Quantcast

New Englander's review of 3 Colorado DH resorts

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Spent the week of the 4th out in Colorado riding Winter Park, Copper and Keystone. Winter Park and Keystone are more DH bike resorts with tons of trails while Copper only has a couple of trails but if you like fast and flowy trails and no crowds then Redtail at Copper is a lot of fun. It's also only $15 to ride the full day at Copper, can't beat that price.

Winter Park is good but the condition of the trails didn't seem great. Tons of braking bumps entering the berms and the tabletops need some attention. We were there on the 4th so it was definitely the most crowded. Only found one terribly challenging trail, Trestle Downhill which is a double black but nothing crazy if you've ridden places like Sunday River or Bromont back east. Amazing fleet of rental equipment at WP, if I were to go again I wouldn't bother shipping my own bike.

Keystone was a blast. Not sure how to describe it but a mix of traditional back east stuff (not Highland) with some crazy bridges like Whistler has including the corkscrew. Sections of High Speed Dirt and Jam Rock remind me of the ridiculously steep sections of some of the older Sunday River trails and Bromont trails and even the old Mt Snow Yardsale (minus the volkswagon sized boulders). Best of all is that the elevation has got to be double what you get at places like Bromont and Sunday River. Runs are long and there's a lot of options too. The trails are not built up with berms and tabletops as much as places like Winter Park, Whistler and Highland but they're just fun. I highly recommend this stop.

Would have liked to make Sol Vista but didn't fit it in. Great trip:thumbsup:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Glad you had fun here in CO!

WP's jumps and drops are a lot friendlier than at Keystone, where you really need to get them right... at WP you can come up short or overshoot and still be ok. Keystone has more steeps and tech vs WP too. If WP and KS are too tame for you Sol Vista has some BIG jumps and drops but it's kinda flat (no steeps) and not much vertical. Also, nobody in CO has a jump trail with huge berms and perfectly sized tables like Rainmaker at WP... love the new upper section that ends with a big 35' table...

Also, at WP you can get bike rentals for 1/2 price if you go with someone who has a season pass, so it might make sense to post up a thread and find a local to help you out with that if anyone plans on coming out to WP this year, they do have some nice bikes and it might be easier than bringing your own bike.