Quantcast

new fixie set up... what do you think?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Hey, I was pricing some stuff out today and got together this build list. let me know what you think.

Giant tcr full composite road fork
surly steamroller frame
dura ace hubs
dura ace lockring and 15 tooth cog
dura ace track crankset
dura ace b.b.
salsa 42 tooth chainring
Old school dura ace front brake and lever.
thomson stem
some sort of bar, fliped and cut for the bull horn effect
not sure for rims, probably open pro's

That's what I'm thinking bike be an awesome set up for a fixie. I'm riding an old french frame now and its too small for me. so I'm getting rid of it and building up a new one. Let me know what you think about the set up, and what I should change.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
oh ya, and a king headset. or something similar, but king's are pretty much the best on the market, so i'd probably go with that.
And by the claimed weights of all the parts, It should come in weight wise at about 16 pounds. give or take a pound or two. That's awesome because my current set up is 22 pounds.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Looks good so far. Couple of items though:
1. Gearing: 42:15 is a little steep, (at least for me). I know my legs "unload" around 90 rpms or so. With that gearing, you're going to have to be doing about 20-21mph for that to work. Plus it makes skidding hard. I personally run a 39:15 at the moment. It may be okay for you though, just giving my personal thoughts.

2. Hubs. Not sure if the hubs listed have track nuts or not. DO NOT run a QR.

3. Good call on the faux-bullhorns (i.e. the flip and cut). It's a sweet look. If you can dig up a 'cross-top lever and mount that (like a TT brake lever), it's a nice looking set up.

Good luck!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
ya, my current set up is a 42x15, I'm finding it to be ok. it does get hard when going slower... the fix to that problem: go faster.

the hubs are bolt on, so that's not a problem.

I'm also currenty running the bullhorn set up, and its awesome. my brake lever set up is an old dura ace lever that's backwards, so the mount is on the very end of the bar, and the lever comes back and folows the contour of the bar. it works really well, and for some reason it squeels like mad when i slam on the brakes. I think its pretty rad. its super strong set up, I can grab the front brake and get the rear wheel up off the ground no problem.

Jan 25, 2005
in richmond
sounds like a sweet fixie rig...i would offer the suggestion of going for a real bullhorn bar. i rode sawed-offs for about 5 months last year and finally got some profiles (like $25), man what a difference! more flat area for your hands (i got cramps w/ sawed-offs) is much more comfy for longer rides and the curved ends of the bars offer good leverage when coming out of the saddle during climbing or skidding. are you going to be riding at the track? if your surly is going to see a lot of street action and not racing you could save a lot of dough by going with a suzue build for the hubs and crankset rather than a dura-ace....don't know about the weight difference though, could be worth looking into.

trial-sin

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
i've read that the d/a hubs have minimal seals as they are designed around indoor velodromes. if you're gonna be riding on the rough and wild traffic i would recommend phils or surlys...depending on your bankroll...although i would say that i had to replace the bearings in my surly front hub pretty quick due to play...and yes, i know that they're adjustable but i got it as tight as the axle would allow. i just replaced them with regular enduro cartridge bearings and had no problems after that...