fashion forward' frame designs. Much more of a work horse, minimalistic, industrial design kind of a guy when it comes to frames. Personally, I like it and am glad someone is bucking the 'melted plastic look' trend.

I agree, the DHR had always been a workhorse, reasons why people keep them longer then most frames. I see people whip their Intense, Spech, Giant Etc after one year all the time, most people from my experience keep hold of there turners or are almost choosy who they are sold to. for the number sold ratio I think there still alot more round and square tube DHR's or any other turner for that matter that are still under there first owner then most other frames out there

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Yeah I've seen it in person and yeah I'll still be surprised if it weighs 9.5lbs.
i rode the thing before anyone on here....and not to be an ass but it's definitely 9.5 lbs, i've had it on a scale....once it gets a hardware updo it'll be hovering around 9 lbs with a ti spring.....

one of the reasons this bike(and all the new turners for that matter) is lighter compared bikes he's made in the past is that david has done alot of FEA work to remove unnecessary excess weight without sacrificing strength....his older bikes were a little overbuilt....

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well I saw star wars before you.

You don't seem to be getting what I'm saying. Regardless of what the prototype weighs (which is being completely redesigned to make some things more durable don't forget), I'll STILL be surprised if the production version weighs that little. Mostly because turner is not intense. Traditionally they've erred on the side of durable vs. lightweight. I'm not saying it's not going to happen or that it's impossible. I'm saying I'll be surprised. That's all. :)

Last edited:

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA

You don't seem to be getting what I'm saying. Regardless of what the prototype weighs (which is being completely redesigned to make some things more durable don't forget), I'll STILL be surprised if the production version weighs that little. Mostly because turner is not intense. Traditionally they've erred on the side of durable vs. lightweight. I'm not saying it's not going to happen or that it's impossible. I'm saying I'll be surprised. That's all. :)
So are you saying you'll be surprised if it makes weight? ;)

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA

i've talked to david about it pretty thoroughly and unless it gains a massive amount of weight from hardware change, no the bike won't gain much weight at all....the protos weigh in at his target weight for the bike, all of the tubing and machinework won't change, so again, the weight won't go up...one of his biggest objectives with this bike was substantial weight loss.....either way, i'm pumped and can't wait to get my hands on one again cause it blew my mind, and after some more refinement, i truly believe it'll be the best bike on the hill.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
either way, i'm pumped and can't wait to get my hands on one again cause it blew my mind, and after some more refinement, i truly believe it'll be the best bike on the hill.....
Word. Me too. :)

really? You sure?

Actually I think jesus rode it first. I saw him on it in a coloring book. He was laying out the biggest scrub whip ever.

Last edited: