Quantcast

new fork time

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I currently ride a Socom with with a 66 ETA. I use the bike for everything from DH racing to epic XC rides. Yes, I run a front derailer on a DH bike. Not too many resorts around here.;) Anyway, I have always been a die hard Zoke fan.

Forks Ive owned.
99-Z1 Bam
00-Jr T
01, 02, 03-Super T
04, 05, 06-888
07-66 RC2X
07-66 ETA

I like reliability. I hate to check air pressures before every ride, so air forks are out. I want something light though. I only know Zokes.... I really dont know much about what else it out there to be honest.

What is a good, light, reliable, non-air fork that I can race on the weekend, but XC/FR/trail ride during the week? It will see some drops, but nothing bigger than 10 ft to good trannys. I want at least 180mm of travel.

08 66 or 888?
08 Boxxer or Totem?

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have since 06 NEVER lost air in my WC boxxer but I would think the single crown Totem would be better for the XC riding. Don't know much about that fork and the mission control.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
as you know kanter i ride a socom as well and just made a change in my forks. i went from a boxxer team to a fox rc2 van fork and don't regreat it . it is 160mm i know it's not what you want but it's a great fork that i would highly recommend.just another option to think about.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You will be plenty happy with the new 08 66. Unfortunatly is your looking to keep the ETA your out of luck with the 66. The new 55 on the otherhand still has the ETA system, but your looking at 160mm travel.

I do have a question for you, why do you want to go away from what you already have??? Its a great fork, orks great its dependable 180mm of travel<Need to check it, some came with too much oil, limiting its travel> And its ready to become a climber with the flick of a switch.

If it just doesnt feel as good, then giver her an oil change, use 190cc's of oil in each side, and your good to go. SOmething like Torko gold, or other Synthetic fluid, If you really want it to feel like butter, replace about 10cc per side of the oil with teflon. You will love it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I really dont care about the ETA. I never use it. Its brand new.... maybe 80 miles.

Are the Totems reliable?

Im just looking to run something different.

Last edited:

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
There are alot of good options out there but I would NOT get an 08 zocchi. I have been a huge marzocchi fan for years but their 08 stuff is complete crap. They made sloppy bushings and then tried to pass it off as they are making the fork plusher. The forks blow through the travel easily no matter what you do with the adjustments and oil and when you do bottom there is a nice really loud metal on metal clanging sound that even happens at max oil height.

Why not just keep you fork right now, the pre-08 marzocchi stuff is great

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
There are alot of good options out there but I would NOT get an 08 zocchi. I have been a huge marzocchi fan for years but their 08 stuff is complete crap. They made sloppy bushings and then tried to pass it off as they are making the fork plusher. The forks blow through the travel easily no matter what you do with the adjustments and oil and when you do bottom there is a nice really loud metal on metal clanging sound that even happens at max oil height.

Why not just keep you fork right now, the pre-08 marzocchi stuff is great
You bagged on fox on mtbr as well, I come to think you will find a reason to complain about anything including this reply! Marz treated you really well when you came there and got you taken care of quickly.
I run Marz and hammered my 66 rc3 this weekend beyond what it should have seen and no issues. Reliable and trustworthy, as well as my 888 ata wc rocks and so does my air roco wc shock that I have bottomed several times now with ZERO issues. Ive raced it, hucked it and railed it as well as over shot a stupid 6' log drop to rocks and logs at big bear sat and it still held no issues. You need to quit siding with others as far as what you read and go on personal experience. I understand your headset issue that was crazy but jump off thew marz hating bandwagon support group and just ride!
08 marz stuff rocks just fine, Im not smooth Brit and it holds my point and shoot style just fine!

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
You bagged on fox on mtbr as well, I come to think you will find a reason to complain about anything including this reply! Marz treated you really well when you came there and got you taken care of quickly.
I run Marz and hammered my 66 rc3 this weekend beyond what it should have seen and no issues. Reliable and trustworthy, as well as my 888 ata wc rocks and so does my air roco wc shock that I have bottomed several times now with ZERO issues. Ive raced it, hucked it and railed it as well as over shot a stupid 6' log drop to rocks and logs at big bear sat and it still held no issues. You need to quit siding with others as far as what you read and go on personal experience. I understand your headset issue that was crazy but jump off thew marz hating bandwagon support group and just ride!
08 marz stuff rocks just fine, Im not smooth Brit and it holds my point and shoot style just fine!
I am very picky about suspension so I find faults in alot of things. marzocchi did rebuild my shock BUT it still blew through the travel infact it was even worse after it was rebuilt. I am not jumping on the hate marzocchi bandwagon, I am basing what I said on personal experience on 3 different 08 888's

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I run Marz and hammered my 66 rc3 this weekend beyond what it should have seen
I doubt that.

