Quantcast

New fork

MattAllDay

Chimp
Jun 18, 2010
Hey in riding a 2009 Specialized Big hit two but i do a lot of downhill riding an i wanna upgrade to a dual crown fork to help out on those gnar trails. If you have any forks that you use an like or now about id appreciate ur thoughts on Forks ?:weee: thanks

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
get a used '08/'09 boxxer team and you are golden! over here you get them for ca. 300,-€ and the fork itself is fantastic.

MattAllDay

Chimp
Jun 18, 2010
yea i was thinking of getting a Monster T im a big dude an im pretty sure a beefy fork like that would work the best for me

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
yea i was thinking of getting a Monster T im a big dude an im pretty sure a beefy fork like that would work the best for me
Why? You land jumps short all the time? You drop to flat for fun? Seriously the whole Im a big dude I need an anvil for a bike is silly. If you are worried about durability get a 07 rc2x zoke but monster makes no sense.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah that whole school of thought got tired in 02' - technology is good and works for almost anyone, get a modern fork and beef up the springs...i would however go with the larger tubes of the fox 40

Thiago

Chimp
Mar 15, 2004
House
If you want something really time-reliable get an 888.

You don't seem to be a all-time downhiller so service on Fox and Boxxers maybe would get you sick and tired of 'em.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
What's wrong with '99-'02 Monsters? Oh yeah, I forgot, the weight... but, it is only about 1 kg heavier than many modern forks, and I seriously think that it's not that big of a deal.
Of course the Monster is not the fork to get if you are racing seriously at the top level, but for riding for fun the reliability of a Monster is a big plus, and it's not like you couldn't race with one, too. I do occasionally race with my '99 Monster. I bought it about a year ago for dirt cheap and am happy with it.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Hey in riding a 2009 Specialized Big hit two but i do a lot of downhill riding an i wanna upgrade to a dual crown fork to help out on those gnar trails. If you have any forks that you use an like or now about id appreciate ur thoughts on Forks ?:weee: thanks
I have one 2005 zoki shiver to sale, if you are interest. You can drop me the email.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What's wrong with '99-'02 Monsters? Oh yeah, I forgot, the weight... but, it is only about 1 kg heavier than many modern forks, and I seriously think that it's not that big of a deal.
Of course the Monster is not the fork to get if you are racing seriously at the top level, but for riding for fun the reliability of a Monster is a big plus, and it's not like you couldn't race with one, too. I do occasionally race with my '99 Monster. I bought it about a year ago for dirt cheap and am happy with it.
Old monsters = crappy damper If I remember right.

Also - whats the point of all the oldschool nonsense? If cash is not an issue Id just go 2010 zoke.

MattAllDay

Chimp
Jun 18, 2010
Yea i mean i was talking to a guy who has one an we were riding an he said the only thing was the weight but im not racing so thats no an issue an money is an issue.......the monster T i can get isn't crazy cash an its gonna stand up to anything an i mainly ride DH.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yea i mean i was talking to a guy who has one an we were riding an he said the only thing was the weight but im not racing so thats no an issue an money is an issue.......the monster T i can get isn't crazy cash an its gonna stand up to anything an i mainly ride DH.
That much weight WILL BE an issue. The monsters that had hscv damping were over 5kg, modern forks are 2 - 2.5 kg lighter. Thats a huge differance in how the bike will handle. You can get a used 888 from the 06-07 years for cheap. Avoid the 04-05 ones as they are crazy high and will ruin your geo.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Old monsters = crappy damper If I remember right.
That much weight WILL BE an issue. The monsters that had hscv damping were over 5kg, modern forks are 2 - 2.5 kg lighter.
I think it's the newer Monsters that have the crappy damper, as from 2003 onwards the Monster T was made for hucking.

The older (1999-2002) 175mm travel Monsters weigh only :-)rolleyes:) about 4.2 kg, only 1 kg more than BOS Idylle, for instance.

