Quantcast

New Fezzari DH rig

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
OK, you may have seen clips here and there of the prototype over the past year. One was seen at Eurobike disguised as a Shimano Saint DH bike and the prototypes were out at a few Utah races last season in blaze orange and salmon paint. Well, after months and months of testing and tweaks, it is ready. Here it is:

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I thought I saw JT sneaking around the shop. I just thought he was looking to steal our beer.

I should probably include some specs:
8" travel Widows Peak frame
RockShox Vivid shock
Fox 40 fork
Mavic DeeMax wheelset
Avid Code Brakes
Holzfeller OCT cranks
Holzfeller stem
Truvativ bars
Thomson post
Maxxis 3C rubber
eThirteen guide
SRAM X9 shifter and derailleur
etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Doesn't the Foes have its own custom chain guide set up?
Yup. Because of the clearance issues w/ the swingarm (resulting from a 15"+ i2i shock that has 5" stroke). I was referring more to the pic with the original (salmon) paint job. I couldn't tell what was up with the top portion of the guide, and seemingly lack of any branding.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
this is just a mini scaled down version off the Foes 2:1 DHS mono and the Fezarri and the Krafstoff share the same frame.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Yup. Because of the clearance issues w/ the swingarm (resulting from a 15"+ i2i shock that has 5" stroke). I was referring more to the pic with the original (salmon) paint job. I couldn't tell what was up with the top portion of the guide, and seemingly lack of any branding.
Oh, that was a Truvativ Boxguide but it didn't work so well. The eThirteen is perfect.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
those look pretty sweet!

anyone got the geo handy? Is there a U.S. Distributor?

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Hey guys, I just wanted to chime in and give you a little feedback and history behind the new fezzari. I am the guy in the above pic (yellow and black helmet) that raced it at the the most recent Bootleg Nevada event. I was officially on the bike one and a half days before I raced it. We literally built the bike, threw it in the car and tested it on Friday night, I pracitced the course on Saturday and raced Sunday.

The new dh bike is unlike anything I have ever ridden. It's pedal platform is a bit deceiving at first...it feels stiff initially. But once I got it on the trail (Rough Bootleg Lava Rock) It felt nimble, agile and suprizingly quick. The rockshox vivid does wonders. Fezzari has a specially tuned vivid, and it's simply amazing. The rest of the build speaks for itself....top quality components, really good geo and a great pedal platform.
I really don't know what else to ask for.

EB-Mitchell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
Vancouver
according to their site the bike only comes in medium and the horizontal toptube length is 20.1"? If so this bike is useless haha, wouldn't be surpised if its a typo though, epsecially because it appears to be a catalogue frame

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Ben the guy that is riding the bike is about 6 feet tall and it works for him. And yes one size fits most.
So D who do you have riding them this year?
Later
Vaughn

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
I just went out and measured my top tube length. It's close to 21". I am not sure what the exact length is because the top tube curves a bit...and it's difficult to measure an exact length with a tape measure. I can tell you this. It's about an inch shorter than my large Ventana El Cuervo. (again..it's not exact)

As fas as size goes, I am 6 foot and I usually ride a large (Ventana, Intense, Scott. etc.). Initially the bike felt a bit tight. Now that I have ridden it a few times...I wonder why I ever rode the large. I am using a Go-Ride direct mount stem on my Fezzari and the reach feels really good. Overall I am very happy with the fit and geometry. I can't wait to race it all season and deffend my title.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I pulled up the drawings and the effective top tube length is 23". It was a typo. You will mist likely find a bunch more on the site. It went live yesterday and they are really scrambling to fix everything. It got streessed pretty hard when everybody poped over to see the new bikes and ent down twice. Should be stable now.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
So are you going to have Mini D riding this year? It was cool seeing him rip at Wolf MTN last summer.
The bikes look cool and the guys you have riding are all fast and knowing Dave and Ben would not ride sub par bikes is good.
VM

Polhill

Chimp
Feb 8, 2008
That frame is made by Astro Engineering in TaiChung Taiwan. They are also the, not so well known, manufacturer of the earlier Honda bikes, among others like GT and Mongoose, Mondraker and I could be wrong here but I think they also have something to do with Azonic. It looks eerily similar to both the Tomac and the Foes rigs.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
OK, you may have seen clips here and there of the prototype over the past year. One was seen at Eurobike disguised as a Shimano Saint DH bike and the prototypes were out at a few Utah races last season in blaze orange and salmon paint. Well, after months and months of testing and tweaks, it is ready. Here it is
Testing and tweaks - isn't this just a catalog frame you have put your name on? I am not trying to put the bike down but that is just impression I am getting?

