Quantcast

New Flogging Molly album - Float - Fanboys, alert!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

What a very interesting album. I'm not going to lie, when I first listened to it I was disappointed - I was half expecting the gut check provided by an album like Drunken Lullabies. However, it grows on you. In my view, this album is a progression of their style and taste...they're distancing themselves from the "punk" scene (not a bad thing, IMHO), this is a far more traditional Irish sound, and could've almost been put out by the Pogues (except the Pogues could never match Dave King's vocals). I think an electric lead guitar is used in only 2 songs, so don't expect any high-powered anthems ala "Screaming at the Wailing Wall" or "Drunken Lullabies". Tons and tons more mandolin, accordion, and fiddle than previous albums. A rather somber tone is prevalent throughout the whole album, culminating in the slow waltz final track "The Story So Far". Notable tracks include "Us of Lesser Gods" (my favorite), "Float", and "Man With No Country".

Definite Guinness or whiskey swigging fare for the despondent amongst us. :thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Then you will be drinking heavily and listening to this when the Clintons crush Obama under their heels.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nice! I am looking forward to this album, particularly since you say it's more Irish trad oriented.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Dropkick Murphys latest was a touch more traditional too...looking forward to hearing this one.

Also, just FYI, Dropkicks lead guitar, Marc Orren aka "the Kid" has left the band.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Awesomeness! I saw them in December and they played a handful of tunes from the new album. Great show as always, and I'm stoked to see they will be back in Portland in March!!

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Awesome. I didn't even know they had a new album coming out. I saw them last spring at a real small venue at a college about 40 miles from Snowshoe Mountain. Got to meet Dennis Casey (lead guitarist) briefly after the show. He was a real cool guy. Definitely one of the best shows I've ever been to, along with Tool.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Also, just FYI dropkicks don't matter to me any more. Last I was aware only a single original band member was left.
Fixed. What gave you the impression that I or anyone else cared about your opinion of DKM? And yeah, Ken Casey is the last original member. What does that matter?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fixed. What gave you the impression that I or anyone else cared about your opinion of DKM? And yeah, Ken Casey is the last original member. What does that matter?
I'm not the only one who shares this sentiment. Unfortunately, DkM concerts nowadays are just a sing-a-long for drunken frat boys for the most part. There's a big difference in the crowd between a dropkick concert when I saw them in '97 (or was it '98? they were touring in support of their first album) and when I saw them in 2003.

If you like their early stuff, check out Street Dogs, Mike McColgan's current band (DKM's original singer).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But it simply a bands evolution.
i agree in principle :D But this kind of evolution is much more complex and harder to understand because so many of the original members have since moved onto to other things. The original creative force behind their direction is gone, so I'm not sure I would consider this as a true musical evolution.

Just as a point of contention here... would the Clash be so highly regarded if they didn't maintain the same lineup throughout the majority of their career? Would they have made Sandinista! the same way if Joe Strummer left after London Calling? Where they went from their s/t debut to where they ended on Cut the Crap was a musical evolution (yes, their were a few changes along the way (drummer primarily) but the main creative for of the band [Joe Strummer, Mick Jones, and Paul Simonon) remained steady for the duration of the band's career). Another good example of a true musical evolution is the Beatles. Would they be as highly regarded as they are if they changed their line-up partway through their career?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Good points all. Although the Clash played musical (No pun intended!) drummers during their run, the creative impetus (Strummers rage and disgust) remained the same. I really was never a Beatles fan, so I cant comment on them. The best thing they ever did was give it up when they did, if they hadnt they would have become a joke. The Who (One of my top 5 of all time...) have persisted for better or worse, probably for the worse. I cant bring myself to see Roger, Pete and a bunch of other guys. Just not the same. DkM is also not as succesful or influential as the aforementioned combos. Although they have enjoyed much success, they have never had a national charted single or album (That I am aware of, but then again I pay no attention to that kind of stuff.) I dont think you will ever see a DkM cover band...

But to me, DkM have changed along with me. To see the shows with just about every type of person in the crowd, to hear all kinds of music, from Oi to traditional Irish songs (Some with sweet twists) and to be able to peacefully drink a beer in the back and then jump in a pit is still great to me.
Although when they worked House of Blues I was a little turned off. Stay away from the corporate death trap clubs...