Quantcast

New Formula DH Brake - (not The One) unnamed

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
not sure if it is a new DH brake or only a do it all brake ;)

but for sure there will be a new The One for 2011 as well. was already mounted on the new RM Slayer

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4879295/
Ya, i have seen the 2011 The One, but the only change their is the adjustability...

the unamed one is totally new and claimed to have even more power then the actual The One. Therfore I think it will be a DH Brake.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Avid may be in trouble, but shimano won't. Saint!
Actualy if they will be they'll be booth as code and saint are similar brakes (weight and power wise) though I doubt it as formula will cost a ton again. Though if it works(pre 09 issues with seals for many formula models) it may be a superior product considering how light and strong they can go.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Actualy if they will be they'll be booth as code and saint are similar brakes (weight and power wise) though I doubt it as formula will cost a ton again. Though if it works(pre 09 issues with seals for many formula models) it may be a superior product considering how light and strong they can go.
Now with so much stopping power you could run smaller rotors to save weight even more..

Good for them!

I like the 2010 "The Ones" just fine cant imaging more power, and a 203 front 185 rear is pretty spot on. Only change Id like to see has already been addressed and thats the pad contact adjuster as well as a knob for the lever reach so its more stop and adjust vs. stop pull out hte multi tool adjust put the tool back and continue then hope you zipped the pack up. :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Now with so much stopping power you could run smaller rotors to save weight even more..

Good for them!

I like the 2010 "The Ones" just fine cant imaging more power, and a 203 front 185 rear is pretty spot on. Only change Id like to see has already been addressed and thats the pad contact adjuster as well as a knob for the lever reach so its more stop and adjust vs. stop pull out hte multi tool adjust put the tool back and continue then hope you zipped the pack up. :D
Does the pad contact adjuster work in the 09 ones? The only reason I didn't switch from my oros turned biancos to the ones is that on my friends bike you can really feel the pad wear and you cant counter the growing lever throw with the adjusters in his 08 model. Well that and the fact that both his and mine had some relability problems.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Loved the 09s I was really dissappointed with these not having the adjusters. I like to e able to accomodate worn pads... Now when the get 1/3 pad left they are a bit finicky but that was the case on Biancos I had as well...

I will retrofit these when they release the adjuster in 2011....

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
from mtbr:

Hidden away in the innards of the booth was some very interesting Skunk Works projects that Chris Costello of Formula Brakes USA was kind enough to show us.

First off, was a lightweight and very powerful brake, that is so far unnamed, so let’s call it Uberpower! The brake uses 2 large oval shaped pistons, for maximum pad contact and pressure, without the added issues of a 4 pot system. The squat one-piece forged aluminum caliper offers a stronger and more stable body, and top loading pads!.

The flip-flop lever uses the R1 and The One radial master cylinder and split clamp family architecture, but has a reach and pad contact adjuster. The adjustability on the lever allows for a great deal of tunings. The brakes are so powerful that a 160 should be sufficient for any riding short of downhill, which itself should only require a 180! A guesstimate for the weight (brake, mount, rotor) should in the low 300 grams?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Loved the 09s I was really dissappointed with these not having the adjusters. I like to e able to accomodate worn pads... Now when the get 1/3 pad left they are a bit finicky but that was the case on Biancos I had as well...

I will retrofit these when they release the adjuster in 2011....
If the quick adjuster on the biancos wasn't enough with a long key you could turn it even more ;) Thats why the 08 adjuster on the one was crappy for me imho - without it I'd hate my formula.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006

Good for them!

so if you had 2009 "the ones" you'd be all set.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I am on Formula Brakes for 4 years now, have/had all kind of oros and the 08 and the 10 The One - no propblems at all with yery little maintenance. Even my 4 year old Oro K18 works still perfect on my trail bike......

Formulas are light, strong and a IMO plug and play brakes:thumb:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nice post....TROLL:thumb:

I second everything Bullcrew states above. I also use 09 and 10 Ones.
Its not Trolling. I dont see why you are so agressive towards him because he doesnt like your brakes? Seriously - a lot of ppl have had many problems with formula brakes. If you are lucky yours work flawlessly, if not they are a PITA. For that money its unacceptable.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So you have to have enough post to claim that a so called quality product is bad? I wouldnt buy a formula brake again. They are light and take hits well but they have the same problems hopes had in the older days. Random numbers of them work well randomly ;)

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
So you have to have enough post to claim that a so called quality product is bad?
nope, never said that and never infered that .