C_Mo

Chimp
Jul 15, 2003
Sofia, Bulgaria
I've been riding this frame for a mounth I would't praise it for it's "pedal platform"... The initial travel is pretty harsh and the traction is lousy. In the mid stroke it's almost rideable - but you have to pump the bike to get there and if the sag is set for your weight you will bottom out doing a bunny hop. It's a bit flexy and it's hard on the bearings. If you keep the fork low the BB is ok but the head angle can loose a couple degrees.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I've been riding this frame for a mounth I would't praise it for it's "pedal platform"... The initial travel is pretty harsh and the traction is lousy. In the mid stroke it's almost rideable - but you have to pump the bike to get there and if the sag is set for your weight you will bottom out doing a bunny hop. It's a bit flexy and it's hard on the bearings. If you keep the fork low the BB is ok but the head angle can loose a couple degrees.
An honest appraisal/review on the internet... few and far between. Good stuff mate, nice to hear from someone with the balls to actually criticise.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Testing and tweaks - isn't this just a catalog frame you have put your name on? I am not trying to put the bike down but that is just impression I am getting?

Sorry, I was off line for a bit. Yes, we started with a pre designed frame and spent months testing different geometries ( you can see the extra holes in mine in one of the shots above), different links, shocks, strokes, E2E, and shock tunes. As it was originally configured, I would agree with C_Mo - that is exactly how it acted. We tweaked the links a touch, lowered the BB, and slacked it out a bit. Then we tuned in the Vivid to a really nice smooth stoke. The pedal platform on the original DHX, combined with an initial rising rate made the bike really skittish in the first part of travel when we first got it so that is where we spent most of the time on this. The result is really nice. It is going to be a great season.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Sorry, I was off line for a bit. Yes, we started with a pre designed frame and spent months testing different geometries ( you can see the extra holes in mine in one of the shots above), different links, shocks, strokes, E2E, and shock tunes. As it was originally configured, I would agree with C_Mo - that is exactly how it acted. We tweaked the links a touch, lowered the BB, and slacked it out a bit. Then we tuned in the Vivid to a really nice smooth stoke. The pedal platform on the original DHX, combined with an initial rising rate made the bike really skittish in the first part of travel when we first got it so that is where we spent most of the time on this. The result is really nice. It is going to be a great season.
I remember Craner being stoked on some new links at Sundance. Thanks for clearing that up.

Curler

Chimp
Dec 6, 2007
Seattle, WA
Looks like a GREAT parts spec but with a "near" tiawanese catalog frame you need to get it closer to the Mongoose ECD price point before i would consider it.

beesonutah

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
Hey guy's, I don't usally get in on these things but here's what you should know. At first this bike had some issues but with all of the testing and tweeking it has turned into a great bike. With the tuned vivid this bike really comes alive on the trail. I had a great ride with Go-Ride and a offer from Mongoose to ride there bikes this year and I chose to ride the Fezzari. I beileve it will help me go and win back my Masters Worlds title from 06. Like I said I was riding a Ventana last year and it's a great bike but this bike felt faster on trail. And really the price is good looking at the bike boy's prices, the ECD has a great price to but it also has a cheaper fork and a few other things. Not comparing the two because it's a great bike also, and EC is a good freind. Don't get hung up on the catologe frame thing, it's not the same bike.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
The question is... what are your plans for riding? Racing? freeride?

Where are you located? If you are in the Utah area, you are more that welcome to take my new Fezzari for a spin. You won't want to give it back.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
These bikes seem like a great deal for anyone looking into getting a full on rig. I wish there was a dealer close so I could test ride one.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Funny thing is Ben and Beeson and a crew from Utah like to ride Big Sky 3 or more times a year. So they will be in your neck of the woods this year. Once the snow melts.
I just checked out Bens bike and for the price its a good deal.
VM