The '08 Marzocchi stuff is fine. Just set it up right like you would with any fork. The new 66's are pretty damned burly (I have owned an '07 66/888 ATA and '08 66/888 ATA, and the '08 chassis is way stiffer and more stable than the previous versions).

Totems get seal diarrhea if you just look at them wrong.

BTW, you only need like 4-5cc's of PURE Teflon thrown into the damper oil (NOT PTFE additive).

The air would give you something else to tinker with if that's what you like...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I am very picky about suspension so I find faults in alot of things. marzocchi did rebuild my shock BUT it still blew through the travel infact it was even worse after it was rebuilt. I am not jumping on the hate marzocchi bandwagon, I am basing what I said on personal experience on 3 different 08 888's
I dont know how you got 3 different 888's with issues but I have a 888 wc ata, mandown has one, schwinsrt8 has one as well as a few others I know and no issues. I hammer my 66 rc3 and Im not a small guy as well as Ive bottomed the crap outa both with no issues and my poor little wc air roco has seen its A-hole crammed up its shock mounts a few times and no issues still.
So theres a little play, 40s blow seals ALOT and lowers are thin, rockshox blow seals as well as are a little flexy and made in Taiwan like Marz is. So aside of some issues in which they are ironing out none of which might I add are catastophic at all or a liability issue to personal health, they are representing the product well and dealing with any issues.
The hole in the marz 55 thats all over also has a video somewhere in which the guy is hammering a DH style chute and loses it straight into stuff HARD. Its not a DH fork its light and nimble with some guidelines as to its purpose!

As far as you being picky, no! opinionated, yes!
I sat and had a talk with you there at marz, you are young and have some etiquete issues but so does any kid. Besides you are 15yrs old 6'7 and (250lbs +) cumbersoome so Im sure whatever you ride is going to take a hurting. :D
No offense intended, Im picky about people so Im just going off what I know first hand! :D:D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's not "hammering" it, that's just dumb. Most pro's wouldn't even be able to put one of those forks to their structural limits through any aggressive riding.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
The hole in the marz 55 thats all over also has a video somewhere in which the guy is hammering a DH style chute and loses it straight into stuff HARD. Its not a DH fork its light and nimble with some guidelines as to its purpose!

:picsstfu:, I havent seen it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That's not "hammering" it, that's just dumb. Most pro's wouldn't even be able to put one of those forks to their structural limits through any aggressive riding.
1st it was a oversight as far as the hit!
As far as info Id like to know as well as others that a product we stake are safety on has the capacity to absorb a bad choice or a bad line and maintain its structural integrity! College contractor/engineer menatality doesnt mean $hit in real world tests, its a basis at which they build a platform thats then put through its paces to find flaws! Hence warranty and upgrades!

Really, so is popping you mouth off constantly and slanging your opinions constantly. You dont see me calling you stupid, dumb or anything else. By all account I do think those things of you and worse at times but I control my self enough to conduct a reasonable and informative forum.
At this point I have pretty well hit a wall with your constant social ignorance and pompous attitude! Its getting old and I get tires of erasing what I type in order to conduct myself in a mature manor! So lets squash and quarrels or beef you may have with me and lets get on with things!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Kanter: Why are you not using ETA on steep uphills? You gain so much comfort while pedaling seated. Yes, your fork doesn't work, but my experience is, there is no way you can pedal some sustained steep climbs on a 66 without ETA.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
LOL mate by the look of your pic on sponserhouse your not that great!!! HA love your American way of over hyping stuff....:busted:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kanter: Why are you not using ETA on steep uphills? You gain so much comfort while pedaling seated. Yes, your fork doesn't work, but my experience is, there is no way you can pedal some sustained steep climbs on a 66 without ETA.
Thanks, I used the ETA a lot today. I made a few climbs I never have made before. Then I turned around at the top and bombed down an hit some drops. This fork is brand new and feels pretty darn close to an 888. Im keeping it. I sort of like the ETA thing. Ive really only used it a few times, but it rocks. Oil levels seem to be fine. I might ride it for awhile and then change the oil to Redline. Ive always used Redline in the past and it feels much better.

I built the Socom and the 66 ETA was the only fork they had in stock at the time. Im sort of glad now.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thanks, I used the ETA a lot today. I made a few climbs I never have made before. Then I turned around at the top and bombed down an hit some drops. This fork is brand new and feels pretty darn close to an 888. Im keeping it. I sort of like the ETA thing. Ive really only used it a few times, but it rocks. Oil levels seem to be fine. I might ride it for awhile and then change the oil to Redline. Ive always used Redline in the past and it feels much better.

