Quantcast

New fork or new wheelset???

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
douglas said:
just curious, with no plans on racing why would you be worried about weight??

if I decided on no more racing, my criterea would be strong/sturdy/long lasting and price...with little concern on weight
That kind of thinking gets you a 40lb "everything" bike, Like mine. Lot's of fun peddaling it up Yokun. :dead:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
bluebug32 said:
Good suggestion. Can you run these tubeless?

Also, where was that fork?
Run em with Stans Strips and you can.

Maxxis also makes rim strips to fit Rhynolite rims - just get some Stans sealant and you are good to go with a whole bunch of tire options. Beware though the Maxxis Rim strips are a PITA to get to work well in my opinion.

The Talas R is in the suspension forum in the buy and sell. I think the seller wants $225 for it and it looks to be in great shape. You even replied to the seller in the thread.

Talas R - http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140363

And another good alternative if you prefer a coil over fork that is still light: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140414

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
That kind of thinking gets you a 40lb "everything" bike, Like mine. Lot's of fun peddaling it up Yokun. :dead:

AND one that will last for years (w/o having to get parts constantly fixed or replaced) even with me beating the crap out of it

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MMcG said:
The Talas R is in the suspension forum in the buy and sell. I think the seller wants $225 for it and it looks to be in great shape. You even replied to the seller in the thread.

Talas R - http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140363

And another good alternative if you prefer a coil over fork that is still light: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140414
Right. I did see that one. It's the wrong size though. I have 4" of travel. So I would need a 100mm fork, correct?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
bluebug32 said:
Right. I did see that one. It's the wrong size though. I have 4" of travel. So I would need a 100mm fork, correct?
Not necessarily. I run a 5" fork w/ 4" rear suspension and love it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
bluebug32 said:
The Talas is adjustable and the Vanilla can be changed to lower travel settings.

Also Fox forks have lower axle to crown height than most models so their 125mm fork may feel similar to a competitors 100mm version just based on the axle to crown heights.

You'd be fine running either fox on your Kikapu. :cool:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
douglas said:
just curious, with no plans on racing why would you be worried about weight??

if I decided on no more racing, my criterea would be strong/sturdy/long lasting and price...with little concern on weight
Just trying to not have a huge, insanely heavy all mountain rig, really.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
Those things are boat anchors. I doubt that's a good thing on a king kik....

Price is wicked good though - even less than the ones in the buy and sell forum. I can't remember which Rhynolite rim is the good one though? They make two versions and I thiink it is the welded one that is the better of the two.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MMcG said:
Price is wicked good though - even less than the ones in the buy and sell forum. I can't remember which Rhynolite rim is the good one though? They make two versions and I thiink it is the welded one that is the better of the two.
But Sun rims are a bear to change and it sounds like the strips to make them tubeless are also a pain. Not that I have to have tubeless, but I like the option and the weight savings. I'm trying to save whatever weight I can without being anal or spending a lot more. I do a lot of climbing and such.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
MMcG said:
Yeah, the price is right, but for $76 more, I'd rather go with the crosslands which are nearly a pound lighter.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
MMcG said:
The Talas is adjustable and the Vanilla can be changed to lower travel settings.

Also Fox forks have lower axle to crown height than most models so their 125mm fork may feel similar to a competitors 100mm version just based on the axle to crown heights.

You'd be fine running either fox on your Kikapu. :cool:
I was about to say....the Talas is adjustable 85-125mm. I think I read somewhere running a longer travel fork on a Kona will void your warrantee, but I'm not sure of that. Not to mention the King Kik came stock with a Float F100, so it's angles are designed around that axel/crown height fork.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
Those things are boat anchors. I doubt that's a good thing on a king kik....
Maybe you can bring your anchors to sell to me. They're disc compatable correct?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
My hardtail wheels? Yeah, disc hubs and rims.

I'm liking the oddsandendos wheels. Plus the colours are pretty slick as well.

Maybe if you contact the oddsandendos builder and order two sets he'll cut you a deal.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
Here's a thought on forks for people....

Do you actually use your lockout feature or is it a waste of perfectly good money?
it really depends on what sort of trails you ride...i could see that coming in handy out West far more often than the new england trails i ride. the only time it comes in handy (IMO) is for long, non-technical climbs. we don't have many around here.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
it really depends on what sort of trails you ride...i could see that coming in handy out West far more often than the new england trails i ride. the only time it comes in handy (IMO) is for long, non-technical climbs. we don't have many around here.

Exactly. Here in Norcal there are lots of rides with extended fireroad climbing and technical descents. It's also handy if you ride on the road at all, to get to the trails, for commuting or whatever. Lastly, if you ride a road bike at all you might be used to standing climbing now and then, and a lockout is great for that too.