Quantcast

new foes 9" bike (fly replacment?) !!!

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
check out this new foes 9" freeride bike. could it be a fly replacment (i hope not) .
I cant understand why would foes need a 9" travel fr rig when they have the inferno , fly and mono (7.5", 8" , 10") ?
btw , i think the fly looks way better (just me).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, but the full length seattube sure gives one huge advantage when making a long travel bike that really can be pedalled up hill...

I think it looks pretty sweet personally.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
well, one reason could be because the fly is around 11lbs.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by binary visions
Yeah, but the full length seattube sure gives one huge advantage when making a long travel bike that really can be pedalled up hill...

I think it looks pretty sweet personally.
Not only that but the shock 'tunnel' was failing for many riders, this is prolly stronger and lighter. Not too bad lookin neither:D

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by ilfreerider
check out this new foes 9" freeride bike. could it be a fly replacment (i hope not) .
I cant understand why would foes need a 9" travel fr rig when they have the inferno , fly and mono (7.5", 8" , 10") ?
btw , i think the fly looks way better (just me).
Looks like a straight single pivot to me....long travel Bullit with a swing link. Where's my "yawn" smilie?:rolleyes:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by El Jefe
Looks like a straight single pivot to me....long travel Bullit with a swing link. Where's my "yawn" smilie?:rolleyes:
oh jeeze...here we go again...

No, it's the same as the fly, single pivot with swing link that the shock mounts to. Not like a bullit, like a fly with a straight seat tube.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Woah, talk about similarities!!!

Can you say "ripoff"!!??

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That bike has got to be at least %1500 percent cooler than the Fly since it has a full seat-tube at a reasonable angle. Looks like it could be nice and stiff too. RAD

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Nice looking bike. I'd love to try one. I've never seen the downside to any bike having a steep seat angle and full length seat tube. IMO it's great for climbing, and also great for keeping the seat out of your way on steeps and downhills. Props to Foes for getting it done!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
As an Orange rider i wonder what difference the swing link makes in comparison to all the Orange bikes that does not have the swing link? No 1.5 on the Foes?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
will it be called the "mosquito"??

I like how foes does all the asym work with the pivot and rear triangle. There's always a ton of features down in there that you'll never see on other bikes. You can be assured that this one is no exception, to get it all to "fit" together I am sure there is some pretty cool working of the rear triangle and pivot-yoke to make it all work. I couldn't believe that my foes FXR used a 68mmx113mm BB, but it fits like a glove.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by CBJ
As an Orange rider i wonder what difference the swing link makes in comparison to all the Orange bikes that does not have the swing link? No 1.5 on the Foes?
Stiffness, elimination of slide-loading on the shock, ability to ride the bike off-camber and have the suspension react to all the bumps instead of bind or deflect. It's a pretty dramatic feeling when you hop on one and ride it when you are use to riding bikes that don't have this feature. I see this as a pretty big movement in suspension right now. Just doing the "little" 4300 vert shuttles that we were doing last weekend, I was able to notice a huge difference between my FXR and just about anything else that i've ever ridden, when plowing through rock-gardens, especially when the terrain is loose.

The problem is this, take a bike like the bullit, look at where the pivot is, then you go up to where the shock mounts, the problem is that you can "twist" the rear end and even though the bullit is burely, the rear of the bike just acts like a lever and induces those loads on the shock-and it "twists" between the pivot and shock mount. Not to a huge degree, but to such a degree that adding a swing-link can dramatically stiffen it. Yeti biulds frames like this, as does Foes, and a few others now. It's not the only way to build a single pivot, as turner and others make triangulated-single pivot bikes, but it's definitly one of the "stiffest" ways to do it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by CBJ
The swing link makes the stroke more progressive and gives the designer some flexiblity in terms of shock placement. Plus the no side loading thing.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I talked to foes at sea otter... Its not a fly replacement, its another in between bike. 9" with triple ring... :eek:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Yeti DHer
I talked to foes at sea otter... Its not a fly replacement, its another in between bike. 9" with triple ring... :eek:
If the new bike has more travel, a full seat tube and a possibly lighter-yet-stronger frame.....uh....what's the point of the Fly again? :)

*edit* I'd like to qualify my statement by saying "the more the merrier". :cool:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm pretty stoked on the look of that bike. In all honesty, I've been working on something similar. I think we'll go through with the project based on all the positive comments about the Foes version.

From the looks of things it has the same low pivot location as the Fly, a similar linkage and the same 3.0" Curnutt shock. The biggest difference is obviously the full length seat tube. There will have to be at least one other diffrence too. The Fly gets a bit over 8" and has a 16.9" chainstay. With that low of a pivot the only way to get 9" of travel and still have a full length seat tube is to lenghten the swingarm about 1", raise the BB a lot, or a bit of both. This will make it handle and climb more like a DH bike than the already DHish Fly.

I could see a lot of riders wanting a bike like this that will have the ability to climb, or at least run 2 front gears, and still have full DH and big drop potential.

As for both this bike and the Fly existing for '05...I guess we'll have to wait for Foes to tell us.

[un]

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bernal Heights, SF
IMO it's simply the nicest Foes out there, no unnecessary embossed flames or swoopy complicated lines. I saw it in person at S.O. and noticed the top weld was filed down and I'm wondering if this is not going to create a weak spot (nice though). Keep it simple.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by [un]
IMO it's simply the nicest Foes out there, no unnecessary embossed flames or swoopy complicated lines...
From what I understand, the flames add rigidity to the frame they're stamped on. If that's true, they're necessary. Still not so good looking though IMO.

This frame looks the tits.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
The one downside i can guess is how steep that seat tube is. Especially for a bike with that much travel. They even have a back-bent (laidback) post on it to kinda compensate i guess? :confused: defeats the purpose of a full length seattube... Kinda reminds me of those lifted camaros...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by Shortbus
The one downside i can guess is how steep that seat tube is. Especially for a bike with that much travel. They even have a back-bent (laidback) post on it to kinda compensate i guess? :confused: defeats the purpose of a full length seattube... Kinda reminds me of those lifted camaros...
Keep in mind the whole bike is rotated forward cos it's on the workstand there... hard to really tell what the angle is like.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by Acadian
I'm with [um]..the Inferno frame is bloody ugly. Don't like those flames and the TT shape.

This one on the other hand....

Hey James...you're working on another bike?
Com'on Acadian...James is James@go-ride.com. Go-ride.com is... well go-ride.com. I guess I'll have to get my RM name changed to Scott@go-ride.com.

Krispy and I have been working on a new idea, but the project keeps getting larger and larger and then we get a breakthrough that makes it smaller. Which only leads to more ideas that get larger and larger. Does that make any sense?

I've got to get it narrowed down real soon so it will be done before Interbike 2011.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by go-ride.com
Krispy and I have been working on a new idea, but the project keeps getting larger and larger and then we get a breakthrough that makes it smaller. Which only leads to more ideas that get larger and larger. Does that make any sense?

I've got to get it narrowed down real soon so it will be done before Interbike 2011.
hahahaa

Welcome to my life! :D

I saw that bike at Sea Otter too, and I though that it looked great.

Dave

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
That bike makes my pants tight!

I still pine for my old Foes DHS tube. One of the best bikes I've ever had the pleasure to own, and the Foes workmanship was really on a whole other level than damn near anyone out there.

I'd be all over this one especially considering you've got full seatpost extension.

Damn!