I built the Socom and the 66 ETA was the only fork they had in stock at the time. Im sort of glad now.
Dude, the ETA function is friggin awesome when you remember to use it!!!! Soudns like your on the right path. Redline is a good oil to use, so is Torko gold, and fox synthetic.

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
Just say NO to Marzocchi in 2008, they are total crap.

I made the mistake of selling my 06 888 RC2X and "upgraded" to a 888 RC3 in February. When and I will emphasize "WHEN" the fork is in one piece, it feels pretty good. Good adjustability, good feel, very stiff but, keeping it in one piece has been a major headache.

3 days after I got the fork, I took a drop and the spring compression rod blew the nut out of the bottom of the lowers. Cracked the casting and the fork dropped its oil from the right leg. Marzocchi wouldn't warranty it and said it was a "crash". $180 for new lowers, $20 for new decals and $20 for shipping.

Lowers set #2 installed, fresh oil change and about 50 miles of trail time in a week. The fork still looked brand new. First run down a rocky section of trail and I nicked a rock which put a nice little gouge in the lowers, but nothing I havn't done to other forks in the past. Later that day I notice the fork is only getting about 6" of travel, sure enough that gouge also was a dent and it was pushing the bushings into the path of the stachions and causing the fork to bind up... No warranty on this one either, so another $180 this time for the generic black lowers...

On to lowers set #3.

Lowers set #3.
Have had this set of lowers for a couple months, when last week the right side seal starts puking oil. Not a little residue on the stanchion, but full blown puking oil down the back of the lowers.

The 08 Zoke stuff sucks, and I loved Zoke before all this crap, now I am looking for a real fork for 08 but it doesn't seem anyone is stepping up to the plate with a real heavy duty DH/FR dual crown these days.:plthumbsdown:

Attachments

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Dude, the ETA function is friggin awesome when you remember to use it!!!! Soudns like your on the right path. Redline is a good oil to use, so is Torko gold, and fox synthetic.
Ive been rebuilding and changing the oil in Zoke forks for a long time. Ill switch the oil out after I get back from Whistler. I like a mix of 37% Red Line (Light, Yellow) & 63% Red Line (Medium, Red).

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Ive been rebuilding and changing the oil in Zoke forks for a long time. Ill switch the oil out after I get back from Whistler. I like a mix of 37% Red Line (Light, Yellow) & 63% Red Line (Medium, Red).
How the hell did you arrive at that?? I'm all for mixing oils to achieve different effective weights, but I have never seen any practicality in doing anything beyond 10%'s.

I've been curious to try the RedLine stuff, but it's pretty hard to source. I've had very good luck with the Pro Honda/Showa synthetic stuff that's easy to find at most moto stores, although I think they have stopped making a 7.5w...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How the hell did you arrive at that?? I'm all for mixing oils to achieve different effective weights, but I have never seen any practicality in doing anything beyond 10%'s.

I've been curious to try the RedLine stuff, but it's pretty hard to source. I've had very good luck with the Pro Honda/Showa synthetic stuff that's easy to find at most moto stores, although I think they have stopped making a 7.5w...
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm

I buy the Redline from Redline's website.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
so far 4 of my buddies have bought new 08 marz forks. 2 of them have huge bushing slop 2 dont.

i personally am not happy with marz over the past few years. my 06 888 was pimp. i upgraded to an 07 air and it sucked. all the known issues as everybody else has published. marz had it for a month and it came back to be still sucking. i called tech support 3 times to no avail. asked if i could change it out for a coil or just do something to make it work... nope... 6 inches of travel for you.i sold it for $300 to get rid of it.

My buddies have a 66 coil and a 888 air. both have bad bushing slop. it feels worse than a loose headset. Im waiting to see what marz is going to do if anything...

i would suggest a boxxer, personally i have had good luck with rock shox over the past few years. Kowa is another good option if you want to play with a new fork that not too many people have. i have a 160 air that is probably one of my favorite forks ever.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
they replaced my bushings when i sent my fork in to get my uppers replaced. They also gave me new lowers because my axle turned out to be fine, my lowers were manufactured incorrectly. Its running pretty smooth with no slop now, (very early 66rc3), but not real impressed with the quality (pre sending it back, and overall because of that).

plus, the marz cs guy at sea otter noticed that I had terrible bushing slop and didn't offer to replace it, or even to let me know that they were replacing it, after clearly noticing it right on front of me (bounced up and down on the fork, got a "woah this is bad" look on his face, and quickly tried to get rid of me), and then subsequently treated me like a douche. I'll be giving my money to RS next time

Last edited: