Quantcast

New Flick: Hero

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
You can already see this movie. Here's how, goto your local independent movie rental store. Goto the imported movie section and checkout "Hero". Its the same movie. Tarantino is only "presenting" this movie in america because it is incredible. So go rent the movie turn on your subtitles and enjoy. The use of color in this movie is outstanding....I'm not saying any more, go rent it, now! Do it!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
bigginsis said:
Go-Go in Kill Bill 1 - not only asian but asian SCHOOLGIRL. how can that be wrong???
You like big snozzes eh? haha...

i've been waiting for this flick for months, it looks frikkin cool. :thumb:

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
fuzzynutz said:
You can already see this movie. Here's how, goto your local independent movie rental store. Goto the imported movie section and checkout "Hero". Its the same movie. Tarantino is only "presenting" this movie in america because it is incredible. So go rent the movie turn on your subtitles and enjoy. The use of color in this movie is outstanding....I'm not saying any more, go rent it, now! Do it!
:stupid: Yup, I saw it a few years ago. A great film, dubbing the film into English will help understand the storyline since they have some crazy plot twists.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Yeah it came out in China a year and a half agol....got it on DVD...like it much better than Crouching Tiger though the ads are misleading about the story line. Jet Li is like some old school bounty hunter who's gotta kill these three cats for the Emperor...but yeah there's some plot twist...visually beautiful movie through.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Dog Welder said:
Oh...I sure as hell hope that it isn't dubbed....dubbing just F's up any movie.

It's the only thing different about the movie! Everything else is the same. And I do agree dubbing a movie kills it. That's why I advised renting the original. I understood the story completely.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
Dog Welder said:
yeah the last jet li movie i saw dubbed was the American version of Black Mask....OMG WHAT A HORRIBLE CHOP THEY DID TO THAT MOVIE!!!
No chopping either. Its in original form.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
fuzzynutz said:
Damn... someone beat me to it!!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Man.....

First hour and a half i was amazed and enthralled.

Then the last half hour i was getting pretty tired of seeing the people die and re-die and so on and so forth. Let's stack story on story on story it really got old.
Then did anybody else feel jipped on the end? i felt like i was subjected to a chinese communist propaganda flick. Like Mao Tse Tung came back from the dead and and took creative control at the end. Meh this flick was just like Signs, a movie that finished flatter than a five day old open can of soda.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bigginsis said:
Go-Go in Kill Bill 1 - not only asian but asian SCHOOLGIRL. how can that be wrong???
haha, if you like that you should run to the video store and rent "battle royale". if you can't find it there it's also on the usual p2p networks.

:dead: / :thumb:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it for the most part. Beautiful cinematography and acting. It was uite nice to see that they also kept it in chinese. Flying Snow and Moon were quite hot in it :D

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I saw Hero Sunday afternoon.

Thoughts:
Whoa... what a finely filmed movie. Not quite as visual as LotR but close. The fight scene between Snow and Moon in the yellow cottonwood leaves was splendid.

The story... had more twists than NY stripper on speed. Jeez... the story kept changing and changing... and changing. This was pretty cool the first couple of times but after that is was kinda lame. Crouching Tiger was much better story-wise.

The fight scenes. Let's face it... this is why most people will watch this movie. The fight scenes were...well... in a word... beautiful. However, while the beauty of the scene was stunning... they got kinda boring after a bit. Too much flying and not enough close in combat. The most of the action was not anywhere as intense as Shogun Assassin or any Jackie Chan flick.

Overall I'd give Hero 4 out of 5 samurai swords.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I thought is was rad, I really like Chinese cinema though. I am glad they didn't dub it because I really enjoy listening to Cantonese. I really enjoyed the replaying of the storyline, and the use of color in each retelling. The locations they filmed at were amazing, especially the palace. I couldn't get over how ornate everything was.