Of course there are better forks out there, but old Monster T is quite a good and reliable fork for very small money.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think it's the newer Monsters that have the crappy damper, as from 2003 onwards the Monster T was made for hucking.

The older (1999-2002) 175mm travel Monsters weigh only :-)rolleyes:) about 4.2 kg, only 1 kg more than BOS Idylle, for instance.

Of course there are better forks out there, but old Monster T is quite a good and reliable fork for very small money.
HSCV was introduced in 2002 so yeah because they were advertised for hucking they must have inferior damping... The only monster from the years you quoted Id dig is the 2002 - still you can get a shiver or a 07 rc2x that is lighter and performs better.
Also 1kg more is still really a big differance for a single part. Im no weight wennie but you really feel that much weight and no one really needs the extra durability, while a lot of ppl would need the extra 25mm of travel (compared to the monsters you recomend).

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I have been under an impression that it was the name of the HSCV that was introduced in 2002, the actual damping cartridge was pretty similar to what they had been using for years already.

And from 2003 to 2005 the 200mm travel Monsters had damping called "Shiver Motocross cartridges", the only models advertised as HSCV were the 2002 and the 2006 models.

But, I'm not arguing that the Monster (and I'm talking about the 175mm models) isn't heavy and short travel fork by todays standards, I just think it is still a pretty good fork for non weight weenie casual riders with a tight budget. You make it sound like it is total crap.

By the way, according to weight weenies the 2001 Shiver weighs 3859 g, only some 350 g lighter than the Monster. And Shivers are notorious for their flexiness.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have been under an impression that it was the name of the HSCV that was introduced in 2002, the actual damping cartridge was pretty similar to what they had been using for years already.

And from 2003 to 2005 the 200mm travel Monsters had damping called "Shiver Motocross cartridges", the only models advertised as HSCV were the 2002 and the 2006 models.

But, I'm not arguing that the Monster (and I'm talking about the 175mm models) isn't heavy and short travel fork by todays standards, I just think it is still a pretty good fork for non weight weenie casual riders with a tight budget. You make it sound like it is total crap.

By the way, according to weight weenies the 2001 Shiver weighs 3859 g, only some 350 g lighter than the Monster. And Shivers are notorious for their flexiness.
But they perform better and are still very strong. For stiffness go with a 888 rc2x. Also lighter than a monster and as durable. Its not a completely crappy fork - it just doesnt make sense when there are better options.

As for the HSCV and what it was called Im pretty sure there were older monsters with SSV, just dont know where it stopped.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
If you are looking for the MX cartridges. They where also in the 05 line. 888RC, 66RC, and I believe even the Z1 Freeride. If your not concerned about weight or A/C height those where IMO the best forks Marzocchi made. I had a really hard time getting rid of 66 but the A/C height was was close to 40mm higher than current dual crowns at 203mm of travel.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If you are looking for the MX cartridges. They where also in the 05 line. 888RC, 66RC, and I believe even the Z1 Freeride. If your not concerned about weight or A/C height those where IMO the best forks Marzocchi made. I had a really hard time getting rid of 66 but the A/C height was was close to 40mm higher than current dual crowns at 203mm of travel.
Actually 20mm higher/10mm higher for 07+ marzo. It was 595mm if I remember right. Not 615mm ;)

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
what do you all think about 38mm zochi 888 RCV with upgraded air kit and avalanche cartridge? :P it'd weight about 3kg, I guess. Better than 888RC3? Mods incl slightly used RCV could cost about same as new 888rc3 (700€),hmm. Currently riding old frame and fork from year 2002 (Super T)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
what do you all think about 38mm zochi 888 RCV with upgraded air kit and avalanche cartridge? :P it'd weight about 3kg, I guess. Better than 888RC3? Mods incl slightly used RCV could cost about same as new 888rc3 (700€),hmm. Currently riding old frame and fork from year 2002 (Super T)
Avalanche kit is SICK!!!! It would be cool to see people modding forks and adding this.. I know loonatic is in the process of doing this as well for a boxxer...

The cart in any fork is SICK....