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Formula Brakes. They've been good for me, I've even managed to bleed them perfectly by reading the directions. :thumb:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Really dont suggest I didnt bleed them properly. I had them them properly but the orings and the seals melted or were melted (with the proper fluid!). Sometimes the leve felt hard sometimes it went soft. 6 months like that on my oros, same for 2 ones my friends used. Now it works ok with a new set of seals but it can get moody.
I say they have a great product on their hands but maybe instead of pushing the boundries of the sport they should fix the random issues first. Once a while I still see people with problems with the ones and oros. Supposedly the newer ones are better but at that price Im just not willing to risk it. Ill wait for others to test them.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Really dont suggest I didnt bleed them properly. I had them them properly but the orings and the seals melted or were melted (with the proper fluid!). Sometimes the leve felt hard sometimes it went soft. 6 months like that on my oros, same for 2 ones my friends used. Now it works ok with a new set of seals but it can get moody.
I say they have a great product on their hands but maybe instead of pushing the boundries of the sport they should fix the random issues first. Once a while I still see people with problems with the ones and oros. Supposedly the newer ones are better but at that price Im just not willing to risk it. Ill wait for others to test them.
Wow, I know a lot of riders / racers on them for the past couple of seasons never heard of any seals melting ! you either had a bad batch or you need to lay off the brakes a little more !!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Wow, I know a lot of riders / racers on them for the past couple of seasons never heard of any seals melting ! you either had a bad batch or you need to lay off the brakes a little more !!
There was a big bad batch of k24s but even after I exchanged the seals they are still unpredictable and moody. Same for the 08 (and prolly 09) ones. - havent heard about any seal problems but they like the unexpected. They work but they are not really confidence expiring.

btw. what has seal melting to do with braking much? ;) With the new fluid I cant overheat mine, even on 4km tracks and Im a rather mid pack non pro rider so in some cases I brake a lot.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So you have to have enough post to claim that a so called quality product is bad? I wouldnt buy a formula brake again. They are light and take hits well but they have the same problems hopes had in the older days. Random numbers of them work well randomly ;)
QFT

Saint '10 - find a flaw.

Superiority is obvious.

Flame away.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
bled my front today to displace the worn pads void and 2 minutes perfect bleed... As always a total dream to bleed the back is perfect from last time and plenty of DH since then...

Love the Formula brakes:

Wish they would leave the adjustments like 09s but the body like the 10s... Gedtting rid of pad contact =s no good..... Still love the brakes... :D

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
QFT

Saint '10 - find a flaw.

Superiority is obvious.

Flame away.
Saints aren't perfect, it's just that they have so much power that their (admittedly minor) flaws are rendered almost irrelevant. They're hard to get all the air out of (compared to all other Shimano brakes), they have a tendency to pump up slightly and change the bite point as you ride, the bite point adjuster is really just a lever-notchiness adjuster, and the brake pads cost $70cad.

However, I own a set too, and be damned if I'll run anything else that's currently on the market. The power and feel is just too good.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Wish they would leave the adjustments like 09s but the body like the 10s... Gedtting rid of pad contact =s no good..... Still love the brakes... :D
The lever on the picture has the FCS(feel control system) like on the old ones and oro's.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Weight. My '09 Ones are almost 3/4 of a pound lighter.

I just bought a set of '10 Saints though, so...
I was doubting, so I hit up sicklines, and woe - that is def a big dif!

Still keepin them!

:weee:

(I'm always right! Especially on teh Googlenet)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The lever on the picture has the FCS(feel control system) like on the old ones and oro's.
Looks a bit taller than previous and more prenounced with the lever curve as it doesnt go horizontal with the bars and drops off making a fair bit of a leverage point for that little dial to get ripped off. I know the lever angle and curve is because of the new body, and the new ONES hook up great mine have been flawless as all the ones and oros in the past just not liking the nub sticking out front and having the lever drop away a bit from it...

Possibly a adjuster closer to the lever, avid 7s did it. Theres is a plastic (isnt the greatest but works well) star looking dial... I dont want a plastic one on there I prefer that aluminum but maybe a bit more sleek.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Seriously? IIRC we've got 'em for about $32 USD.
Yeah seriously, the price is the same in Australia too. All other brake pads are around the $25-30 mark, not sure what's so special about these that they have to cost more than twice as much. Wanna send me some? :)

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
QFT

Saint '10 - find a flaw.

Superiority is obvious.

Flame away.
biggest flaw? i can't run them. too powerful. I tried a '10 glory demo bike with '10 saints on it and no matter how much i tried to feather the brake, i would lock em up. :shocked: it blew my mind how much power these things had. and whats weird is I'm not really super light (155lbs with gear) but they would just GRAB.

the one set of formula brakes i tried? totally agree with norbar, sketchy. you never really knew where the bite point was going to be and they had variable modulation, it was a really weird feeling. so unfortunately voodoo, this is another vote against.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah seriously, the price is the same in Australia too. All other brake pads are around the $25-30 mark, not sure what's so special about these that they have to cost more than twice as much. Wanna send me some? :)
There were some direct order companies that allowed you to order brake pads in bundles (I think 4 sets) and then you could get most brakes for under 10$(per set). Though I cant remember a name right now.

Though 70$ seems overkill. Just order goodridge(or some other company) from crc at the begining of the season with some other gear and you should be fine.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Superstar pads I think you mean. Mine last and work incredibly well, indistinguishable from oem or goodridge to me. Using sintered btw

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Norbar, it sounds like you have the plastic pistons in your levers. If you do, then switch them out to the aluminum pistons and the stickiness and random performance will be gone.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Thats interesting. Thanks for the info. If it works I may keep my oros as they have enough power and I love how bombproof the levers are. Does it aply to oros and ones? Because it would also help some of my friends.