The action wasn't as intense as I hoped. I really like how choreographed old Kung-Fu movies are, and how long they used to drag out fights.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
golgiaparatus said:
Isnt that the one where they give all these asian school girls odd weapons and tell them to fight to the death?
schoolkids of both genders, but yes. it's strangely entertaining :eek:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Just don't make a mistake and rent Battle Royale 2...WHat a horrible piece of dog s#it. I heard there was a riot in Japan cuz this movies sucked so bad.

but yeah Battle Royale (w/Cheese) was a fun movie...especially the death scene of Beat Takashi.

Speakin of Beat Takashi...i recently saw his version of the blind massure/samurai assasin flick Zatoichi...I am at a loss for words over how bad that movies sucked donkey balls...and the Japanese villiagers meets STOMP ending was like WTF!?!?!

Oh and anyone who speaks Japanese fluently...why do Japanese ..when they try to speak english words...they add an "oh" to the end of the word. Like they'll say "Cigarette-oh"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dog Welder said:
Oh and anyone who speaks Japanese fluently...why do Japanese ..when they try to speak english words...they add an "oh" to the end of the word. Like they'll say "Cigarette-oh"
i'm not quite fluent but i know the answer: japanese phonetic characters all end in vowels (except for "n" and maybe an exception or two elsewhere). cigarette thus becomes shi-ga-re-tto since there is no straight consonant t sound, with the doubled t is kind of a stop.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Toshi said:
i'm not quite fluent but i know the answer: japanese phonetic characters all end in vowels (except for "n" and maybe an exception or two elsewhere). cigarette thus becomes shi-ga-re-tto since there is no straight consonant t sound, with the doubled t is kind of a stop.
So, on the flip side, why are do Japanese words, say, "ichi," end in a vowel when spelled in the Roman alphabet, but are pronounced without it by Japanese people? (I've always heard "ichi" pronounced "eech", and was praised for my good pronounciation of it by some Japanese students...I knew the word from saying it at kendo and aikido practice, not from seeing it written, so the spelling didn't throw me off.)

Same thing with "imasu." I hear it said "ee-mass", not "ee-mass-oo."

Is it like French, where the last letters aren't really said, but more of a way of intoning the end of the word? Or is it just a fact of the inexact transliteration of Japanese syllables to English? I was once told that the English writing of the words relied on a transliteration of the individual characters, which when pronounced as a word, didn't necessarily sound like they would if you just read the name of the character. What's the deal?

Oh, and yeah, I thought Hero was pretty good, if a little too superficially arty. End didn't bother me as much as it bothered Skooks, but I see where he's coming from. All in all, a fun movie worth the money to see. I wish there was less flying, though. The only movie with flying should be Real Ultimate Power: The Movie. (wow, I should get a licensing deal with that...what a script I could write...)

MD

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
ET_SoCal said:
Agreed.

Why are the newer generation movies doing this?
They aren't... flying in asian movies has been around forrrrrreeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrr. There is some strange stuff out there. Found a small clip on the net a long time ago that was pretty wacko, but I think it's kind of inappropriate to post here. Let me know through PM if you want it :nope:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MikeD said:
So, on the flip side, why are do Japanese words, say, "ichi," end in a vowel when spelled in the Roman alphabet, but are pronounced without it by Japanese people? (I've always heard "ichi" pronounced "eech", and was praised for my good pronounciation of it by some Japanese students...I knew the word from saying it at kendo and aikido practice, not from seeing it written, so the spelling didn't throw me off.)

Same thing with "imasu." I hear it said "ee-mass", not "ee-mass-oo."

Is it like French, where the last letters aren't really said, but more of a way of intoning the end of the word? Or is it just a fact of the inexact transliteration of Japanese syllables to English? I was once told that the English writing of the words relied on a transliteration of the individual characters, which when pronounced as a word, didn't necessarily sound like they would if you just read the name of the character. What's the deal?
"ichi" is kind of a corner case, one could say it "ITCHi" or just "itch" heh, but imasu definitely has the "u" bit almost totally swallowed. so i'd go with the french explanation. i do think japanese is pretty sane for pronunciation in that words do "sound how they look", but someone who did not grow up with a japanese parent would be a better person to answer this question.